Dublin V Donegal 6th Aug 6pm Sky

Started by The Aristocrat, August 01, 2016, 09:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2016, 10:53:09 AM
You'd swear the game in 2014 was a tactical masterclass akin to Muhammad Ali's 'rope a dope' strategy.
Donegal were a whisker away from getting the mother and father of all hidings.
Yes, Dublin did panic in the 2nd half but by rights the game should have been over by then.
If McGuinness had Dublin figured out, he did a good job of hiding it for the first 30 minutes of the game.
I remember watching it with a group at home and the consensus was that Donegal would do well to avoid complete humiliation, such was Dublin's dominance in the 1st half.
I'd readily admit that the game is 70+ minutes, and Donegal fully deserved the win in the end, I just wonder how much credit McGuinness should get for that.
Was Tom Cribbin hailed as a tactical genius when Westmeath overturned a massive deficit in the 2nd half to beat us last year?
Did he 'figure us out'?
Or did we simply lose a game we should have won comfortably.

Connolly missed two sitters in that game that would have put Dublin 7/8 points in front. Either of them goes in and Dubs win comfortably

J70

You'd swear the game in 2014 was a tactical masterclass akin to Muhammad Ali's 'rope a dope' strategy.
Yes, Dublin did panic in the 2nd half but by rights the game should have been over by then.
If McGuinness had Dublin figured out, he did a good job of hiding it for the first 30 minutes of the game.
I remember watching it with a group at home and the consensus was that Donegal would do well to avoid complete humiliation, such was Dublin's dominance in the 1st half.
I'd readily admit that the game is 70+ minutes, and Donegal fully deserved the win in the end, I just wonder how much credit McGuinness should get for that.
Was Tom Cribbin hailed as a tactical genius when Westmeath overturned a massive deficit in the 2nd half to beat us last year?
Did he 'figure us out'?

Now you're going way too far the other way. McGuinness was happy to let Dublin shoot from out the field and had the team defending the so-called U. They hit a rake of wonder points early on, but NO team can keep that up all day. And McGuinness had the Donegal lads endlessly repeat a drill in training where they'd be running into space in the Dublin half once they got past Dublin's high press. Apparently he identified that most teams would panic and hit aimless early ball into their full forwards, whereas McGuinness made the team repeat carrying the ball into space until either a forward got free for the pass or they could take their score. He predicted that there would be goals in it for Donegal. As it turned out, Donegal repeatedly ran up the field in acres of space and, more often than not, took the right option and a score. According to Rory Kavanagh, McGuinness predicted and wrote on a board that Donegal would score 3-16 or 17 (they hit 3-14). Throw in the whole psychological/ confidence thing as well.
And on the Dublin dominance, they never got more than five points ahead, dominant as they were. The tide started to change after the 20th minute or so, especially after Christy Toye was sent on. Yes, they should have got a goal or two, but both attempts were under pressure, and McGee and Durkan made good saves.

My point is that a lot of this could have been rendered irrelevant, but Dublin were so cocksure that they didn't consider that they could be exposed. McGuinness correctly identified their weaknesses, but Dublin either didn't or didn't consider them a concern.

J70

Quote from: dublin7 on August 02, 2016, 11:18:45 AM
Did he 'figure us out'?

Connolly missed two sitters in that game that would have put Dublin 7/8 points in front. Either of them goes in and Dubs win comfortably

And in 2011, if Colm McFadden's shot early in the second goes under the bar and not over and Donegal go 1-5 to 0-3 in front, it's game over and no All Ireland for Gilroy.

Every game has moments like that.

easytiger95

I don't think Gallager needs to be a genius to figure this out. Without O'Carroll, McCaffrey and McCarthy this is a markedly weaker defence. Rory has been the best fullback in the country since 2011. Murphy could cause havoc in there, and with regard to robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of midfield parity, whilst Brian Fenton is in great form, neither Bastick or MDMA are pulling up trees. Factor in the loss of McCarthy (who is an absolutely class act) and his ability to hoover up loose ball and accelerate through the blanket on the right and the fact that McCaffrey did almost exactly the same, we are now wide open to the type of lateral passing and aimlessness that typify our worst displays.

It 's a pity O'Gara isn't there to offer the option of quicker ball. I'm not saying we're going to lose this, but if we have to defeat Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone on the way to this title, that is as hard a run in the All Ireland series as we've had this decade.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 02, 2016, 12:42:41 PM
I don't think Gallager needs to be a genius to figure this out. Without O'Carroll, McCaffrey and McCarthy this is a markedly weaker defence. Rory has been the best fullback in the country since 2011. Murphy could cause havoc in there, and with regard to robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of midfield parity, whilst Brian Fenton is in great form, neither Bastick or MDMA are pulling up trees. Factor in the loss of McCarthy (who is an absolutely class act) and his ability to hoover up loose ball and accelerate through the blanket on the right and the fact that McCaffrey did almost exactly the same, we are now wide open to the type of lateral passing and aimlessness that typify our worst displays.

It 's a pity O'Gara isn't there to offer the option of quicker ball. I'm not saying we're going to lose this, but if we have to defeat Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone on the way to this title, that is as hard a run in the All Ireland series as we've had this decade.

I agree with that, Donegal favourites in my eyes, big factor as well you will have three sets of supporters cheering on Donegal too so, it will be tough, if Dublin pull it off it will be a great achievement. 

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Canalman

2014 gone into sporting mythology as a "masterclass" of management.

Was at the game and beneath all the faff written and self written  about the game, imo the difference between two evenly matched teams was the fact Donegal took their goal chances and Dublin didn't. Oh did I mention that Donegal played brilliantly and had one of those days when everything they touched turned to gold.

Read somewhere that they actually put more points on the scoreboard than the amount of  actual chances they created.

Donegal's failure to follow up on the performance in the AIF cost them dearly.

Personallly glad it is Donegal in the quarters for us as there will be zero overconfidence I would think in the camp after that  2014 game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 02, 2016, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 02, 2016, 12:42:41 PM

I agree with that, Donegal favourites in my eyes, big factor as well you will have three sets of supporters cheering on Donegal too so, it will be tough, if Dublin pull it off it will be a great achievement.

Most supporters will be on their way home! Especially the losing fans! Just like most of the Dublin supporters will be in the pubs for the Mayo/Tyrone match! The Stadium will be half empty for the main part of both games.

Zulu

No it won't. Croke Park will be at least 3/4 full for the full day. On the game itself, you'd have to fancy Dublin but the loss of the 3 defenders is a big blow as McCarthy and McCaffrey add the pace you need to breakdown Donegal's defensive system and O'Carroll provides a significant bulwark against the long ball. Without all 3 Dublin are bound to be weakened though I doubt it will be enough to lose this weekend. It's just too hard to see how Donegal can both keep the Dublin score down and get enough themselves to win.

Hound

Quote from: Zulu on August 02, 2016, 01:48:42 PM
No it won't. Croke Park will be at least 3/4 full for the full day. On the game itself, you'd have to fancy Dublin but the loss of the 3 defenders is a big blow as McCarthy and McCaffrey add the pace you need to breakdown Donegal's defensive system and O'Carroll provides a significant bulwark against the long ball. Without all 3 Dublin are bound to be weakened though I doubt it will be enough to lose this weekend. It's just too hard to see how Donegal can both keep the Dublin score down and get enough themselves to win.
Goals are what could do it.
Dubs have given up goals chances in every game.

Although Dubs likely to create goal chances too.

The Hill is Blue

If Dublin were going into next Saturday's game with last year's team I'd be confident that they would beat Donegal. But with three All Stars off the team the advantage has definitely swung to Donegal. The big question is will Donegal be able to compete with Kerry in the semi-final?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

"For all the talk of Donegal ageing, the team continues to get younger"

Jim McGuinness points out that Donegal are getting younger, not older.

Highlighting one of the great achievements of his successor at the Tir Chonail helm, McGuinness expresses his admiration for the subtle manner in which Rory Gallagher has replenished what many wrongly consider to be an ageing side:

"For all the talk of Donegal ageing, the team continues to get younger, which is interesting in itself," the 2012 All-Ireland winning manager writes in The Irish Times. "Since he has become manager, Gallagher has introduced new players who have subtly but significantly altered the profile of the team.

"Eoin McHugh and Marty O'Reilly can inject serious pace while Odhrán MacNiallais and Ryan McHugh have become very important players.

"So what he has managed to do is to quietly assemble a new team even while people are banging on about an old Donegal team."
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=259010

Armamike

Read somewhere that Donegal's average age was younger than Tyrone's in the Ulster final.
That's just, like your opinion man.

yellowcard

I think McGuinness got lucky in 2014, at one stage a 15/16 point beating looked to be on the cards, the gulf in class was that big. However Dublin played pure football that year and naively pushed all their players up the field leaving massive gaps in behind that Donegal exploited ruthlessly in behind. Dublin haven't made the same mistake since with the stationing of O'Sullivan as sweeper and a more structured gameplan. I do believe that Dublin are vulnerable in defence again though, however I don't think Donegal have enough in them to beat Dublin. I'd expect the Dubs to win comfortably on Saturday, however they could be in for the mother of all battles against Kerry in the semi final.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2016, 04:14:52 PM
"For all the talk of Donegal ageing, the team continues to get younger"

Jim McGuinness points out that Donegal are getting younger, not older.

Highlighting one of the great achievements of his successor at the Tir Chonail helm, McGuinness expresses his admiration for the subtle manner in which Rory Gallagher has replenished what many wrongly consider to be an ageing side:

"For all the talk of Donegal ageing, the team continues to get younger, which is interesting in itself," the 2012 All-Ireland winning manager writes in The Irish Times. "Since he has become manager, Gallagher has introduced new players who have subtly but significantly altered the profile of the team.

"Eoin McHugh and Marty O'Reilly can inject serious pace while Odhrán MacNiallais and Ryan McHugh have become very important players.

"So what he has managed to do is to quietly assemble a new team even while people are banging on about an old Donegal team."
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=259010

More mischief by McGuinness.

The bulk of that team and the players being utilised by Gallagher are four years older than when Donegal won the AI.

They were players who were in their peak years (25-28) at that time.