Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Think it'll be a cagey opening half and Mayo will go in a couple of points up. Tyrone to come out all guns blazing in second half to Nick it by 1-2 points.

Tyrone 1-15 Mayo 1-14.

macdanger2

criostlinn

macdanger2

Quote from: criostlinn on August 05, 2016, 11:46:34 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2016, 11:44:40 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 05, 2016, 10:41:36 PM
Does anyone need tickets for this

Looking for one ticket actually

I have a pair of them for the davin stand

Just talked the my brother, he already has one sorted. Cheers though

yellowcard

Tyrone 1-18 v Mayo 0-12. Form book to hold up and comfortable win for Tyrone and confirm the end of an era for this Mayo side.

moysider

No idea how this will pan out tbh. We've always had some bad sloppy habits that has cost us dearly down they years and think they still persist. It's a cultural thing I suppose and we have to accept it. Tyrone are more efficient to an extent to being mechanical. That is not a criticism. It is hugely admirable because at the end of the day it is about winning and if any team can achieve a level of repeating a tactical performance that mostly results in a win then ...... Tyrone and Donegal have their own version of catenaccio off to a fine art. That takes some doing. 
Mayo and other teams have tried to get more practical. But we're playing catch-up. We've seen with Galway and Roscommon as well already that we are way of the mark when we try to do it.
I've seen Tyrone college's teams as well as their county under age teams since Mickey Harte era began. They play like Tyrone senior teams do for the most part. The better underage players just graduate seamlessly into the senior team.
Tyrone most likely winners tomorrow. A two point lead is all they need with 20 minutes to go and they can win comfortably. In the league Dublin held Mayo at arms' length after getting a few points of a lead even without bothering too much and try and score again themselves. If the game lasted another week Mayo would not have broken them down.
My fear is that Tyrone can win this game playing 'rope-a -dope'. Actually I think that is the most likely scenario.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2016, 05:12:10 PM
Ray Silke has backed tyrone, pretty much guarantees mayo to win

I'll see your Ray Silke and raise you Mr T Fearon:

Quote from: T Fearon on August 05, 2016, 12:05:06 AM
That's what a Mayo/Donegal double bet will pay on Saturday.Has to be worth a couple of quid.

8)

joemamas

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 05, 2016, 02:39:57 PM
I think most Tyrone fans are feeling they have a good chance of beating Mayo this Sat mainly down to their very mean defensive system and how we've added a lot more scorers all around the pitch and no longer look to Sean Cavanagh all the time.
But are we underestimating this Mayo team and is it too easy to just say they have fallen back from last year's level and are a spent force?
If you look at their record the last few years then you can see they drew with both Dublin and Kerry and could have beaten them either time. In last year's semifinal they should have won the first day and in the second game they were head to head going into that final 10 mins before Dublin's very strong bench made the difference.
Unlike Donegal they don't have many players on the wrong side of 30, yet they have so much experience of being in quarterfinals, semifinals and finals.

On the other side of things Tyrone have got to two semifinals in the last 3 years, however they did so through quite a favourable run in the qualifiers and beat another Ulster team (Monaghan) in the quarterfinal each time. They had not beaten one of the top 5 teams since 2008 until they beat Donegal this year in a tight Ulster final which they almost lost. However, we have been in a major rebuilding stage of our team's development and having just about passed the Ulster final test against a big gun, we now face a more formidable test in Mayo who have been so close to bringing home the big prize.

So the questions remain. Are Tyrone as good as people are thinking (or wanting them to be) or is just hype? Is this a year too soon for this young team who continue to improve? Will their lack of match winning forwards only get them so far or will it actually benefit them as it's hard to tie anyone down?

Have Mayo really fallen so far from the high levels they have achieved in the last 3 years or is it just an early season blip and it's from quarterfinal stage onwards that they really show their true colours? We often disreguard how Dublin and Kerry play until this stage so are we being so harsh on Mayo? Time will tell of course but I think a few of us may be underestimating this Mayo team. They hammered Donegal in 2013 & 2015 whereas we have struggled to beat Donegal for years and see ourselves similar to them with maybe a more attacking mindset.

Personally I think if Tyrone's defensive system can hold strong and frustrate Mayo then we will win. Donegal didn't really test it I feel as they just chose to shoot from far out and were almost afraid to take a risk. They hardly used Murphy at all at FF whereas I can see AOS winning frees in there if he gets good ball. If AOS has a big game in him and Mayo throw everything at us then we will really see how far we have improved.

Kerry scored 18 points against us last year with virtually the same team we have lining out tomorrow which is a lot to concede considering we see ourselves as a defensively strong team. Are we getting carried away how good we are defensively? I'm not sure but what I do notice is how Cillian O'Connor seems to top score in nearly every game he plays from frees so Tyrone cannot afford to give away frees within 40 yards.

I feel Mayo will benefit from going in as slight underdogs as it gives them great motivation to prove so many people wrong. They don't fear Tyrone and I feel it's nicely set up for them to come out all guns blazing against a rather young team who have not had to deal with that before. I am hoping our well drilled system of play is enough to take Tyrone over the line but I'm a lot less confident than I was a week ago.

Excellent analysis. You won't get better on any newspaper.
As a Mayoman it hurts to say this but we look tired this year.
Truly reminds me of when we hammered donegal in 2013
Really hope I am wrong on this.
Was at league finals and was really impressed how Tyrone forced Cavan wide and made them try to score from way out.
Part of me feels Mayo should go for broke tomorrow and leave AOS and COC in the full forward line period.
For what it's worth this bunch of mayo footballers owe mayo fans absolutely nothing
They have made us proud on many occasions.
Donegal in 2013, Tyrone in 2013, Cork in 2014, Kerry draw and replay in 2014, ditto Dublin in 2015
An incredible group of players.

macdanger2

Quote from: never kickt a ball on August 06, 2016, 12:43:58 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2016, 05:12:10 PM
Ray Silke has backed tyrone, pretty much guarantees mayo to win

I'll see your Ray Silke and raise you Mr T Fearon:

Quote from: T Fearon on August 05, 2016, 12:05:06 AM
That's what a Mayo/Donegal double bet will pay on Saturday.Has to be worth a couple of quid.

8)

Shite, only Liam Hayes can save us now

macdanger2

f**k this arse boxing and "we haven't performed yet" plamàs, time for some fighting talk. If we can't beat these dirty, red hand, nordie, queens-shilling-taking, dark-arts-practising, cynical diving, Brexiteering, puke-footballing, rte-boycotting, potato bread-eating baaaaaastards by at least 12 points then Rochford and Co had better pack their backs and get the f**k back off to the wastelands of Galway. If the unthinkable happens and we lose, they're banished to the east, to the boglands of Roscommon.

Maigh Eo abú

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 06, 2016, 01:13:14 AM
f**k this arse boxing and "we haven't performed yet" plamàs, time for some fighting talk. If we can't beat these dirty, red hand, nordie, queens-shilling-taking, dark-arts-practising, cynical diving, Brexiteering, puke-footballing, rte-boycotting, potato bread-eating baaaaaastards by at least 12 points then Rochford and Co had better pack their backs and get the f**k back off to the wastelands of Galway. If the unthinkable happens and we lose, they're banished to the east, to the boglands of Roscommon.

Maigh Eo abú

Good man macdanger! lol!
I wish I was young again and had a bit of mischief about me.
The reality is that we have already lost a possible management team ( veteran players of the '89 team that beat Tyrone), down in Roscommon. But they should have known better.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Maigh Eo abú

More like it, get your humble pie hot on the plate - '89 hasn't gone away you know (was beginning to think that the most passionate Mayo buachaill was a Galway man who's talking fcuk all but nonsense, again)! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Maigh Eo abú

Good lad! I wouldn't worry, im sure your players will sack the manager anyway if (when) you lose!! Enjoy the game. May the best team win and go on to lift Sam!
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

omagh_gael

Time shut got real. Blast this loud boys on the road to Croker!

https://youtu.be/GOWZZdzUlVw