August Bank Holiday weekend

Started by joemamas, July 20, 2016, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

For the Corporates , 5 and 10 year etc
Play them in. Navan :P

The performances of Clare and Galway raise some questions about "McFod" Syfín.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Connacht football is in some state.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ranch

In the first year of the qualifiers (2001) I'm near sure there was talk of all quarter finals being played at neutral venues. We therefore had Derry v Tyrone in Clones, Dublin v Kerry in Thurles, Galway v Roscommon was played in Connaught (can't recall where, I assume Castlebar) and Meath v Westmeath was in Croker.
I don't understand why we can't have all 4 on the same weekend still like we used to. We could have had a double header in Limerick yesterday rather than an empty Croke Park. Or even a triple header along with the Tyrone v Mayo game.
Dublin could have played on Bank Holiday Monday after the Ladies games that were played in Longford (especially as both Donegal and Dublin featured in the Ladies games anyway). There just doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking.

Ideally I'd prefer if the AI Championship was played after the League and Provincial Championships were wrapped up on a straight knockout basis. Weaker counties could get 2 decent home draws and find themselves in a quarter final. Have it so the quarter finals, semi finals and final are at Croker but before then it's the first team out of the hat at home. Surely something better can be found than what we currently have?

Jinxy

We need to talk about Croke Park.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2016, 10:54:36 AM
We need to talk about Croke Park.
We need to talk more about money.
And how to get people going to matches again.

Jinxy

The Croke Park 'aura' is being diminished by it's overuse.
You used to have to earn the right to play there.
I'm actually optimistic about the next 2-5 years in the GAA as I think there are a lot of simple things that can be done to reinvigorate the championship, and that's before we even get into changing the structures.
That depends on whether the will is there to make the changes though.
In the Leinster championship, I would like to see far greater use of Tullamore and Portlaoise.
I would rather run the risk of people missing out due to lower capacity than watch one more game in a half-empty Croke Park.
I'm sick of the sight of the place!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on August 02, 2016, 11:11:59 AM
I'm actually optimistic about the next 2-5 years in the GAA as I think there are a lot of simple things that can be done to reinvigorate the championship, and that's before we even get into changing the structures.
In the Leinster championship, I would like to see far greater use of Tullamore and Portlaoise.
I would rather run the risk of people missing out due to lower capacity than watch one more game in a half-empty Croke Park.

Have to say Tullamore is just a superb venue, easy to access, plenty of free parking, comfortable stand and terrace and always a good atmosphere. It's pretty central Leinster wise.

#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

At least ye Leinster bucks don't have to go to Saltfeckinhill >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Real Talk

The Ulster and Leinster Football Championships could be played within a much shorter time frame eg Ulster (after the preliminary round) could play 2 games each weekend thus allowing more space for a 'replay' and more week-end time for Club games.  The agreement with the TV coverage is not flexible enough and as has already been said here not nearly enough  regard for our 'amateur players' and supporters. 
The GAA championship structure is a 'shambles' with no emphasis on equality or fair play

blewuporstuffed

i would agree 100% with that
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

rosnarun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2016, 11:29:01 AM

Have to say Tullamore is just a superb venue, easy to access, plenty of free parking, comfortable stand and terrace and always a good atmosphere. It's pretty central Leinster wise.

Tullamore is the closest to a modern stadium outside dublin but its capacity is small for most  quarter finals, 20k most standing but it does generate a great atmosphere  .
maybe if they built a second stand on the hospiTAL side youd really have something.
Castlebar is probably next best but it is out of the way for most counties.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Unlaoised

Quote from: rosnarun on August 02, 2016, 02:01:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 02, 2016, 11:29:01 AM

Tullamore is the closest to a modern stadium outside dublin but its capacity is small for most  quarter finals, 20k most standing but it does generate a great atmosphere  .
maybe if they built a second stand on the hospiTAL side youd really have something.
Castlebar is probably next best but it is out of the way for most counties.

Tullamore is nice but the Stand is poorly designed its a bottle neck at the back and getting to your seat hence people go onto the pitch at the end to get out...The Far terrace is grand but then the Town end is just empty which really lets it down.

Portlaoise is bigger and has a better stand and terrace.

Both are decent central venues and should defo be used more
LAOIS ABÚ

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

O'Moore Park's location in the town is a bit of a downer, very hard to feel a championship atmosphere in the Town on matchday. I can't remember Portlaoise ever being packed either apart from the Roscommon game back in 03.