Who can stop Kerry?

Started by kerryforsam16, July 18, 2016, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 31, 2016, 03:00:03 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 31, 2016, 02:19:46 PM
Donaghy the worst man in the country for hitting wee men on the sneak with borderline yellow card tackles

The box on the head he gave to the Clare lad was more a borderline red card to be honest.
It was over the borderline, a straight red,
for deliberately striking a grounded opponent on the face with a hard slap.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

David McKeown

With what's happening in the Galway v Tipp match, Kerry's run to the semi looks slightly more impressive.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyHarp

Quote from: David McKeown on July 31, 2016, 05:32:21 PM
With what's happening in the Galway v Tipp match, Kerry's run to the semi looks slightly more impressive.

And what about what happened in the Kerry v Clare game? The team they had to play twice?
That was never a square ball!!

David McKeown

I still don't see Clare as any worse than the likes of Derry, Cavan, Fermanagh etc. So I don't see Kerry's run to the QF as any more difficult than Tyrone or Dublin or Galway.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Fear ón Srath Bán

If we're being honest with ourselves, there was absolutely no way of a Clare win today, just not possible. Is that what we want as a Quarter-Final, as a 'spectacle'?

The Provincial system proves yet again that it has no place in 2016, listen to f**k up GAA suits!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: David McKeown on July 31, 2016, 07:15:56 PM
I still don't see Clare as any worse than the likes of Derry, Cavan, Fermanagh etc. So I don't see Kerry's run to the QF as any more difficult than Tyrone or Dublin or Galway.

But do you not see that if Tyrone had to beat Derry then Cavan then Derry again to get to a semi final  then that would be equivalent to Kerry's run. The huge elephant in the room that you can't seem to grasp is that in the case of Tyrone for example they also have to beat two further Div 1 teams in Donegal and Mayo to get to the stage that Kerry are now at. If you and others like you are of the immovable mindset that this is still equitable them no wonder change is so hard to come by in the GAA.
That was never a square ball!!

blanketattack

Isn't beating teams that beat Div 1 teams better than beating those same Div 1 teams?

twohands!!!

I'd like to change my answer to the Kerry midfield - Donaghy and Moran were no great shakes but Maher and Sheehan when they came on were woeful. Maher I suppose at least has the excuse that he was out injured for a year, the other 3 were shocking imo.

Wildweasel74

wouldn't hurt Kerry to put Paul Murphy in midfield, he offering nothing from 11, and give Kerry some mobility to go along side Moran in the middle

5 Sams

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 31, 2016, 08:21:36 PM
I'd like to change my answer to the Kerry midfield - Donaghy and Moran were no great shakes but Maher and Sheehan when they came on were woeful. Maher I suppose at least has the excuse that he was out injured for a year, the other 3 were shocking imo.

Johnny Buckley would give them a bit of mobility at midfield when he gets fits.
The Aristocrat Years

Hound

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 31, 2016, 08:21:36 PM
the best two are clearly Maher and Moran, in my opinion. But they get less support from their half forwards / half backs than any of the other top teams. That's what they need to fix.

The Kerry forward line is the one best equipped to topple Dublin, but their backline is questionable. Don't think Fitz has ever got on top of what his best team is.

twohands!!!

I know there was a lot of talk about Kerry being in transition in 2014 but I reckon this year is the end of the road for a lot of them. There are just so many of the players that just don't look anyway near mobile enough.

Sheehan, O'Mahony and O'Se all looked woeful when they came on - I think a lot of the Clare goal chances came when they were all on the pitch - O'Mahony was very poor initially for the Clare chance that he deflected off the line - his positioning was an utter mess. I think within 5 minutes of Sheehan coming on he gave up on a footchase of a Clare player and looked out of puff. O'Se had a very easy chance for a tap over point but he looked out of puff after getting in that position. Clare players ran away from Maher on a couple of occasions (although he does have the being out injured for a year as an excuse but that's going to count for zero in a competitive game)
These were 4 out of the 6 subs -if they are coming on and not looking to be able to for the pace in a game seriously lacking in intensity I cna't see them doing anything in a game where there is any sort of intensity - BJK did look lively but that was against a Clare side who had thrown in the towel at that stage and I think 2 if not 3 of the starting Clare backs had been called ashore at that stage. The young Brosnan lad didn't really feature but was only on for a handful of minutes and was making his first senior appearance. I think the notion of Kerry having a strong squad is rubbish - I think their only hope is that Donegal take out Dublin somehow.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2016, 07:25:09 PM
If we're being honest with ourselves, there was absolutely no way of a Clare win today, just not possible. Is that what we want as a Quarter-Final, as a 'spectacle'?

The Provincial system proves yet again that it has no place in 2016, listen to f**k up GAA suits!
Tá an ceart agat. There is too much psychological history left in the provincial championships. Clare and Roscommon would benefit from a more open system.

rrhf

Kerry have no right to be in an all Ireland semi final this year at this point. The entire championship is bordering on appearing as an engineering mechanism to return certain teams to the top table each year.