Dublin V Kerry 28/08/16 3.30pm RTE/SKY.

Started by The Aristocrat, August 08, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erne Man

Looking forward to this one - not because I think it will be close, but more a curiosity to see if Kerry offer anything different from what they have delivered over the past 2 years. The reality now is that both individually and collectively Dublin are the most outstanding team in the country, and that has been demonstrated to a consistently high standard over a number of years. Kerry are the latest to try and out-think Dublin, but I just don't believe it can be done this year.
For all the talk of Kerry's attacking strategy for Sunday and whether they can unleash an inside line of Geaney - Donaghy - O'Donoghue, their middle eight are considerably weaker than Dublin's and this will be there downfall. They don't have enough pace and power in this area, with converted half backs in the forwards, midfielders in defence, and an average midfield by Kerry standards. I cant see them getting enough quality ball into their talented inside men, as Dublin's athleticism always means they have bodies in the right place, regardless of whether they are tactically set up correctly or not
If conditions are good I think Dublin could do a serious job on Kerry in this one - an 8pts+ win isn't fanciful.
I think defeat on Sunday ends the careers of a lot of Kerry players, and probably the manager as well. The old guard owe Fitzmaurice a big game, as he has been savagely loyal to them over the past 2 years, but I dont think that will happen.

yellowcard

Quote from: Erne Man on August 26, 2016, 09:35:19 PM
Looking forward to this one - not because I think it will be close, but more a curiosity to see if Kerry offer anything different from what they have delivered over the past 2 years. The reality now is that both individually and collectively Dublin are the most outstanding team in the country, and that has been demonstrated to a consistently high standard over a number of years. Kerry are the latest to try and out-think Dublin, but I just don't believe it can be done this year.
For all the talk of Kerry's attacking strategy for Sunday and whether they can unleash an inside line of Geaney - Donaghy - O'Donoghue, their middle eight are considerably weaker than Dublin's and this will be there downfall. They don't have enough pace and power in this area, with converted half backs in the forwards, midfielders in defence, and an average midfield by Kerry standards. I cant see them getting enough quality ball into their talented inside men, as Dublin's athleticism always means they have bodies in the right place, regardless of whether they are tactically set up correctly or not
If conditions are good I think Dublin could do a serious job on Kerry in this one - an 8pts+ win isn't fanciful.
I think defeat on Sunday ends the careers of a lot of Kerry players, and probably the manager as well. The old guard owe Fitzmaurice a big game, as he has been savagely loyal to them over the past 2 years, but I dont think that will happen.

When you look at the Kerry team sheet that's what sticks out like a sore thumb. The Dubs have a big advantage in this area. All of their players are like 400m runners, supreme athletes who can all play football. Kerry have some good players like Crowley, Moran and Walsh in this area but nowhere near the strength of Dublin.

Owenmoresider

Chimley

I can't wait to see this game tomorrow and where the two teams are really at this year. Kerry have been more blessed than Mayo on the run to the semi final but they've looked efficient and having O' Donaghue fit is a big plus. The Dubs have spluttered a bit in recent games but have never looked like losing. The Kerrymen will certainly test the crackly nature of Connolly and McMahon to see if they can get them to bite. Gavin will surely have been working on this since the quarter final but the questions around discipline are still there to be answered.

Il Bomber Destro

The Kerry media have been in full flow this week, each trying to convince each other they can do it while not really believing what they are writing themselves.

A lot of people have made the point that the margin of victories in the last two games despite Kerry being poor which gives them hope from a Kerry perspective. I look at it in a different way, Dublin dominated Kerry in those two games despite being in cruise control and extremely wasteful in those games. As I see it, Kerry are beaten before they even enter the pitch, Dublin right now to them is a lot worse than Tyrone were back in 00s.

Who knows what will happen but the way the Kerry media and players are building themselves up into a public frenzy trying to convince themselves they can do it must be music to Dublin's ears. They can see this facade for what it is.

The Kerry backline is a huge cause for concern as well, apart from Crowley they are all weak links. Young is a decent wing back but he's not really up to it at corner back. Enright is the most overrated player in the country, a black card waiting to happen at any stage in the game when he inevitably gets roasted. Griffin has been knocking about the panel for years but Fitzmaurice has opted for veterans well past their best ahead of him, hardly a vote of confidence for his abilities. The two wing backs are rookies who have never played in a game of this magnitude and they come up against some of the best in the business. Crowley is a good player but he gets involve in a lot of nonsense and is lucky he doesn't have his card marked by the media - he would if he played for other counties. I'll presume he'll be the one tasked with getting Connolly sent off.

Kerry have to start like a house on fire because if Dublin build an early lead up and Kerry have to step out and stop protecting that defence it could get very messy for them.

seafoid

Kerry could get a real hammering. They have racked up all Irelands over the last 15 years but mostly by beating the psychologically weak Cork and Mayo, both twice . The only strong team they beat since 2000 in an all Ireland is Donegal.
Their record is not as good as it looks on paper. 

ashman

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2016, 09:11:58 AM
Kerry could get a real hammering. They have racked up all Irelands over the last 15 years but mostly by beating the psychologically weak Cork and Mayo, both twice . The only strong team they beat since 2000 in an all Ireland is Donegal.

So Dublin (2) . Tyrone (2) and Armagh (1) were soft All Ireland cos they beat a weak Kerry team .  Thanks for that .

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: ashman on August 27, 2016, 09:31:02 AM

So Dublin (2) . Tyrone (2) and Armagh (1) were soft All Ireland cos they beat a weak Kerry team .  Thanks for that .
Kerry couldn't beat Tyrone and it looks like they can't beat Dublin. Why would that be ?

bennydorano

I hope Kerry make a game of it. I think Dublin will really do a number on them.

yellowcard

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 27, 2016, 09:04:58 AM
The Kerry media have been in full flow this week, each trying to convince each other they can do it while not really believing what they are writing themselves.

A lot of people have made the point that the margin of victories in the last two games despite Kerry being poor which gives them hope from a Kerry perspective. I look at it in a different way, Dublin dominated Kerry in those two games despite being in cruise control and extremely wasteful in those games. As I see it, Kerry are beaten before they even enter the pitch, Dublin right now to them is a lot worse than Tyrone were back in 00s.

Who knows what will happen but the way the Kerry media and players are building themselves up into a public frenzy trying to convince themselves they can do it must be music to Dublin's ears. They can see this facade for what it is.

The Kerry backline is a huge cause for concern as well, apart from Crowley they are all weak links. Young is a decent wing back but he's not really up to it at corner back. Enright is the most overrated player in the country, a black card waiting to happen at any stage in the game when he inevitably gets roasted. Griffin has been knocking about the panel for years but Fitzmaurice has opted for veterans well past their best ahead of him, hardly a vote of confidence for his abilities. The two wing backs are rookies who have never played in a game of this magnitude and they come up against some of the best in the business. Crowley is a good player but he gets involve in a lot of nonsense and is lucky he doesn't have his card marked by the media - he would if he played for other counties. I'll presume he'll be the one tasked with getting Connolly sent off.

Kerry have to start like a house on fire because if Dublin build an early lead up and Kerry have to step out and stop protecting that defence it could get very messy for them.

That is something very unusual for Kerry. Normally they are trying to talk themselves down without believing what they are saying becuase underneath they have a superiority complex. This time around it is the opposite you feel with Sheehan and Fitzmaurice talking themselves up because underneath you feel as though they have now got an inferiority complex with Dublin. They are issuing a rally call to try and convince themselves they can beat the Dubs. They know they can't match them football wise so they are going to have to reduce themselves to the role of a giant killer by going defensive and winning through some previously unseen tactic rather than relying on simple football ability. I really hope Kerry can do themselves justice and we can see a classic because the closer this game gets and when I look at the Kerry teamsheet I can only see one outcome.

ballinaman

Quote from: bennydorano on August 27, 2016, 11:32:39 AM
I hope Kerry make a game of it. I think Dublin will really do a number on them.
Agreed. Shocked if it's not Dublin by 6+.

ashman

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2016, 11:27:35 AM
Quote from: ashman on August 27, 2016, 09:31:02 AM

Kerry couldn't beat Tyrone and it looks like they can't beat Dublin. Why would that be ?

They weren't good enough . Dublin are far far better now to be frank .  Nothing to do with mental stuff , tradition etc ....

Hound

So McCarthy in and Kilkenny back to half forward.

Bastick in for Macauley (annoyed at that, MDMA wasn't great v Donegal, but Bastick was worse when he came on)

Mannion in, Andrews and Kev Mac dropped (flummoxed at that)

Not that you can trust the team named would be the starting team!

moysider

I know this doesn t make much sense but I would fear McManamon more coming on with 20 to go when game is stretching a bit and backs are beginning to blow a bit.