Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I think it will benefit Tyrone that we didn't play Mayo since the league last year. I think the Mayo posters on here are underestimating how hard it is to score against us from play.

I think Mayo will love to run at our desensive wall trying to punch holes in it but as Derry and Cavan found out they get numbers sucked in and then we break at speed.
Donegal were wise to that and didn't even try and so you got a lot of the lateral passing ending in shooting from distance.

I noticed Kerry took a lot of short passes from frees on Sunday rather than kick them long in hope. Tyrone did the same in the Ulster final.
I think Ronan could lose out on Saturday as he's been very quiet in the last two games. McShane is one of our best players in the forward line and also good for winning kickouts.
Mayo have the potential but will really have to work their asses off inside the Tyrone half. AOS has been quiet all year but you know he can win a high ball and score goals given the right ball. I think CoC and Regan will be suffocated.

BennyHarp

I agree Fuzz. I don't think Mayo can just rock up and expect to beat this Tyrone defence without a well worked out game plan. This may be were McEntee earns his corn but time may be against them. Players like Regan, Coc, DoC and Aiden O'Se are perfect for the Tyrone defensive system. O'Se sticking his head down and running into blind allies is something Mayo must be working on avoiding on Saturday. The Cavan drawn game should give them their answer but hopefully we've shored up those problems!
That was never a square ball!!

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2016, 11:22:32 PM
Mayo coming to the boil nicely.They should be able to take Tyrone as Donegal would have done had they had the courage to cut loose.

The great seer has spoken ... put the house on Tyrone  ::)

From the Bunker

As the game draws nearer, I can sense fear among our Northern Brethren. The last couple of posts have been taken up with talking Mayo down, rather than Tyrone up! Listening to Uncle Peter telling you - you are the second best team in the country is one thing. Proving it is a completely different thing. This Mayo side may be on the wane, but they have leaders all over the place. and they have not taken a easy beating in Croker in a long time. 2011 was the last v Kerry. I am looking forward to this game. If we are good enough we will beat Tyrone. If not good enough - then better off on our Arses back home, than delaying the inevitable beating to Kerry/Dublin later.

ZeitChrist

I don't see how this Mayo team could be 'on the wane' though. The age profile is not actually that old. Many of their players would be of a similar age to Dublin's players and younger than some of Kerry's key players. Granted, they haven't won an All-Ireland in order to feed that craving for some reward for the work they're putting in, which may make one disillusioned, but I wouldn't be so quick to declare that they are in decline. Tyrone are a team who appear to be improving and perhaps Mayo haven't been operating at 100% yet, but Mayo have a very good squad and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they have another gear when they need to find it. I said in the Westmeath v Mayo thread that there's no sense in hammering teams in the qualifiers. The latter stages of the championship is where good form matters. Mayo are more than capable of a big performance and a written off Mayo is a dangerous animal. The underdog tag has suited them rather well in the past. If Tyrone are going to win, they're going to have to fight for it. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2016, 07:09:58 PM
As the game draws nearer, I can sense fear among our Northern Brethren. The last couple of posts have been taken up with talking Mayo down, rather than Tyrone up! Listening to Uncle Peter telling you - you are the second best team in the country is one thing. Proving it is a completely different thing. This Mayo side may be on the wane, but they have leaders all over the place. and they have not taken a easy beating in Croker in a long time. 2011 was the last v Kerry. I am looking forward to this game. If we are good enough we will beat Tyrone. If not good enough - then better off on our Arses back home, than delaying the inevitable beating to Kerry/Dublin later.

Definitely not talking Mayo down, you're getting a bit sensitive as the day approaches. 😀 My post was just a thought about whether Mayo have had time to work on breaking down a defence unlike any they have faced in the past. Like Fuzz said, if you run into the wall it will play into Tyrone hands and will turn you over and break at pace. Donegal chose not to engage, Cavan went over the top. How do you envisage Mayo will approach it?
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 01, 2016, 07:24:27 PM
This is kinda where I'm at. Mayo are good enough to win quarter and semi finals. And they're good enough to beat Tyrone I'm confident about Tyrones ability but you have to say only an eejit would make one team hot favourites over another.

Definitely not talking Mayo down, you're getting a bit sensitive as the day approaches. 😀 My post was just a thought about whether Mayo have had time to work on breaking down a defence unlike any they have faced in the past. Like Fuzz said, if you run into the wall it will play into Tyrone hands and will turn you over and break at pace. Donegal chose not to engage, Cavan went over the top. How do you envisage Mayo will approach it?

omaghjoe

Wouldnt be underestimating Mayo in the slightest, they are a great team with great players that should have got over the line in the past few years.
It will take a great performance from a great team to beat them and I believe that will be the case this weekend

omaghjoe

Quote from: Main Street on August 01, 2016, 04:51:09 PM
Should Tyrone lose (unlikely),  Mickey will quick as a flash blame the media witch hunt after the Tiernan McCann 'incident' for unduly influencing  the outcome. 
Oh wait, hasn't that one been used already? maybe there's still a bit of life left in it, go green recycle a conspiracy.

Tyrone should win this one with points to spare.
This game's on Sky, most GAA viewers will miss it.

Longford ehh ;D ;D ;D ;D

ballinaman

Looking forward to this one. Mayo have put in their best performances this year when the pressure has been on, Monaghan and Roscommon away in the league. DOC will be back, I'd expect Parsons and Chris Barrett to push hard for a start too...
Tyrone looking strong, better than they have for a few years. Should be a great game.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 01, 2016, 09:00:35 PM
Wouldnt be underestimating Mayo in the slightest, they are a great team with great players that should have got over the line in the past few years.
It will take a great performance from a great team to beat them and I believe that will be the case this weekend

Galway beat them and have since proved not to be a great team. Mickey Harte is building another All Ireland winning team but I think it will be another year or two before that is achieved. At moment neither Mayo or Tyrone are great teams.

seafoid

Mayo are a great team. Tyrone are learning.

macdanger2

Probably a mix of going over the top and running into it - hopefully in waves popping passes rather than isolated one man shows. We haven't really been great at taking points from distance this year so I can't see us kicking the kind of points Donegal did in that first half.

I hope Barrett starts, he had a massive game against Tyrone in 2013 and he's a tight defender. Not sure who I'd drop, possibly Keane although that would leave us vulnerable to the high ball

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2016, 09:30:08 PM

Probably a mix of going over the top and running into it - hopefully in waves popping passes rather than isolated one man shows. We haven't really been great at taking points from distance this year so I can't see us kicking the kind of points Donegal did in that first half.

I hope Barrett starts, he had a massive game against Tyrone in 2013 and he's a tight defender. Not sure who I'd drop, possibly Keane although that would leave us vulnerable to the high ball

Clarke

Barrett Keane Higgins

Vaughan Keegan Boyle

Parsons S O Shea

D O Connor A O Shea K Mcloughlin (sweeper)

E Regan A Moran C O Connor

Should be the Mayo starting 15 this Saturday. A seasoned and experienced outfit that Tyrone will have to be at their very best to beat.