Dublin V Donegal 6th Aug 6pm Sky

Started by The Aristocrat, August 01, 2016, 09:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

Quote from: The Trap on Today at 10:19:22 AM

Did anyone else think that Kilkenny could have been blown for over-carrying a number of times and for illegal handpasses?

No

You obviously don't know the rules Heffo!

JoG2

Quote from: The Trap on August 08, 2016, 10:19:22 AM
Did anyone else think that Kilkenny could have been blown for over-carrying a number of times and for illegal handpasses?

yes, and not just Kilkenny.  A lot of players now seem to take about 10 steps whilst holding the ball, palm up, and by the time they get it adjusted to bounce it, they have taken twice the amount of allowed steps

Canalman

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2016, 10:11:38 AM
Quote from: oakleafgael on August 08, 2016, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2016, 09:36:17 AM
I was very nervy before this game, glad we got it over with. I really think all the chopping and changing in defence is effecting us right through out the team - we are not creating or converting goal chances at the same rate as previous years - though Connolly should have bagged a brace.

According to Al Brogan on twitter McCarthy is goosed for the year, no matter him taking part in warm ups. As for the controversies, Dermo didn't deserve his first yellow as yer man was at him from before the whistle. Doesn't excuse the stupidity for making the second challenge, knowing he was on a yellow, so he had to go.

O'Gara's sending off was a complete joke as Mcgee had nothing on his mind but annoyance as soon as he came on the pitch. Honestly, what is a player meant to do? Ten years ago against Laois, Darren Rooney was at the same craic against Alan Brogan - instead of striking, Brogan pointed at the score board - and thus the legend of the sledging Dubs was born. If O'Gara is going to be sent off for a tap, after basically being assaulted as soon as he got on the pitch, then the game is up for attackers.

For me, the dirtiest blow struck all day was Murphy's - not because I think he is a dirty player, but I think Donegal thought they needed to be revved up and extra physical to win. The carelessness of the challenge was incredible - he could have done awful damage. Fortunately for Murphy, the Dubs didn't react in the way the Donegal lads did after Connolly's challenge, otherwise it could have (should have) been straight red.

It was a pity to see Donegal like that - they are not a patch on the 2014 version, which gave the benchmark cerebral performance against us - there was real thought in that game, didn't seem to be much in this one. Talking to a few Donegal lads after and they reckon Murphy has been injured all year and given no real chance to recover. Interesting to compare how Rory O'Carroll can feel he can take a year off, whilst Murphy (same age) has to be retread constantly. Not fair on such a great player, but I suppose given Donegal's panel depth, that is the way it is going to be. If I was the Donegal management team I'd be saying to Murphy see you next May - don't bother about the league, just recharge over the winter.

ET,

Your well off the mark with that one. The number 15 was marking Connolly and giving him plenty of belts etc away from play but it was the number 5 McHugh who was booked at the same time as Connolly. I thought it was a case of mistaken identidy until seeing it again. McHugh went to run past Connolly to support the play and was pulled back and wrestled to the ground by Connolly, it could just as easily have been a black as a yellow. He did the same with Lacey a few minutes before hand. It was obviously something the Dublin forwards had been instructed to do as any time a deep lying Donegal player went to make a run out to support the play he was either blocked off or pulled back.

All the talk about Dublin's advantages etc but having watched them on Saturday they are an exceptionally well coached team.

Fair dues Oakleaf, I'll take your word for it. I'd say no matter what happened on Saturday, the Dubs were told not to let Donegal run from deep at you - the one time they did (albeit after us giving it away) you could see how deadly they can be - it was a terrific goal and a real example on how to punish a mistake. Just a real pity that they couldn't work those same opportunities off their own possession, though to be fair, I though either Philly or Jonny Cooper could have been MOTM - great work inside on Murphy and McBrearty.

Thought it was Byrne myself did the marking on McBrearty most of the time.

Not the best of games for a neutral but with two absolute belters of goals in the second half.

Counted 18 alickadoos/ backroom staff on the pitch before the game with the Donegal team at the warmup. Dublin by contrast had 9 or 10.

Have to give JG some credit on the tactics. Not pretty, but seems to be the template to counter the blanket defence (which in fairness Dublin used at times also during the game).

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on August 08, 2016, 11:01:57 AM
I was very nervy before this game, glad we got it over with. I really think all the chopping and changing in defence is effecting us right through out the team - we are not creating or converting goal chances at the same rate as previous years - though Connolly should have bagged a brace.

According to Al Brogan on twitter McCarthy is goosed for the year, no matter him taking part in warm ups. As for the controversies, Dermo didn't deserve his first yellow as yer man was at him from before the whistle. Doesn't excuse the stupidity for making the second challenge, knowing he was on a yellow, so he had to go.

O'Gara's sending off was a complete joke as Mcgee had nothing on his mind but annoyance as soon as he came on the pitch. Honestly, what is a player meant to do? Ten years ago against Laois, Darren Rooney was at the same craic against Alan Brogan - instead of striking, Brogan pointed at the score board - and thus the legend of the sledging Dubs was born. If O'Gara is going to be sent off for a tap, after basically being assaulted as soon as he got on the pitch, then the game is up for attackers.

For me, the dirtiest blow struck all day was Murphy's - not because I think he is a dirty player, but I think Donegal thought they needed to be revved up and extra physical to win. The carelessness of the challenge was incredible - he could have done awful damage. Fortunately for Murphy, the Dubs didn't react in the way the Donegal lads did after Connolly's challenge, otherwise it could have (should have) been straight red.

It was a pity to see Donegal like that - they are not a patch on the 2014 version, which gave the benchmark cerebral performance against us - there was real thought in that game, didn't seem to be much in this one. Talking to a few Donegal lads after and they reckon Murphy has been injured all year and given no real chance to recover. Interesting to compare how Rory O'Carroll can feel he can take a year off, whilst Murphy (same age) has to be retread constantly. Not fair on such a great player, but I suppose given Donegal's panel depth, that is the way it is going to be. If I was the Donegal management team I'd be saying to Murphy see you next May - don't bother about the league, just recharge over the winter.

ET,

Your well off the mark with that one. The number 15 was marking Connolly and giving him plenty of belts etc away from play but it was the number 5 McHugh who was booked at the same time as Connolly. I thought it was a case of mistaken identidy until seeing it again. McHugh went to run past Connolly to support the play and was pulled back and wrestled to the ground by Connolly, it could just as easily have been a black as a yellow. He did the same with Lacey a few minutes before hand. It was obviously something the Dublin forwards had been instructed to do as any time a deep lying Donegal player went to make a run out to support the play he was either blocked off or pulled back.

All the talk about Dublin's advantages etc but having watched them on Saturday they are an exceptionally well coached team.

Fair dues Oakleaf, I'll take your word for it. I'd say no matter what happened on Saturday, the Dubs were told not to let Donegal run from deep at you - the one time they did (albeit after us giving it away) you could see how deadly they can be - it was a terrific goal and a real example on how to punish a mistake. Just a real pity that they couldn't work those same opportunities off their own possession, though to be fair, I though either Philly or Jonny Cooper could have been MOTM - great work inside on Murphy and McBrearty.

Not the best of games for a neutral but with two absolute belters of goals in the second half.

Counted 18 alickadoos/ backroom staff on the pitch before the game with the Donegal team at the warmup. Dublin by contrast had 9 or 10.

Have to give JG some credit on the tactics. Not pretty, but seems to be the template to counter the blanket defence (which in fairness Dublin used at times also during the game).

FFS Dublin U-21 back-room team probably needs its own bus.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:08:39 AM
Quote from: Canalman on August 08, 2016, 11:01:57 AM

ET,

FFS Dublin U-21 back-room team probably needs its own bus.  ;D

You're deflecting now Muppet, we discussed the size of the record breaking Mayo backroom team last year - it's bigger than most county panels

muppet

MWWSI 2017

The Aristocrat

Who is the Donegal selector constantly running on to the pitch, seen him say a few words to the both sets of players and the ref? was standing literally next to the ref when he sent off Connolly.

oakleafgael

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 08, 2016, 11:17:34 AM
Who is the Donegal selector constantly running on to the pitch, seen him say a few words to the both sets of players and the ref? was standing literally next to the ref when he sent off Connolly.

Maxi Curran, he covers some distance during a game! He shouldnt be on the pitch anywhere near as much as he is and its a recipe for a row some day.

heffo

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:15:43 AM
Look who's deflecting now!  ;D

Get up the yard, Sam is in your sights and you're giddy as hell!

Fuzzman

Why was Kilkenny pointing all day when he was about to hit a pass? He often looked up towards a wing and pointed there before hitting a pass. Anyone else notice this?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 08, 2016, 11:41:59 AM

Maxi Curran, he covers some distance during a game! He shouldnt be on the pitch anywhere near as much as he is and its a recipe for a row some day.

Have you seen his Wikipedia entry?... "He is generally considered to be not right in the head."

;D  ;D  :D  :D

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

JoG2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 08, 2016, 12:01:14 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on August 08, 2016, 11:41:59 AM

Have you seen his Wikipedia entry?... "He is generally considered to be not right in the head."

;D  ;D  :D  :D

as the hill men say, he's a binlid, but he's our binlid

muppet

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 08, 2016, 12:01:00 PM
Why was Kilkenny pointing all day when he was about to hit a pass? He often looked up towards a wing and pointed there before hitting a pass. Anyone else notice this?

Sickening arrogance.  :D

MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Quote from: sambostar on August 08, 2016, 10:24:03 AM
Quote from: The Trap on August 08, 2016, 10:19:22 AM
Yes, 1 stage in the 2nd half he took about 10 steps with ball in hand - no-one was near him so think that's why he got away with it but I was astounded. He also has this almost rugby-like throw that he does, borderline legal

He's definitely got a new style of handpassing that looks like a rugby throw. Hard to know whether it's legal / illegal without watching it on TV though.

AZOffaly

If the holding hand moves, it's illegal. It certainly looked like it a couple of times on Saturday. He got on an awful lot of ball, but did he actually contribute much to scoring moves?