Feile an Phobail

Started by StGallsGAA, August 11, 2016, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2022, 03:04:52 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2022, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2022, 02:34:24 PM
I see a girl is getting her P45 after posting herself singing at WT gig...

Singing what exactly? I'm not quite in the Wolfe Tones fan club, but you could sing the Streets of New York with the Wolfe Tones and it would hardly be offensive to anyone or The Black Velvet band.
Presumably the Celtic Symphony (oh ah up the ra)

One wonders why exactly you would post a video of yourself singing up the Ra if you worked in Portadown.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Singing what exactly? I'm not quite in the Wolfe Tones fan club, but you could sing the Streets of New York with the Wolfe Tones and it would hardly be offensive to anyone or The Black Velvet band.

I think she would have been grand if she was singing any of those songs in the video . . .

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2022, 03:23:49 PM

One wonders why exactly you would post a video of yourself singing up the Ra if you worked in Portadown.
Young and immature would be my guess.

trailer

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2022, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2022, 03:23:49 PM

Young and immature would be my guess.

Looks like she videoed and posted it herself.

RedHand88

Like I said, the Dundonald Orange Hall incident was a watershed moment. Alot of people will think twice now before taking part in a sing song.

general_lee

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 18, 2022, 05:06:20 PM
Like I said, the Dundonald Orange Hall incident was a watershed moment. Alot of people will think twice now before taking part in a sing song.
Does it end now? Or do we wait for the Richard Jameson Lambeg drumming competition? Or the Brian Robinson memorial parade to start doxxing Loyalists and telling their employers they like to spend their free time glorifying terrorists?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

One good thing , Unionists less likely to be having this internal debate, they have loads of Snapchats and Martys

GAABoardMod5

Personal feuds seem to be appearing on this thread.

I'm asking everybody to cease the personal stuff, or all of you will get a week off the board.

No more warnings.

clarshack

Will folk get suspended from their jobs if caught singing the Billy Boys? I'm not so sure.

screenexile

Quote from: clarshack on August 18, 2022, 09:53:44 PM
Will folk get suspended from their jobs if caught singing the Billy Boys? I'm not so sure.

If you get enough of a social media pile on I'd say yeah. Especially a big outfit.

I see some genius has been prank calling Bryson with threats about his son... some great volunteers for the cause 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Wildweasel74

It wouldn't be too hard for the Wolf to best to by pass that song when they do gigs up here. I remember Iron Maiden bypassing on the song the trooper for a few years, and at a actual gig having to call out some pricks (in his words using a album cover as their Shankill Mural)

balladmaker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2022, 10:55:32 PM
It wouldn't be too hard for the Wolf to best to by pass that song when they do gigs up here. I remember Iron Maiden bypassing on the song the trooper for a few years, and at a actual gig having to call out some pricks (in his words using a album cover as their Shankill Mural)

The actual song ain't the problem, it has been performed at many, many venues across the north for the last 33 years with not a word said outside of Feile ... the problem is the faux outrage aided and abetted by the biased northern press led by Stephen Nolan.  What is more shocking is how many from a supposed nationalist background on this board who have been swayed by the reporting of that same press.  So you get rid of Celtic Symphony, then what ... Broad Black Brimmer ... Sean South, Come Out Ye Black 'n Tans ... Boys of the Old Brigade ... then when done with the songs, let's move on to renaming GAA clubs across the north?!  The problem ain't the song when performed to 10,000 people in a park in West Belfast, none of whom in attendance took any offence to it ... the problem is the faux outrage from the usual suspects who were not in attendance, and they are best ignored.  Andree Murphy hit the nail on the head in today's Irish News. 

To those who make comparisons between a song written for Celtic FC's 100th Anniversary and performed across the world without issue, and a song being sung in an OO hall, written to mock the murder of a Catholic bride on honeymoon ... catch a grip.

clarshack

Quote from: screenexile on August 18, 2022, 10:43:25 PM
Quote from: clarshack on August 18, 2022, 09:53:44 PM

If you get enough of a social media pile on I'd say yeah. Especially a big outfit.

I see some genius has been prank calling Bryson with threats about his son... some great volunteers for the cause 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

For me Ooh ah up the Ra and the Billy Boys are on the same level. The Michaela McAreavey song was on a completely different level altogether.

It's a slippery slope, do we start cancelling people who were even at the concert at the weekend or any Wolfe Tones concert in the past? Where does it end?

Milltown Row2

It's simple and has nothing to do with WT's or any of their songs... if you want a UI then you'll not get it without the soft unionists. Now if you are happy with the way things are then hell yes blast those tunes out and give them what they are looking for, an excuse to stay in the UK.

You won't get a UI in your life time without a percentage of their vote, forget the census, like Scotland you'll get those that are only concerned with their own lives and how their lifestyles (in their own heads) would be changed

Stop aping them is a start...

But the division has cranked up because of social media, the pure rotten comments on social media pages has shown that it won't be happening any day soon.

In fairness I still think it's a fairytale, it's getting worse

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Also you shouldn't really be singing "ooh ah up the Ra" in this day and age...

As for above "do people who attended the concert get cancelled?"

Well no the girl who lost her job was on video singing ooh ah up the ra and hasn't the brains to realise you can't do that anymore.

Times change billy boys and Celtic symphony aren't gonna cut it anymore.