Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

They're not. One is the only change from the team that started v Tyrone, the other is the only change from the team *announced* to start v Tyrone.

moysider

Maybe there will be changes before throw-in.

Naming Doherty to start shows a conservative approach imo. Andy and Cillian will play inside with Doherty playing a deep water carrying role. Realistically they can only start 2 from Regan, Andy and Cillian at this stage.

Cllr Willie Power

Quote from: moysider on August 19, 2016, 03:34:52 PM

Naming Doherty to start shows a conservative approach imo. Andy and Cillian will play inside with Doherty playing a deep water carrying role. Realistically they can only start 2 from Regan, Andy and Cillian at this stage.

And, at the moment, those two should and will be Andy and Cillian.

Croí na hÉireann

Think if Mayo are to win the final they need to be winning this by 5+ points. They will get no credit for inching past Tipperary, a decent victory should fill their sails with enough wind to seriously attack the final. So Mayo by 6 for me.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

MayoBuck

That's how I see it. Aido will move into full forward at times to give us 3 men in there. Doherty and DO'C will be the wing forwards.

I'd be shocked if Parsons doesn't come in before throw in. Vaughan will either drop out or move to defense in place of somebody else.

PW Nally

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 19, 2016, 05:30:40 PM
Think if Mayo are to win the final they need to be winning this by 5+ points. They will get no credit for inching past Tipperary, a decent victory should fill their sails with enough wind to seriously attack the final. So Mayo by 6 for me.

This thing about teams needing to beat another team by X to win the following game perplexes me entirely. A team like Mayo needs to win this game period. If sport teaches us anything teams need to show form and/or potential. Margins of victory are down the list a bit.

So, Mayo to win by 5.

Cunny Funt

Mayo in the form of 2013 or 2014 would beat Tipperary by 8 to 10 points however Mayo are not in that type of form this year so a 3 to 5 point Mayo margin of victory is more likely.

moysider

Quote from: Cllr Willie Power on August 19, 2016, 04:46:03 PM

And, at the moment, those two should and will be Andy and Cillian.

I think so too.

Aughafad

Lads I have four tickets for Sunday's game lower cusack section 309, unfortunately I can't go due to work. If anyone is interested in them they are face value.

DuffleKing

Are Mayo likely to continue the double sweeper and policy of not kicking the ball or was that a bespoke approach for Tyrone?

From the Bunker

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 19, 2016, 11:57:07 PM

Are Mayo likely to continue the double sweeper and policy of not kicking the ball or was that a bespoke approach for Tyrone?

No

moysider

I would hope we would play a similar shape as Tyrone game but not sure it could be described as double sweeper. Maybe a bit cuter than what people are used to from Mayo but it is more about getting bodies back urgently when the opposition have the ball and having at least one covering player back at all times. The urgent thing is crucial because there wasn't enough urgency there before Tyrone. Against Galway we were pedestrian everywhere but chasing back did not happen at all. Fermanagh, Kildare and Westmeath our energy levels left a bit to be desired as well especially as regards getting back behind the ball.

We kicked a lot of good ball v Tyrone. Kick-outs will go short if Tipp don t press up. If they do we can go long and could do alright. After what happened Galway I cant see Mayo play anything but a tight defensive game with huge intensity and try and not give Tipp any foothold in the game. That's what I'm hoping will happen.

MayoBuck

Was it really a double sweeper? For a lot of the game, Tyrone only left 1 forward up so Mayo just held 2 defenders in their position instead of tracking the marker outfield. Tyrone live off turnovers and counter attacking at speed so being patient on the ball and not leaving the defense exposed was understandable.

Tipperary are a completely different side however so I suspect Mayo will set up differently.

rrhf

Fcuk me can't believe we aren't there. Tyrone should have beat Mayo. Tip will.