Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2016, 08:26:14 AM
I suppose the team will be named tomorrow. I expect the same line-out as the one v Kildare. Would not be surprised if Parsons starts on the bench. Will be interesting to see how the McLoughlin/Higgins experiment works in Croker. As well as the result,No  injuries and no red cards would be a help.
Do you think Keane will be fit to line out or at least play some part in the game? If he doesn't start, the options are fairly limited. Dunno if Donie would make the grade at #3.
He is certainly versatile but from a half back to midfield and then as a sweeper, he is being shunted about.
He could well lose his amateur status as a Traveller!
Even if Keane does play, he's no Usain Bolt and his lack of pace could expose him in the wide open spaces of Croker. Great pity that Caff is not available.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

a lot of these system depend on the quality of player operating them as much as the system . and in in Mcloughlin and Higgins we have no need to worry about that .
this is a plan I think for Dublin lets just hope they get the chance to show it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ZeitChrist

Mayo will likely win this. They would be better off just doing enough to win though and not producing anything that's going to get people over excited. No sense in doling out hammerings in the qualifiers. Save the big performance for a later date. I'm sure this is what Mayo intend to do as well.

Farrandeelin

Is GAAGO good or is it failing?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2016, 09:39:15 PM
Is GAAGO good or is it failing?

Haven't watched any game live on GAAGO, but I'm pleased with viewing games on demand.

Buffering is minimal lately...maybe once per game for ten seconds at most.

maigheo

Find GaaGo pretty good .This is my second year having it and have never encountered any major problem

From the Bunker

Will there be 15k in . Croker at tomorrow's games? Most of Mayo and Donegal are waiting for the following weekend. Cork don't travel. And Westmeath may bring a crowd. But nothing of massive proportions.

AZOffaly

I remember a Mayo Westmeath game in Roscommon I think back in maybe 2002 or 2003. It was an epic struggle, went to extra time. My cousin scored a vital fisted point in extra time, because he wasn't able to kick straight :) I wonder would we get something similar tomorrow?

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2016, 09:14:42 AM
I remember a Mayo Westmeath game in Roscommon I think back in maybe 2002 or 2003. It was an epic struggle, went to extra time. My cousin scored a vital fisted point in extra time, because he wasn't able to kick straight :) I wonder would we get something similar tomorrow?

2001. Lost to Meath in 1/4 final then, after replay. Pretty sure Gav's point was the final one of the game.

GaillimhIarthair

Lads that can't kick straight? Probably! 😜

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on July 29, 2016, 09:20:10 AM

2001. Lost to Meath in 1/4 final then, after replay. Pretty sure Gav's point was the final one of the game.

It surely was.

Couple of big changes there, surprised if that team starts. Good to see John Connellan back anyway.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cuconnacht

Might be reaching a bit,anyone  know of a bar downtown ciudad de Mexico showing beloved dead rabbits v westmeath.

muppet

Quote from: cuconnacht on July 29, 2016, 03:01:15 PM
Might be reaching a bit,anyone  know of a bar downtown ciudad de Mexico showing beloved dead rabbits v westmeath.

I miss when I could go for a pint with certain people, and wake up on a different continent.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: cuconnacht on July 29, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

You'll be doing well - was in an 'Irish' bar there before and no GAA

From the Bunker

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258800

Mayo v Westmeath, Croke Park, 6pm 

After their 15-point defeat to Dublin in the Leinster final, Westmeath face another big ask in trying to topple Mayo on Saturday evening at HQ. 

The Lake men, now minus the services of the injured Ray Connellan, are ranked as 10/1 outsiders to end Stephen Rochford's side's campaign. That upset is difficult to envisage though given the Westerners' form since their Connacht semi-final loss to Galway. Mayo have hit 4-31 in their last two outings and the recent form of Diarmuid O'Connor and Evan Regan could present a problem for Tom Cribbin's defence, along with having All Stars Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor to contend with. 

In what is only the sides' second ever meeting in the championship (Westmeath won the first in 2001 after extra-time), Mayo will be gunning for their sixth consecutive All-Ireland quarter-final, while their Leinster counterparts are looking to end a 10-year wait for a berth in the last eight.

Verdict: Mayo

I can't recall Mayo and Westmeath ever meeting in the Championship after 2001?