USPGA 2016

Started by Boycey, July 27, 2016, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: An Watcher on July 30, 2016, 07:43:54 AM
Don't worry lads there's a 3 time major winner flying the flag for Ireland.

As for McIlroy, I'm getting a bit fed up with his moping around the course.  I understand that he's disappointed but he has no divine right to win these competitions. Runs around like a spoilt child sometimes.

I presume he'll be moving from his florida home as zika has now hit the state.

Clov

Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2016, 04:50:06 PM
Quote from: Declan on July 28, 2016, 04:26:56 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Rory never won another one

Madness!!! No offence but do you even watch much golf?

Do you know how difficult it is to win one major let alone the 4 he's already won? He'll win another major at least one and potentially another 4 he's only 27 and Stenson just won his first @ 40!!

I can't believe all these people writing off McIlroy and Spieth at such a young age!!

I think the fact that it has taken a player of Stenson's quality to reach 40 before winning a major is evidence that you just can't take it for granted, even for the likes of McIlroy. While I reckon he will win at least 1 or 2 more majors I think it is also likely that he will never have another period like he did from 2011-14. At 27 Seve had won 5 majors but only won 2 more after that. I think Palmer won most of his majors early in his career.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Boycey

Quote from: Clov on July 30, 2016, 10:52:40 AM

Do you know how difficult it is to win one major let alone the 4 he's already won? He'll win another major at least one and potentially another 4 he's only 27 and Stenson just won his first @ 40!!

I can't believe all these people writing off McIlroy and Spieth at such a young age!!

I think the fact that it has taken a player of Stenson's quality to reach 40 before winning a major is evidence that you just can't take it for granted, even for the likes of McIlroy. While I reckon he will win at least 1 or 2 more majors I think it is also likely that he will never have another period like he did from 2011-14. At 27 Seve had won 5 majors but only won 2 more after that. I think Palmer won most of his majors early in his career.

McIlroy has always been a streaky player, in the period 2011-2014 you mention he had possibly the worst year of his professional career in 2013....

Seve only won 5 majors..

Minder

Tiger had won 8 by the time he was 27, mind you that isn't a fair comparison to most players
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Clov

Quote from: Boycey on July 30, 2016, 11:17:51 AM

McIlroy has always been a streaky player, in the period 2011-2014 you mention he had possibly the worst year of his professional career in 2013....

Seve only won 5 majors..

My bad. I see, like McIlroy, he actually had won 4 by the time he was 27 and then only 1 more thereafter.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Boycey

Quote from: Clov on July 30, 2016, 11:25:21 AM

Seve only won 5 majors..

My bad. I see, like McIlroy, he actually had won 4 by the time he was 27 and then only 1 more thereafter.

Sure its pure Mystic Meg stuff, McIlroy may never win another major but comparing him to Seve because it suits your argument is as relevant as me saying he'll win them regularly throughout his career until his mid 40s like Jack Nicklaus did. Its pure conjuncture.

The Trap

At least he will make the frampton fight.....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Trap on July 30, 2016, 12:21:48 PM

Was thinking that... Ringside with Our Jimmy!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2016, 01:34:35 PM

Hope Jimmy goes easy on the strong stuff tonite...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on July 30, 2016, 01:37:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2016, 01:34:35 PM

Hope Jimmy goes easy on the strong stuff tonite...

He'll be on the Buckfast, snattered
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Probably looking down int he dumps as zika has hit Florida? does that mean he has to move now? Oh well he can watch the sports that matter in a few weeks time.

Clov

Quote from: Boycey on July 30, 2016, 11:49:03 AM
Quote from: Clov on July 30, 2016, 11:25:21 AM

Seve only won 5 majors..

Sure its pure Mystic Meg stuff, McIlroy may never win another major but comparing him to Seve because it suits your argument is as relevant as me saying he'll win them regularly throughout his career until his mid 40s like Jack Nicklaus did. Its pure conjuncture.

The comparison with Seve is surely more apt given that Nicklaus had won many more majors at the same age (7 i think).
It is of course too early to tell but he will certainly not get close to Nicklaus unless he improves his putting.

Boycey

You're trying to prove the unprovable, for every stat produced there'll be another one to contradict it...

Lies, damn lies and statistics as someone once said.

Clov

Quote from: Boycey on July 30, 2016, 02:15:18 PM
You're trying to prove the unprovable, for every stat produced there'll be another one to contradict it...

Lies, damn lies and statistics as someone once said.

The original question posed was whether it would be a surprise if he never won another major. Personally i would be a surprised if that turned out to be the case though i wouldn't count against him only winning 1 or 2 more. This opinion (not trying to prove anything) is based on his career trajectory so far and a (bog standard) analysis of his game i.e. his putting is weak.
Personally I hope he does go on a win a hatful more majors.

Boycey

Well done Padraig, a 65 to take him to -4, won't trouble the leaders but potential for a top ten. Play suspended at the minute for bad weather..