PPV GAA

Started by thejuice, May 03, 2007, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quoteand hopefully the online broadcasts will be extended to out side Ireland.

No chance of that happening.

Setanta have us by the balls

dubinhell

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 03, 2007, 02:12:01 PM

No chance of that happening.

Setanta have us by the balls

Having lived in the US and UK, Setanta treat GAA fans like shite .... In US they charge $20 just to walk into a bar to watch a game.  In the UK they launch a Freeview service (for which u pay) and include all their soccer, rugby etc but not GAA. They hold the rights for GAA abroad so online broadcasts on RTE + TnaG are blocked. Even when the UK version of RTE is launched, GAA will be blocked on this. Setanta are certainly not interested in spreading GAA only money. RTE in theory however .....  :-\

Gabriel_Hurl

$20 a game in Canada too. Or you can subscribe to their Broadband service for US$150 a year and watch it on your computer

DJGaliv

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 03, 2007, 01:36:38 PM
Most people have email now at home and at work so I say Lettuce show

What's a Lettuce show?

Lads, I don't think that this pay per view is the same as the Sky pay per view. I believe Brennan means that he wants to stop RTE's monopoly with regard to GAA coverage. It's quite hard to argue with him there. I think most houses nowadays have more than three channels. If we had to pay £20 a month to subscribe, and then another £10 a match on top, this would be deleterious for the GAA. Apparently Sky got ridiculously low viewing figures for their ppv games.

dubinhell

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 03, 2007, 02:48:24 PM
$20 a game in Canada too. Or you can subscribe to their Broadband service for US$150 a year and watch it on your computer

The broadband service was good, i'll give them that.......but a trip to the nearest big screen was in order for Dubs games  ;D

blast05

QuoteGAA is all about money, they don't care about anything else.

That bastard GAA family have done it again. More money from all this PPV to buy another golf course out in the Caribbean and 3 more Ferraris - 1 for the aul fella and 1 each for the 2 sons. Rumour has it that if they manage to get rugby and soccer games permanently into Croke Park they are going to have a 300' tailor made yacht built for them and if they eventually get county grounds opened up then rumour has it they are thinking about buying a Premiership club

On a seperate note, techie question for anyone - is it possible to set up an anonymous proxy server based in Ireland that you could use for watching GAA games on the web frpm outside Ireland (haven't yet found an American based proxy server for watching episodes of Lost on ABC.com ??)  .........  or would it be possible to make a client VNC or ICA connection to a PC based in Ireland that is running a VNC or ICA server and is streaming a live GAA match ? Would such protocols or others be good enough to display streaming video

dublinfella

interesting one.

we want the GAA to have the best stadia. youngsters to have the best coaches etc.

yet when the GAA raise revenue they are slaughtered for selling out.

can i ask those who want the GAA to essentially leave money at the table over TV rights where the GAA should make it up?

the real story today was Brennan having a go at RTE at the launch. caused quite the incident.

Lecale2

Broadcasting costs money and commercial companies are obliged to make a profit. That's the way of the world. If you want to watch GAA on TV outside Ireland expect to pay for it. If you don't want to watch don't pay.