2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on November 04, 2016, 10:38:39 PM
Well done to Lee Keegan. Had him only just ahead of Kilkenny.

Did Connolly deserve one?

I think he did. Had some great games during the summer. He was never going to get the space to express himself v Keegan. But nobody gets that latitude any more at the business end of the year.

Whishtup

In my opinion, Connolly is the best footballer in the country.  Every game, people are hopping off him and he still produces the goods.  A tougher year for him but still an all-star.

ONeill

What great game did he have? Possibly against Meath or Laois?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on November 04, 2016, 11:19:12 PM

Yeah, but they would be trying to stop him too. Only a smother approach can contain him. Keegan is freakish in that he can do the job on his own and hurt a team at the other end.

INDIANA

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 04, 2016, 09:40:17 PM
Can't believe how Kilkenny was in top three for POTY. Lucky to get even get an all star.

It's called talent. I appreciate it's in short supply in tyrone these days. So you may have forgotten what it looks like.

Quite happy to help you out though

INDIANA

Donegal, kerry , 2nd all ireland final. You're getting warm ........

You can replay videos of him kicking scores from everywhere and tell the kids in your local club - now once upon a time in tyrone we used to have players like that...........................................................

Hope springs eternal

ONeill

Quote from: moysider on November 04, 2016, 11:32:10 PM

Yeah, but they would be trying to stop him too. Only a smother approach can contain him. Keegan is freakish in that he can do the job on his own and hurt a team at the other end.

No doubt. Keegan is on a par with Tomas, bar the medals.

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on November 04, 2016, 11:42:21 PM

Obviously we're agin medals. Successive managements have worked hard to ensure we don't win any in spite of the players' endeavours. It would be a pity if we won an AI cause it would ruin one of the great GAA stories. I mean you cant rewrite a Greek tragedy and give it a happy ending without ruining it. I'm used to the 'ochón ó agus ochón ó' state and not sure I could handle winning an AI now. I don t think it would be right. It would ruin everything.

ONeill

It would be a complete change of mindset alright. Possibly cataclysmic .

What would you tell yer children?

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on November 05, 2016, 12:37:16 AM
It would be a complete change of mindset alright. Possibly cataclysmic .

What would you tell yer children?

My kids have already seen 5 losses and pretty well accepting of our role in the big scheme of things.

My club has 5 different All-Star recipients and not a celtic cross between them. How brilliant and unique is that?!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on November 04, 2016, 10:36:12 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 04, 2016, 10:23:47 PM
Can't believe how Kilkenny was in top three for POTY. Lucky to get even get an all star.
Todays football with its obsession with possession stats. Kilkenny was far more impressive last year and his lack of scoring along with Brogan almost cost Dublin the All Ireland this year.

Kilkenny's role this year meant Dublin controlled games better. They decided to avoid the chaos of Mayo in 2012 and Donegal,2014. Brogan thrived in open shoot-out games but suffered in this year's conservative approach. Not as pretty but they still won.

Did Dublin really control games better this year? Needed individual errors from Mayo to gain any bit of control of the finals and this was against a Mayo side in average form all year. Last year against Kerry in the final was the one big game I seen Dublin control the best the last few years.  2012 Dublin conceded 0-19 to Mayo compared to the replay this year 1-14 does two more points conceded equal chaos?

The conservative approach I don't think so Brogan,Kilkenny scores were way off from what they scored last year it happens form dips and it seem Dublin score or create more goals when Jack McCaffrey is in the side.

One would probably have to go back to the seventies to find a pretty Dublin All Ireland final win

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on November 04, 2016, 12:12:55 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 03, 2016, 11:46:10 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 03, 2016, 11:07:39 PM

Probably. Hard to imagine anything that bizzare that happening anywhere outside Mayo.

A bit like the apparition at Knock then.

That was a miracle if you are into that kind of thing. The Clarke non-appearance for AI final replay was a ........ I dunno? There is no antonym for miracle in the English language. Disaster/ tragedy comes close.

It was a right f**k up by whoever made the call for him to be dropped imo. Yet nobody is calling for anyone's head. I know if it was Maughan, there'd be uproar if it happened.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gold

Quote from: ONeill on November 04, 2016, 11:42:21 PM

Keegan is a fantastic footballer and im glad he won POTY as the other 2 didnt deserve it

But........ Watch him v Connoly and Cavanagh. Watch the whole game. Watch how he is just physically holding Connolly when Dublin scored their 1st goal. Its all off the ball fouling that he unbelievably gets away with. No doubt Connolly is no shrinking violet but he 100% gets targeted, as does Cavanagh. He does not, as a forward  go out to hold onto a back.

Anyone here who has played as a forward knows the craic...if your man stands beside you and is fair then happy days. If he holds you and wont let go you simply have to try and break free....hence Cavanaghs sending off and Connollys ripped shirt

Keegan is class, undoubtedly, but he is stopping these boys by downright fouling and wouldve got the line if noticed
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

macdanger2

Are Connolly & Cavanagh the only forwards who get held? Or the only ones who react?

ashman

Quote from: INDIANA on November 04, 2016, 11:34:36 PM

It's called talent. I appreciate it's in short supply in tyrone these days. So you may have forgotten what it looks like.

Quite happy to help you out though

Ciaran Kilkenny is vastly overrated . Keegan probably deserved it to be fair .  The Dublin seethe is priceless .  That said the have the medals.