2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2016, 02:30:55 PM
I'd have Harrison in at corner back ahead of McMahon or Higgins.

All subjective of course and though Harrison has played well, Higgins has been consistently excellent and McMahon has also been very consistent keeping O'Se scoreless for 160 minutes over 2 matches.

westbound

Quote from: JoG2 on October 03, 2016, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 03, 2016, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 03, 2016, 01:50:38 PM
1. Cluxton
2. Higgins
3. Cooper
4. McMahon
5. Keegan
6. O'Sullivan
7. Harte
8. Fenton
9. Moran
10. McMenamin
11. Kilkenny
12. Connolly
13. Quinlivan
14. Geaney
15. O'Connor

Players unlucky to lose out are Rock, Durcan and Andy Moran.

Player of the year = Keegan or Fenton, I'd opt for Keegan.
Young player of the year = Durcan (if he qualifies)

O'Connor has 9 points from play in 8 games in Championship this season. He should not be in contention.

he has been absolutely instrumental in Mayo getting to the final this year and almost winning the thing. He carries the weight of the team a lot of the time in respect of his free taking. Do frees not count?

He missed the most important free he had all year!

JoG2

Quote from: westbound on October 03, 2016, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 03, 2016, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 03, 2016, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 03, 2016, 01:50:38 PM
1. Cluxton
2. Higgins
3. Cooper
4. McMahon
5. Keegan
6. O'Sullivan
7. Harte
8. Fenton
9. Moran
10. McMenamin
11. Kilkenny
12. Connolly
13. Quinlivan
14. Geaney
15. O'Connor

Players unlucky to lose out are Rock, Durcan and Andy Moran.

Player of the year = Keegan or Fenton, I'd opt for Keegan.
Young player of the year = Durcan (if he qualifies)

O'Connor has 9 points from play in 8 games in Championship this season. He should not be in contention.

he has been absolutely instrumental in Mayo getting to the final this year and almost winning the thing. He carries the weight of the team a lot of the time in respect of his free taking. Do frees not count?

He missed the most important free he had all year!

well considering it was Roscommon's championship to lose, the boy done good even getting to the final

AZOffaly

Evan Comerford must be in with a shout for goalkeeper. Clarke can't get it now, and Cluxton had a couple of dodgy moments.

muppet

Paddy Durcan matched, or outscored, each of the Dublin half forwards from play in both games, on top of his great defensive work. Has to be a shoe in.
MWWSI 2017

yellowcard

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2016, 03:03:15 PM
Paddy Durcan matched, or outscored, each of the Dublin half forwards from play in both games, on top of his great defensive work. Has to be a shoe in.

Thought he was consistently the best player on the field over the duration of the 2 finals. Does he qualify for young player of the year?

Maroon Manc

Extra game has probably helped a few players mainly Durcan who was no way near an All Star prior to the final but he's had 2 great games and will be hard to leave out. As for COC he doesn't deserve one, Andy Moran should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

I was under the impression the young player of the year is for an u21 and Durcan isn't.

ballinaman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 03, 2016, 04:32:38 PM
Extra game has probably helped a few players mainly Durcan who was no way near an All Star prior to the final but he's had 2 great games and will be hard to leave out. As for COC he doesn't deserve one, Andy Moran should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

I was under the impression the young player of the year is for an u21 and Durcan isn't.
U-23

rodney trotter

Paul Flynn was a shoe in, for a few years. 2011 - 2014 he won 4 in row. He wasn't nominated last year, unlikely to be this year either. Hard to keep up that consistency.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ballinaman on October 03, 2016, 04:47:24 PM

U-23

I stand corrected.

In that case Quinlivan would be my choice for young player of the year.

screenexile

Player of the year lads??

Big debate in work about it a lot of lads saying Connolly but he wasn't overly impressive in over the 2 finals. On the flip side who else could you give it to? None of the Dubs have been truly outstanding maybe Fenton had 2 decent games there. Colm Boyle?

imtommygunn

Fenton. Fantastic player.

mrdeeds

This is the thing about the All Stars I hate. Lads not near it and have a great final then there is your all star. It's meant to be Team of the Year isn't it? The most ridiculous was Star a couple years ago. The final should be looked at in the context of overall year.

Il Bomber Destro

I was fairly sure young player of the year was u21.

Ryan McHugh is my choice if it is u-23 which I don't think it is.

muppet

The All-Stars always give greater value to performances later in the year, in the big games. And rightly so.

What is the point in shooting 25 points in the first round against a division 4 team, if you go scoreless in the All-Ireland semi-final and final? The reverse also has to apply.
MWWSI 2017