2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gammysolo

Firstly, congratulations to Lee and Diarmuid on their awards, hugely deserved and the outrage of some Dublin supporters hints at a sense of entitlement that would shame Pee Flynn.
Secondly, there is an interesting article in The Times this morning regarding Irish/American voting in Ohio. They interview a lady called Colleen Corrigan Day, a former director of the Democratic Party for Cuyahoga County in Ohio, which includes the city of Cleveland. Her people originally come from Achill and she is also secretary of the Cleveland Mayo Society. In that one county in Ohio, 400,000 people identify themselves as Irish, of which 250,000 claim roots in Mayo. That's a quarter of a million people in one county, in one state, who claim Mayo roots. People often forget that America is more than New York, Boston and Chicago.
How many fundraisers have been held in Cleveland? How many county board officials have contacted Mrs Corrigan over the years or even know she exists? If only 1% of those people in Cleveland who claim Mayo roots gave $100 each, that's $250,000 you'd have raised. Can people not see the resources that are waiting to be tapped by a competent and well supported commercial director. How many more Mrs Corrigans exist throughout America and elsewhere just waiting for that phone call asking them to help?

gammysolo

Quote from: Syferus on November 05, 2016, 03:25:36 PM
Incredible that the voting panel got a PotY correct for once. Keegan richly deserved the award. Way better than Jack Mc last year or even Lacy back in 2012. Can't remember a defender who struck the balance between actually defending and attacking as well as Keegan did this year.

Tomas was a hoor for running up the field and being gassed when he got back to do his primary job in his later years, and he's far from the only 'big name' defender who had trouble doing the basics right. Keegan stopped his men and went up the field and scored himself. You can't really ask any more from a player.

The fact any supporter could have watched this year's championship and think Fenton or Kilkenny deserved this more is frightening in the extreme. Partisanship is one thing but it was blindingly obvious Keegan was the best player on the field in the AI finals.

Brilliant to see that Mayo men scooped both young player of the year and young player of the year. Nothing short of deserved on both counts.
We are living in an era of brilliant, and outstanding Mayo players.
With regard to the Dubs, it's they way the love the complaining and the banter, more doing it to rise us than anything else. They have the same attitude with regard to Galway's hurlers complaining about the venues of the Leinster championship. Dead pan jokes etc

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: maigheo on November 05, 2016, 11:05:49 PM
I see Dublin are beginning to parade out there former players to knock Keegans POtY award starting with Vinnie Murphy in the Sindo.According to the bould Vinnie all Keegan does all game long is pull and drag his opponent and contributes nothing else.Wonder who will be giving there insight all next week,perhaps Charlie Redmond .   Cannot wait. :) :)

Fair dues to Lee Keegan on winning POTY. I wouldn't begrudge him the honour even though he got a black card in the final. It's a pity though that Philly McMahon wasn't given the same recognition last year after being so obviously the outstanding player of the year.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

criostlinn

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 06, 2016, 01:51:41 PM
I see Dublin are beginning to parade out there former players to knock Keegans POtY award starting with Vinnie Murphy in the Sindo.According to the bould Vinnie all Keegan does all game long is pull and drag his opponent and contributes nothing else.Wonder who will be giving there insight all next week,perhaps Charlie Redmond .   Cannot wait. :) :)

Fair dues to Lee Keegan on winning POTY. I wouldn't begrudge him the honour even though he got a black card in the final. It's a pity though that Philly McMahon wasn't given the same recognition last year after being so obviously the outstanding player of the year.

I think the difference between a player receiving a black card because his opposite number can't handle him and takes a dive before throwing a hissy fit to have him carded and a player who gouges another lads eye is so plainly obvious that I suspect you are taking the piss. But looking at some of the embarrassing Dublin reaction to Keegan's award, maybe you're not

omagh_gael

Quote from: INDIANA on November 04, 2016, 11:34:36 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on November 04, 2016, 09:40:17 PM
Can't believe how Kilkenny was in top three for POTY. Lucky to get even get an all star.

It's called talent. I appreciate it's in short supply in tyrone these days. So you may have forgotten what it looks like.

Quite happy to help you out though

No doubting the lad is incredibly talented. However, the role he played for you guys was extremely monotonous and, IMO, should not be rewarded with a top 3 position over the year. more deserving of that last based on last year's performances.

ZeitChrist

Kilkenny shouldn't have been anywhere near the award.

Lar Naparka

You may well be right about last year but if he got the same recognition that Keegan got in the final replay, he'd be heading for the sideline a lot sooner than Leroy did.
I'm not accusing you of anything in particular but many of your fellow-Dub supporters have gone OTT about Keegan's treatment of Connolly,  while far worse was happening at the other end of the field where Cooper and McMahon were giving Aidan O'Shea a torrid time of it  or what about Eamonn Fitzmaurice's moan that Donaghy had been "pilloried and raped" by the Dublin defence in the league final?
Many of the anti-Keegan brigade never saw what was happening between Keegan and Connolly as the game progressed. Well, I did as I knew there was going to be some craic between the pair of them and anyone who bothers to watch the replay again will see that Connolly was no angel either and the cameras didn't pick up the half of it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

maigheo

McMahon probably  should have won POTY last year but his trampish behavior was a big factor in him not getting the award.It says it all really when 2 of his opponents refused to shake hands with him at the end of the game.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 06, 2016, 09:29:41 PM

You may well be right about last year but if he got the same recognition that Keegan got in the final replay, he'd be heading for the sideline a lot sooner than Leroy did.
I'm not accusing you of anything in particular but many of your fellow-Dub supporters have gone OTT about Keegan's treatment of Connolly,  while far worse was happening at the other end of the field where Cooper and McMahon were giving Aidan O'Shea a torrid time of it  or what about Eamonn Fitzmaurice's moan that Donaghy had been "pilloried and raped" by the Dublin defence in the league final?
Many of the anti-Keegan brigade never saw what was happening between Keegan and Connolly as the game progressed. Well, I did as I knew there was going to be some craic between the pair of them and anyone who bothers to watch the replay again will see that Connolly was no angel either and the cameras didn't pick up the half of it.

I have no issue with Lee Keegan getting Player of the Year. He well deserved it. I was simply returning to a gripe from last year when in my opinion Philly McMahon was the outstanding player of the year but didn't get the award.

As for this year, congratulations to Lee Keegan on a great year.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

ashman

Quote from: ZeitChrist on November 06, 2016, 07:25:46 PM
Kilkenny shouldn't have been anywhere near the award.

He really should not have got an all star .  overrated . Seems a decent fellow .

Gael85

Shouldn't have been nominated for POTY but wouldn't say he overrated. He was best half forward in country last year kicking 18 points in 7 games. His role changed this year playing a much more deeper and defensive role only scoring 5 points in 7 games. He is only 23 and will hopefully continue to get better playing closer to goal.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 06, 2016, 09:29:41 PM

I believe there is a reason why when Cooper was shouldered in the back after Keegan's goal he got no sympathy from the umpire. It does be clear to see the carry on of the Dublin full back line when at matches and not having to watch on telly, especially when defending from the Hill.

The Artful Dodger

Keegan POTY....absoulute joke

Bod Mor

Quote from: The Artful Dodger on November 09, 2016, 01:31:33 AM

Welcome to the board and a huge thanks for that valuable contribution.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

muppet

Quote from: Bod Mor on November 09, 2016, 01:44:46 AM
Quote from: The Artful Dodger on November 09, 2016, 01:31:33 AM

Welcome to the board and a huge thanks for that valuable contribution.

He is yet another sock puppet. We seem to have an awful to of them recently.
MWWSI 2017