Miltary coup in Turkey?

Started by armaghniac, July 15, 2016, 09:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Turkey behaved oddly with a couple of u-turns very recently.

They apologised to the Russians for shooting down the fighter jet and they were cosying up to Assad in the last week.

Now this.

Something else is going on.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

I would shed no tears for his departure. Wonder is it an indigenous coup, Russian or US backing both possible!

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2016, 10:32:55 PM
Turkey behaved oddly with a couple of u-turns very recently.

They apologies to the Russians for shooting down the fighter jet and they were cosying up to Assad in the last week.

Now this.

Something else is going on.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ea45ed8-3ed4-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a.html

And while Isis is a top priority in the US and Europe, in Turkey, Kurdish separatism has a long-established status as the deepest fear among many ethnic Turks. The resurgence of the 30-year conflict with the PKK means that funerals for Turkish soldiers feature almost daily on the evening news.

The police and intelligence services, meanwhile, are overstretched fighting the PKK, Isis and Mr Erdogan's domestic enemies.

"For Turkey to confront all these security threats at once is an overwhelming task," Ms Goksel said.

omaghjoe

He's calling people onto the streets...in other words hes fucked

Must be more to it than "secularism" and democracry that both sides are bandying about. I would safely say neither sides gives a shite about either

seafoid

TURKEY BLOCKS TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND YOUTUBE

But not Pokémon go

seafoid

The political situation is chaotic. I was thinking it sounds like Thailand

omaghjoe

Would be some ploy by the Russians to infiltrate a NATO military and then overthrow the goverment. ;D

Russia has no role in this... CIA much more likely to be, although we should find out soon enough. I would say the security situation there has a big role in it, ....

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 15, 2016, 10:36:05 PM

Must be more to it than "secularism" and democracry that both sides are bandying about. I would safely say neither sides gives a shite about either

Rightly or wrong the Turkish army sees itself as the heirs of Ataturk and so secularism.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

It might be about Kurdish separatism. The kurds in Syria are winning Vs Isis and  are not going back to the status quo . Turkey is only 50% Sunni turk. It has big Shia and Kurd populations who have been kept down for years . The war in Syria is driving a lot of change.

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on July 15, 2016, 10:41:42 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 15, 2016, 10:36:05 PM

Rightly or wrong the Turkish army sees itself as the heirs of Ataturk and so secularism.

Well lets hope Ataturk is on their minds and not the Ottoman Sultans otherwise things could get very interesting.

Although their rule did bring peace and stability to that region for centuries so....

LeoMc

Quote from: bennydorano on July 15, 2016, 10:33:35 PM
I would shed no tears for his departure. Wonder is it an indigenous coup, Russian or US backing both possible!
I would assume some covert support.

This is a NATO member bordering Iran, Iraq and Syria.

armaghniac

Alex Salmond organised it to drive up the price of oil.

screenexile

Fascinating!!!

Al Jazeera England seem to be well ahead of the curve they are showing their live feed on Facebook.

The military have withdrawn from Ataturk Airport... Time is ripe for ISIS to do something big in Turkey as well but hopefully not.

A military coup is not a good idea!!

Milltown Row2

Another holiday destination gone... Never been and more than likely never will
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2016, 11:38:33 PM
Another holiday destination gone... Never been and more than likely never will

There'll be some great deals now.