What's going on in Maynooth Seminary?

Started by Seany, July 18, 2016, 07:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 07:57:24 PM

No Im not saying the universe is God

Anyway are you telling me you want scientific evidence...

Any evidence.......for this:

Quote"You do get that God is immaterial/spiritual in nature dont you? And that it is through our own spirit that God acts?"

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Speaking of evidence, I thought this was quite good...although maybe a diocese or two off thread.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/10153560999172330/
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 08:22:59 PM

Quote"You do get that God is immaterial/spiritual in nature dont you? And that it is through our own spirit that God acts?"

The human spirit

omaghjoe

But saying as we are on the subject of the universe and evidence....can you tell me what the evidence is of the universe?

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

The human spirit

The human spirit is defined many different ways. But I presume you take it to mean our higher functions such as thought, intellect, judgement etc?

I am finding it hard to see how these three words prove your statement, but please go on...
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 08:54:05 PM
But saying as we are on the subject of the universe and evidence....can you tell me what the evidence is of the universe?

All the proven scientific laws. They can be tested and provide identical results. They offer predictions which can be tested to be true or not. If not, those laws are discarded.

We can see it, hear it (radiation from the Big Bang), feel it (temperature), touch it (heavy elements on earth didn't come from the earth) and smell it.

We can even travel a fraction into it and look back at our place in it.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 08:57:11 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

The human spirit

The human spirit is defined many different ways. But I presume you take it to mean our higher functions such as thought, intellect, judgement etc?

I am finding it hard to see how these three words prove your statement, but please go on...

First you want evidence now you want proof, as I said before the proof is up to you????

We have a spirit.... we experience things...we have free will. These are evidence of our spirit

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 09:00:00 PM

All the proven scientific laws. They can be tested and provide identical results. They offer predictions which can be tested to be true or not. If not, those laws are discarded.

We can see it, hear it (radiation from the Big Bang), feel it (temperature), touch it (heavy elements on earth didn't come from the earth) and smell it.

So whats the evidence of it, how is the evidence verified

omaghjoe

Actually Muppet instead of this going down the usual route which after following the logic for a while usually ends with you throing the head up and telling me that Im talking nonsense in a similar fashion to Gallsmans contribution.

Instead maybe you could tell us what your outlook is? You seem inspired to disprove and rubbish other people's outlooks so you must be very sure of your own outlook on life, perhaps you could you indulge us?

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 09:04:01 PM

Can you see anything of the Universe?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 09:04:51 PM
Actually Muppet instead of this going down the usual route which after following the logic for a while usually ends with you throing the head up and telling me that Im talking nonsense in a similar fashion to Gallsmans contribution.

Instead maybe you could tell us what your outlook is? You seem inspired to disprove and rubbish other people's outlooks so you must be very sure of your own outlook on life, perhaps you could you indulge us?

This is precisely what religion is to me. I couldn't have phrased it better myself. Thankfully I live in a time where I can say it. This is probably the first or maybe second generation even in Ireland where you can dare to criticise the Church.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 09:06:16 PM

Yes, how do you see? how is it generated?

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 09:09:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 09:06:16 PM

Yes, how do you see? how is it generated?

Certain cells in the retina can detect and interpret light. I believe this is some form of chemical reaction. These reactions are sent to the brains as (some sort of) electrical impulses which the brain then interprets.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 09:08:41 PM

This is precisely what religion is to me. I couldn't have phrased it better myself. Thankfully I live in a time where I can say it. This is probably the first or maybe second generation even in Ireland where you can dare to criticise the Church.

So i presume thats a no then?

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2016, 09:12:28 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2016, 09:08:41 PM

So i presume thats a no then?

Why would I? I feel no desire to convert you to anything or any personal ideology I might have. I am curious and like to read about the world. History fascinates me but so does science. If history teaches me anything, it is that ideology is almost always eventually shown to be wrong and innocent people die because of it.

So my outlook is my own.
MWWSI 2017