Started by Owenmoresider, July 25, 2016, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Lone Shark on July 28, 2016, 02:16:30 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 26, 2016, 10:08:46 AM
Complete and utter roll over from HQ. All about the $ in the GPA. To run their programmes they should need a fixed sum, not a percentage of the GAA's net central commercial revenue.

This bit troubles me greatly. I've never been a fan of the GPA, either the organisation as it is currently constituted, or the very concept of it. However if it does exist, surely then it should be as advocates and possibly administrators of schemes directed at county players. It cannot be allowed to decide what projects are and aren't worthwhile in isolation, because there are a myriad of things they could do that would run contrary to the aims and rules of the GAA as a whole.

If the GPA goes to the GAA and says we want to do X - let's take increasing the mileage payment as an example. Then Central Council should sit down, discuss it, make a decision, and say yay or nay. If the GPA is to have a seat on Central Council, I could even get over that. If Central Council decides yay, then allocate the funds, and by all means let the GPA then administer.

However that's completely different to giving them a blank cheque, with no commitment in return on how the money will be used.
If the GAA drives a good deal with the various broadcasters and this 15% returns €4m instead of the current projection of €3m (for argument's sake) then what's to stop Dessie and the top brass from congratulating themselves on a job well done and awarding themselves half the extra million as a bonus for being great negotiators??

This stinks to high heaven, and is completely anathema to how the GPA should be funded. It'll be the centrepiece of my Offaly Independent Column this week, and I'll be writing to my club and my county board to express my concern, to make sure delegates are aware of it. I'd hope many of ye will do the same.

I am less hostile to the GPA than the average board member appears to be, but I couldn't argue against any of that.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

Meanwhile county players are f**king off to America for more "nutritional payments" leaving their clubs in the shit and your average club player is wondering what is the point of committing to training all year, indeed many are voting with their feet as the clubs die.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2016, 10:50:37 AM
Meanwhile county players are f**king off to America for more "nutritional payments" leaving their clubs in the shit and your average club player is wondering what is the point of committing to training all year, indeed many are voting with their feet as the clubs die.
Are clubs merging in Cavan like in Longford?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2016, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2016, 10:50:37 AM
Are clubs merging in Cavan like in Longford?

Not yet. I work with a lot of guys from a lot of different counties, the club scene is in total crisis in the majority of places. The money is being spent in the wrong places.

Rossfan

Dessie to step down at end of year. 8)

How many abusive posts will follow :P

Lone Shark

Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2016, 11:08:39 AM
Dessie to step down at end of year. 8)

How many abusive posts will follow :P

I don't know about that, but I would be very curious as to what size of a pension pot will follow him. That's not something I expect we'll ever learn about though.

Rossfan

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Read an article recently that the GPA had their annual dinner last month in the plaza hotel in New York.
By all accounts it was very successful with 400 attending.
Curious where do all the donations go and who controls it.
Does it benefit the average county footballer and if so how.