NEW LAOIS MANAGER

Started by Unlaoised, August 03, 2016, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

20 years ago today Laois won their first minor All ireland at football, and produced great players. These players were also well coached. Yet we never seem to produce any decent coaches of note, although we are quick to slag off our own.

SCFC

We probably got rid of Tom Cribbin too soon.
Wonder would Jerome Stack be an option? Superb coach who would command respect of all players.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Joeythelips on September 15, 2016, 05:42:36 PM
20 years ago today Laois won their first minor All ireland at football, and produced great players. These players were also well coached. Yet we never seem to produce any decent coaches of note, although we are quick to slag off our own.

Coaching means different things. Our minors of the 90s and 00s were well coached to have very high skill levels. Individually, we had the best crop of players in the country which will get you minor trophies. What we lacked, and still lack, are strong tactical team coaches who can set up a team and train players to play to modern systems effectively.

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on September 18, 2016, 05:36:18 PM
We probably got rid of Tom Cribbin too soon.
Smartest thing posted on this forum since I joined. Blackguarded.

OTF

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on September 19, 2016, 12:02:03 PM
Quote from: Joeythelips on September 15, 2016, 05:42:36 PM

Coaching means different things. Our minors of the 90s and 00s were well coached to have very high skill levels. Individually, we had the best crop of players in the country which will get you minor trophies. What we lacked, and still lack, are strong tactical team coaches who can set up a team and train players to play to modern systems effectively.
What we lack is Managers /coaches who are able to get the players to play at the  required intensity, our teams recently (underage) just saunter around the field half asleep  miles of their men, that's the big difference.

Ballyroan Abbey

Charlie McKeever could be an interesting option, Donegal man who is a principal in clonmel, was over both the clonmel commericals team that won the munster title and was in charge of the tipp minors who kerry bet in last years All ireland.
While he wouldnt have experience with an intercounty adult team he has had very good success with an adult club team and an underage intercounty set-up

GAA-SMART

May aswell offer Davy Fitz the job at this rate

Don Draper

south Laois

It's getting very worrying at this stage. Not  even a murmur of who's in contention. Could it mean the county board are holding out for a top class manager? I doubt it!! I shudder to think we could end up with a Luke Dempsey type  of appointment.

SCFC

Hearing it's Paul Curran's job if he wants it.

redsetanta

I would rather see a former laois player take the job than someone like Paul Curran. Will he turn out to be another bluffer like Bealin?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

south Laois

What former Laois player would you like to see get it redsetanta? I wouldn't be overly upset if Paul Curran got it as there isn't an outstanding candidate beating down the door to get the job.

theoldvet

WOULD MICK DEMPSEY EVER CONSIDER TAKING THE LAOIS JOB ?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: theoldvet on September 23, 2016, 06:47:04 PM
WOULD MICK DEMPSEY EVER CONSIDER TAKING THE LAOIS JOB ?

Not a notion.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Tony

A source of mine close to county board member tells me an appointment will be made before start of October.