The what will we do with Northern Ireland thread

Started by seafoid, July 22, 2016, 03:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I read last week that unemployment in the 6 Cos. was 37,600.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2016, 05:21:46 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2016, 05:19:26 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2016, 04:50:51 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2016, 04:33:39 PM
London don't give two f**ks about the North.

This crap about the North voted to stay so it should be taken into consideration. It voted as part of the UK. The UK as a whole said leave, so it's leaving. If say, Newry voted Stay 100%, should we just make keep Newry in EU but the rest leaves? Nonsense.

Yeah, that would be true, except Newry doesn't have it's own devolved parliament and is not designated as a distinct region in it's own right.  More to the pity.

E minus for analogies.

The North has Stormont. It's about as useful as Newry's non-existing devolved parliament.

Irrelevant

Yes, Stormont is irrelevant.

bennydorano

Quote from: J70 on July 22, 2016, 05:59:36 PM
I can see back in the day when the North had a huge security apparatus, but what is all the government money being pumped into these days?

Is unemployment that high and poverty that rife?

Is it all about the farmers?
I'd  be interested to know myself. Presumably the huge subvention is calculated on a GDP type scenario & the lack of a thriving private sector / oversized Public Sector explains the numbers.

Estimator

Just look at where May has been since taking over as PM. Scotland, then Wales, then Berlin, then Paris. She might get to NI next week at some stage, if something else more important doesn't crop up in the meantime. Westminster cares nothing for NI.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on July 22, 2016, 05:59:36 PM
I can see back in the day when the North had a huge security apparatus, but what is all the government money being pumped into these days?

Is unemployment that high and poverty that rife?

Is it all about the farmers?
the public sector is bigger than Tyrone''s sense of victimhood

Minder

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2016, 06:13:51 PM
I read last week that unemployment in the 6 Cos. was 37,600.

Lowest level since 2008
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Unemployment is the highest of any area in the uk. I wouldn't say it's that poverty stricken but it's definitely a road it could down without funding especially as the eu really helps out.

armaghniac

I'd be interested in seeing a through analysis of the 6 county economy. It is always said that the public sector is oversized, but where exactly are they? How is unemployment decent if the private sector is so small. A lot of the debate is as fact free as the Brexit campaign.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

I always thought the civil service was bloated here. Someone, more knowledgable than me, put stats up to suggest otherwise. I think it was fionta... and he had stats. It would be interesting to see them.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 22, 2016, 08:45:37 PM
I always thought the civil service was bloated here. Someone, more knowledgable than me, put stats up to suggest otherwise. I think it was fionta... and he had stats. It would be interesting to see them.

It has reduced by 11% in the last year due to the voluntary exit scheme, think it's 22,000 now.

seafoid

NI back in the day had heavy industry and deep pools of smugness. The heavy industry was killed by Asian competition. The war destroyed investment. Belfast is a sad shadow of Dublin now. Dublin was dirt poor when Belfast was booming . Life is contingent.

The NI economy now is sad . The people who need a strong economy most are uneducated loyalists.  They are also the people most likely to scare investment away. Middle class prods do not give a shit about anyone below them on the food chain.

John Hewitt wrote a poem about it called Coasters.

Minder

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2016, 09:43:50 PM
NI back in the day had heavy industry and deep pools of smugness. The heavy industry was killed by Asian competition. The war destroyed investment. Belfast is a sad shadow of Dublin now. Dublin was dirt poor when Belfast was booming . Life is contingent.

The NI economy now is sad . The people who need a strong economy most are uneducated loyalists.  They are also the people most likely to scare investment away. Middle class prods do not give a shit about anyone below them on the food chain.

John Hewitt wrote a poem about it called Coasters.

What about "uneducated" Catholics ?

Mickey Linden

I think brexit is a disaster for the 6 counties long term. However, in the short term is anyone out of work? I might be naive? My mate sent a message to the gaa club whatsap group today looking a labourer and got no reply. I've def seen worse
Times than this. Anyone else agree? Anyone want to labour?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 22, 2016, 08:17:48 PM
Unemployment is the highest of any area in the uk. I wouldn't say it's that poverty stricken but it's definitely a road it could down without funding especially as the eu really helps out.
You want stats...

http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/13821/the-civil-service-in-the-devolved-nations/

Franko

Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2016, 06:16:18 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2016, 05:21:46 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2016, 05:19:26 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2016, 04:50:51 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 22, 2016, 04:33:39 PM
London don't give two f**ks about the North.

This crap about the North voted to stay so it should be taken into consideration. It voted as part of the UK. The UK as a whole said leave, so it's leaving. If say, Newry voted Stay 100%, should we just make keep Newry in EU but the rest leaves? Nonsense.

Yeah, that would be true, except Newry doesn't have it's own devolved parliament and is not designated as a distinct region in it's own right.  More to the pity.

E minus for analogies.

The North has Stormont. It's about as useful as Newry's non-existing devolved parliament.

Irrelevant

Yes, Stormont is irrelevant.

Ironically, this would be one of the few instances where it's not.