Canavan rates the remaining teams

Started by Fuzzman, July 29, 2016, 02:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2016, 01:45:39 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2016, 01:07:51 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2016, 12:57:19 AM
I'd love to know what exactly Tyrone have done to prove they are a better team than Mayo or Kerry . . . Nothing??? Oh yeah alright then!!!

You don't need to prove these things. You might never meet them. It's perception. There's nothing to prove that Derry are better than Greenlough Reserves.

Proof is maybe too strong a word but surely there is some basis for saying some team is better than another or some reasoning... Kerry were in an AIF last year, are a solid division 1 team yet Canavan hails Tyrone as better than them... Why??

Look I'm not saying Tyrone aren't a good team but why are they being considered as the next best team to Dublin? Personally I think they are 3rd but are some ways behind Dublin and Kerry!

Are they 4th now or should it be Tipperary??

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on August 30, 2016, 04:46:04 PM
I'd love to know what exactly Tyrone have done to prove they are a better team than Mayo or Kerry . . . Nothing??? Oh yeah alright then!!!

You don't need to prove these things. You might never meet them. It's perception. There's nothing to prove that Derry are better than Greenlough Reserves.

Proof is maybe too strong a word but surely there is some basis for saying some team is better than another or some reasoning... Kerry were in an AIF last year, are a solid division 1 team yet Canavan hails Tyrone as better than them... Why??

Look I'm not saying Tyrone aren't a good team but why are they being considered as the next best team to Dublin? Personally I think they are 3rd but are some ways behind Dublin and Kerry!

Are Tipperary the 4th best team in Ireland?  No.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 31, 2016, 08:15:41 AM

Why?? If Canavan can say that Tyrone are the second best team in Ireland with no basis in fact surely Tipperary have a stronger claim seeing as they actually were one of the last 4 teams in the competition!!

Tyrone are probably 5th I'd say just ahead of Galway!

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2016, 09:56:58 AM

Why?? If Canavan can say that Tyrone are the second best team in Ireland with no basis in fact surely Tipperary have a stronger claim seeing as they actually were one of the last 4 teams in the competition!!

Is this what's its come to for Derry folk? Arguing that Tyrone are 5th best rather than 4th? I'll humour your argument...Considering the fact that Tyrone hammered Tipp last year and form lines drawn between the defeats of Derry by the two counties....who would you have backed if Tipp met Tyrone this year?
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2016, 09:56:58 AM

The only number that matters is 1.  Out of curiosity though, who are your top 4?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

I think it's very different on how people rate teams from who they think is the best to who do they think will get to the final and win or lose it.
Canavan's opinions were very much based on the draw where he chose Tyrone to beat Mayo and so thought they would make it to the final and so would be ranked 2nd. He knew fine well that should Mayo win that game then they would be in that position.

I think most people would say that it's Dublin at No 1, Kerry second, Mayo third(based on how they played this year) with maybe Tyrone fourth as Tipperary did well to get to the semis but most would not rate them higher than Tyrone, especially after Tyrone beat them well in Thurles last year.

Should Mayo beat Dublin in the final then they become the No1 team in the country of course.
I think as we saw on Sunday last that it's the team with the best forwards who an kick scores under pressure than can push you over the line. Even Gooch and Brogan were struggling on Sunday but McManoman and Connolly stood up.

AZOffaly

Lads, cop on. Tipperary are not the fourth best team in Ireland. They got to the last 4 in Ireland, which is brilliant, but at best they are in the 9-13 range. And if we go by league position, they are actually about 20th. Now I happen to believe the league position is false, but it's up to Tipperary to continue to develop, and prove me right. A period of growth in Division 2 would be great, and that would allow them to stabilise in the 8-12 bracket which gives you a good chance of a run to quarter finals/finals every year.

I was at a football development squad meeting on Monday night, and Peter Creedon made the same point. However he did point out that in the last couple of years Tipp have made a semi final of the All Ireland Senior, made an All Ireland U21 Final, and an All Ireland Minor final. It's a good platform, but it has to be built on, and it's crazy to suggest Tipp are better than Tyrone, or Monaghan, or Donegal or any of the other Division 1 teams, as of yet.

screenexile

I love a good fishing expedition lads calm down!!

To be honest at the start of the year I would have rated Tyrone the 4th best team in the Championship and I still do. There was lot's of talk about how well Tyrone did last year and they did but the demise of Mayo and Kerry was greatly exaggerated and I didn't think Tyrone were quite at that level yet which is why I couldn't believe Canavan having them listed as the 2nd best team in the country.

Dubs on their own, then Mayo and Kerry which I don't think you could separate, then Tyrone then I think there's a bit of a gap between Tyrone and Tipp/Galway/Donegal/Monaghan, and then a level behind that you have Derry/Meath/Cavan/Fermanagh.

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2016, 11:15:17 AM

To be honest at the start of the year I would have rated Tyrone the 4th best team in the Championship and I still do. There was lot's of talk about how well Tyrone did last year and they did but the demise of Mayo and Kerry was greatly exaggerated and I didn't think Tyrone were quite at that level yet which is why I couldn't believe Canavan having them listed as the 2nd best team in the country.

Dubs on their own, then Mayo and Kerry which I don't think you could separate, then Tyrone then I think there's a bit of a gap between Tyrone and Tipp/Galway/Donegal/Monaghan, and then a level behind that you have Derry/Meath/Cavan/Fermanagh.

I think Canavan was trying to rate the remaining teams in the competition. If Mayo beat Dublin by 2 or 3 points, then he might well have been correct about Tyrone. Just not about MAyo :)

tippabu

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2016, 11:15:17 AM

I go similar to that

Dubs, then you have kerry and possibly mayo, after that tyrone and donegal, then there 10 or so teams who id lump in together as teams who could all beat each other on their day. Monaghan probably heading that list as they probably only got caught against longford