Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2016, 06:49:40 PM
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258800

Mayo v Westmeath, Croke Park, 6pm 

After their 15-point defeat to Dublin in the Leinster final, Westmeath face another big ask in trying to topple Mayo on Saturday evening at HQ. 

The Lake men, now minus the services of the injured Ray Connellan, are ranked as 10/1 outsiders to end Stephen Rochford's side's campaign. That upset is difficult to envisage though given the Westerners' form since their Connacht semi-final loss to Galway. Mayo have hit 4-31 in their last two outings and the recent form of Diarmuid O'Connor and Evan Regan could present a problem for Tom Cribbin's defence, along with having All Stars Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor to contend with. 

In what is only the sides' second ever meeting in the championship (Westmeath won the first in 2001 after extra-time), Mayo will be gunning for their sixth consecutive All-Ireland quarter-final, while their Leinster counterparts are looking to end a 10-year wait for a berth in the last eight.

Verdict: Mayo

I can't recall Mayo and Westmeath ever meeting in the Championship after 2001?

The article says it's the second ever meeting this weekend. Which is correct.

From the Bunker

Quote from: shark on July 29, 2016, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2016, 06:49:40 PM
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258800

Mayo v Westmeath, Croke Park, 6pm 

After their 15-point defeat to Dublin in the Leinster final, Westmeath face another big ask in trying to topple Mayo on Saturday evening at HQ. 

The Lake men, now minus the services of the injured Ray Connellan, are ranked as 10/1 outsiders to end Stephen Rochford's side's campaign. That upset is difficult to envisage though given the Westerners' form since their Connacht semi-final loss to Galway. Mayo have hit 4-31 in their last two outings and the recent form of Diarmuid O'Connor and Evan Regan could present a problem for Tom Cribbin's defence, along with having All Stars Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor to contend with. 

In what is only the sides' second ever meeting in the championship (Westmeath won the first in 2001 after extra-time), Mayo will be gunning for their sixth consecutive All-Ireland quarter-final, while their Leinster counterparts are looking to end a 10-year wait for a berth in the last eight.

Verdict: Mayo

I can't recall Mayo and Westmeath ever meeting in the Championship after 2001?

The article says it's the second ever meeting this weekend. Which is correct.

Sorry, scratch that! Completely misread it!

From the Bunker

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/07/29/4124186-mayo-name-unchanged-15-to-face-westmeath/

MAYO manager Stephen Rochford has named an uncharged team to face Westmeath in tomorrow's All-Ireland SFC 4B qualifier against Westmeath at Croke Park. Throw-in at 6 p.m.

The big surprise is that Tom Parsons remains on the bench despite reports that he had returned to full fitness.

It means Seamus O'Shea and Donal Vaughan will line out in the No. 8 and No. 9 positions, respectively.

Kevin Keane is fit to start at full back after shaking off an injury while Andy Moran is retained in the full forward role.

Kevin McLoughlin, at No. 10, will make his 87th appearance for the county at senior level.

The team is as follows:

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3. Kevin Keane (Westport)
4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
8. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
9. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
11. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
15. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

Farrandeelin

With the way things are gone, teams not starting as selected and tactical changes. I can see why there's not much discussion on them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 29, 2016, 11:40:19 PM
With the way things are gone, teams not starting as selected and tactical changes. I can see why there's not much discussion on them.

Was thinking the same. There are at least 3 players named that might not start.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2016, 11:47:36 PM

Really? What have you heard?

We know Keane is winged but besides?

Unlikely that Parsons would be started. Surely best to nurse him back gradually. He wasn t even togged for Kildare. I'd like to see Barrett get some football too. Okay with starting team though.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2016, 12:10:34 AM

Unlikely that Parsons would be started. Surely best to nurse him back gradually. He wasn t even togged for Kildare. I'd like to see Barrett get some football too. Okay with starting team though.

I heard nothing, Just speculating. I don't expect Parsons to start. Heard he was ok for Kildare game, just management decided we'd be sound without him. Barrett has to be a worry, even fit he wont be fit (so to speak!). Looking forward to tomorrow, just to see our shape in Croker (so to speak).

Mayoffs

Should be interesting to see how McLoughlin does tomorrow in the wide open expanses of Croke Park. Midfield is dodgy, but expect a 5 - 6 point win. Regan for first Mayo goal
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

Chimley

Quote from: Mayoffs on July 30, 2016, 12:36:09 AM
Should be interesting to see how McLoughlin does tomorrow in the wide open expanses of Croke Park. Midfield is dodgy, but expect a 5 - 6 point win. Regan for first Mayo goal

Blasphemy! DOC for the first point, goal and MOM.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Go on, go on, go on, the feckin' Lakesiders, go feckin' on! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2016, 12:19:29 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2016, 12:10:34 AM

I heard nothing, Just speculating. I don't expect Parsons to start. Heard he was ok for Kildare game, just management decided we'd be sound without him. Barrett has to be a worry, even fit he wont be fit (so to speak!). Looking forward to tomorrow, just to see our shape in Croker (so to speak).

I cant imagine that Parson's wouldn't have got some time V Kildare if he was really 'fit' at that stage. Hamstring injuries are always tricky - even on the lower scale of damage.
Correct about Barrett. He never gets a short term injury and when he is right it doesn t last long unfortunately.
I expect that team to start tbh. Maybe they are bluffing with Keane? He was obviously injured before replaced v Kildare. He attempted a block in first half with one arm only. Obviously winged. The only thing that could have caused that was an innocent enough swing around earlier that caused him to grimace and take stock. Looks like he's playing through a long term problem with a shoulder. If Keane does not start it will be interesting to see.
Leave the rest of team alone and play Coen at fb?
Vaughan to fb and start Barry?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 28, 2016, 09:46:25 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2016, 09:39:15 PM
Is GAAGO good or is it failing?

Haven't watched any game live on GAAGO, but I'm pleased with viewing games on demand.

Buffering is minimal lately...maybe once per game for ten seconds at most.

Better than last year, but still unwatchable on the HD option for me--stops/starts every 5 seconds.  I find if you click on the little settings button on the bottom of the screen, and choose a non-HD option, it works pretty well then.  Still not perfect, but usually only buffers/crashes once or twice during a game.   Fine if not a big game for your county.

BennyCake

Is this match, and Donegal Cork, on TV later?

Zulu

Qwerty28

Can someone please post or pm a link to watch games on - thanks!