Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: yellowcard on July 27, 2016, 11:43:06 AM
If Mayo are to have any errand against either Dublin or Tyrone the following week they will need to win this by at least 12 points given that Westmeath are a division 4 team next season. Form cannot be turned on and off like a tap however, and I expect they might find it tougher than that though they will probably come through with 6 or 7 points to spare. In terms of Westmeath they have probably achieved what any county in Leinster (on the right side of the draw) set out to at the start of the season ie. get to a Leinster final.
What if it's an 11 point win? Are we still banjaxed then?

From the Bunker

If Mayo are to have any errand against either Dublin or Tyrone the following week they will need to win this by at least 12 points given that Westmeath are a division 4 team next season. Form cannot be turned on and off like a tap however, and I expect they might find it tougher than that though they will probably come through with 6 or 7 points to spare. In terms of Westmeath they have probably achieved what any county in Leinster (on the right side of the draw) set out to at the start of the season ie. get to a Leinster final.

Rubbish. All Mayo need to do is win. We will be judged on the following weeks result if we do!

highorlow

If we win every game from now on by 1 point I wouldn't give a shit.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

yellowcard

Quote from: ballinaman on July 27, 2016, 11:51:11 AM

I'm not going to get hung up over actual points difference (or certainly a point or two here or there) but I think you can get the gist of the point I'm making. They need to at least put on a performance that they have yet to produce all season and show that they are valid challengers to Tyrone or Dublin. I have my doubts but lets just wait and see how the next 2 weeks unfold. I think Mayo will win Sunday but will struggle against either Dublin/Tyrone the following week. 

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2016, 11:32:39 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2016, 10:01:08 AM
Martin Carney very much so knows his shit.

Not Martin  that wrote piece!

Much like his commentary he was all over the piece.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2016, 12:14:01 PM

Don't get hung up on comments from small town provincial papers. They are playing to a certain audience. Paper never refuses ink.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2016, 12:17:07 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2016, 12:14:01 PM

Don't get hung up on comments from small town provincial papers. They are playing to a certain audience. Paper never refuses ink.

Too late, have already blown it up ten-by-ten.

It'll fit down the tunnel alright, better check the dressing rooms.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Crete Boom

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2016, 09:47:03 AM
Hopefully we can keep the ball kicked out to ye

The only reason anyone in Mayo actually heard about that Aiden Henry article was because the Westmeath Examiner had a story about how arrogant us Mayo folk are (sickening arrogant probably at this stage)!!

One thing though is the Westmeath Examiner and the Connacht Telegraph are owned by the same people aren't they?? I sense a cunning plan to trip up (they will be no diving needed here) us poor naive Mayo people from Westmeath!!!

They probably picked up a few pointers from their neighbours to the east!!!

Or maybe just maybe one paper is helping promote a desperate rag that nobody reads anymore for the benefit of their joint ownership??

The Aristocrat

The media's darling Mayo being hyped up again. A very disrespectful article.

rosnarun

Quote from: The Aristocrat on July 27, 2016, 01:07:57 PM

very disrespectful.

but isn't it just saying what every one knows?
We must learn to be much more patronizing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: yellowcard on July 27, 2016, 12:01:17 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 27, 2016, 11:51:11 AM

I'm not going to get hung up over actual points difference (or certainly a point or two here or there) but I think you can get the gist of the point I'm making. They need to at least put on a performance that they have yet to produce all season and show that they are valid challengers to Tyrone or Dublin. I have my doubts but lets just wait and see how the next 2 weeks unfold. I think Mayo will win Sunday but will struggle against either Dublin/Tyrone the following week.

Mayo should beat Westmeath by a similar margin to what they beat Kildare it's depends on how defensive Westmeath play. Mayo will then beat Tyrone by a point or two. That will set up a rematch with Galway which Mayo should gain revenge. So this summer Mayo will likely reach their 3rd All Ireland final in 5 years but will likely come up short in the final again.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on July 27, 2016, 01:55:01 PM

very disrespectful.

Don't know much about Aidan Henry and I wasn't impressed by what I have read of his work to date.

He launched a particularly bitter and utterly bizarre attack on James Horan a few years ago that would put Joe Brolly to shame. I couldn't make head nor tailof what he was on about and I'd say 95% of his readers would feel the same as I did.
However, while I haven't read his latest offering it seems, from what I have read here, he is just saying what Mayo fans in general are feeling- a bit like Donald Trump and his stop-all-Muslims-coming-in policy.

If Mayo don't show a bit of ruthlessness towards Westmeath on Saturday, they may as well resign themselves to the reality that the following game will be their last for this year- assuming they win this game.
Mayo have just been getting a biteen better as they've progressed from one game to the next but I've seen nothing to date to suggest that they would be able too chase the likes of Dublin or Kerry off the pitch if they happen to meet up at a later stage and you could probably add Tyrone to that list as well.
I couldn't imagine any of those three taking the foot off the pedal if they were, say, ten points up with five minutes to go. I've seen Mayo falling asleep on the job when in even more favourable circumstances.

Absolutely no personal problem with the Lakesiders; it's just that they are standing in our way. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

A jammy 1 point win would be the best result for Mayo. Keep in the long grass. Still the team I fear most, in particular if Cork beat Donegal and we got Mayo in the quarters

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 27, 2016, 05:18:36 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 27, 2016, 01:55:01 PM

very disrespectful.

Don't know much about Aidan Henry and I wasn't impressed by what I have read of his work to date.

He launched a particularly bitter and utterly bizarre attack on James Horan a few years ago that would put Joe Brolly to shame. I couldn't make head nor tailof what he was on about and I'd say 95% of his readers would feel the same as I did.
However, while I haven't read his latest offering it seems, from what I have read here, he is just saying what Mayo fans in general are feeling- a bit like Donald Trump and his stop-all-Muslims-coming-in policy.

If Mayo don't show a bit of ruthlessness towards Westmeath on Saturday, they may as well resign themselves to the reality that the following game will be their last for this year- assuming they win this game.
Mayo have just been getting a biteen better as they've progressed from one game to the next but I've seen nothing to date to suggest that they would be able too chase the likes of Dublin or Kerry off the pitch if they happen to meet up at a later stage and you could probably add Tyrone to that list as well.
I couldn't imagine any of those three taking the foot off the pedal if they were, say, ten points up with five minutes to go. I've seen Mayo falling asleep on the job when in even more favourable circumstances.

Absolutely no personal problem with the Lakesiders; it's just that they are standing in our way. ;D

Newspapers are having a tough time in general. Even when I buy one I often don't open them, which I've often reminded myself. is a waste of money. But I fall off the wagon sometimes and buy a paper. And I end up recycling it in pristine condition.
Nobody writing about football is really worth reading. It's just an opinion.
The man doing that particular piece is earning a crust. He has an agenda or maybe he thinks this approach will stave off the inevitability of the newspaper just winding up. Only looked at the headline and that is enough (even though some sub-editor decided what the headline was).

The language of the headline is interesting, but of course that could be a complete accident!

'Should' does not mean 'will'. Of course he could have used the word 'shall', but that would put his judgement on the line.
He could have used 'could' instead of 'should' but he's more aggressive.
His implications are clear. If Mayo lose against Westmeath he will go after Mayo management like they were made out of ham.
Maybe he needs to do this shit to sell papers and keep a job? Times are tough.

From the Bunker

I suppose the team will be named tomorrow. I expect the same line-out as the one v Kildare. Would not be surprised if Parsons starts on the bench. Will be interesting to see how the McLoughlin/Higgins experiment works in Croker. As well as the result,No  injuries and no red cards would be a help.