Is the Full Forward Line Dead?

Started by Christmas Lights, July 18, 2016, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

There used to be a time when every kid wanted a county jersey with 14 on the back, I know i certainly did.  To me, the main man always wore number 14.  Past stars like Peter Canavan & Pauric Joyce made it their own.  You went to the game to see the man in 14, its was all about the full forward line, thats where the exciting player was, thats where the action was. 

Looking at a few of the games over the weekend, its now become the worst line on the field to play.  You couldn't help but feel sorry for the likes of McAliskey, Ronan Oneill and Patrick McBreaty playing in those positions yesterday, you really are fighting a lone battle and living of scraps for the majority of the game.  Players out the field might touch the ball  up to 20 or more times in the game.  The man in the FF line would be lucky if he touches it 5.  The pass in nearly has to be perfect and your first touch has to be impeccable otherwise you are gobbled up.   

Im not saying I dont like the way the game is played because I really do but I would not be envious of anyone playing in a FF line at the moment, its just bound to be so frustrating after a while. 

Is our beloved full forward line dead? Is the beautiful number 14 now an iron vest?           

Jinxy

The predatory corner forward is almost dead.
Enjoy Bernard Brogan while he's here because he'll be the last of them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aristo 60

J70

I said it in the Ulster Final thread yesterday.

From Donegal's past three games, with few exceptions, just about the only occasions Conor McManus and Patrick McBrearty were able to run onto balls, turn and shoot (and score!) were from balls that were delivered in straight from the throw-ins, before the sides got a chance to get the blankets in place. In most cases, both players were double marked, but they still did the business.

Can you imagine Michael Murphy at his prime at full forward, ten years ago?

BennyCake

Time for 10 or 11 a side. Gaelic football is finished otherwise.

screenexile

I felt for Ronan O'Neill yesterday he was just in there to try and pull players out of position because he hadn't a hope of getting the ball for a score . . .

muppet

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2016, 02:34:14 PM

From Donegal's past three games, with few exceptions, just about the only occasions Conor McManus and Patrick McBrearty were able to run onto balls, turn and shoot (and score!) were from balls that were delivered in straight from the throw-ins, before the sides got a chance to get the blankets in place. In most cases, both players were double marked, but they still did the business.

You might be on to something there.

If teams refuse to contest the kickout, then maybe we scrap the kickout.
MWWSI 2017

smort

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 02:49:52 PM

Re-start with a throw-in after every score?

muppet

Quote from: smort on July 18, 2016, 02:51:24 PM

I would hate to do something so drastic and you would definitely lose the excitement of watching the big catch from a kickout. But that art is almost dead anyway due to tactics.

For me there is nothing more better/worse for your supporters than, at a crucial time of a game, your/their main midfielder sails up and brilliantly fields a kickout and the relevant crowd goes wild. But our managers have almost killed that art.
MWWSI 2017

Hereiam

One thing i did notice was that when a Tyrone player like Pete Harte or big Sean made a run from high up the pitch and needed a breather they took the place of the full forward who then went to track back in their place. So in Tyrone's System the Full forward still has a role to play even if it isn't the flashy one that everybody has fond visions of. The fact is that when you have 7 men running towards goal playing the ball a lone man up at full forward in among 6 defenders will never be the option to take what O'Neill should have been doing was to come out  21-30 yards to meet the attach and try and get involved which is what his substitute did and got the reward for it.

seafoid

Ask Ros. I think there are 2 systems. Puke and the Dubs . Galway would be closer to the Dubs.

J70

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: smort on July 18, 2016, 02:51:24 PM

I would hate to do something so drastic and you would definitely lose the excitement of watching the big catch from a kickout. But that art is almost dead anyway due to tactics.

For me there is nothing more better/worse for your supporters than, at a crucial time of a game, your/their main midfielder sails up and brilliantly fields a kickout and the relevant crowd goes wild. But our managers have almost killed that art.

Well, how about lining up in proper positions for kickouts?

SkillfulBill

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2016, 03:42:48 PM
Ask Ros. I think there are 2 systems. Puke and the Dubs . Galway would be closer to the Dubs.

I am so sick of listening to this lazy crap that is spouted about the Dubs and how they play such attacking football. The only reason you see the Dubs rack up huge scorelines is due to the quality of the opposition they play for much of the summer. The reality is the rest of Leinster is pure dross.Put any of the other teams such as Mayo Tyrone Donegal and Kerry in Croke Park against those Leinster sides and the scoreline would also be huge. The Dubs are a fine side no doubt but we will see how good they are if the have to beat Donegal or Mayo Kerry and possibly Tyrone to win the All Ireland if the do that then it will be one of the best All Ireland ever won right up alongside Tyrone of 2005. Until then save me from this horseshite.

DuffleKing

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2016, 03:42:48 PM

Nonsense