County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, July 13, 2016, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 08, 2016, 08:31:42 PM
On a genuine note, why are the players beyond reproach with Roscommon? Year on year excuses are proferred and management is made the sacrificial lamb. When will people look at the one constant in this? The players.
Out of interest and off the top of your head how many Roscommon players can you name?

Muppet posted this picture on another thread, 4 Roscommon players can you name them? http://img.rasset.ie/000c8bac-800.jpg (no help from Roscommon posters now)

Rossfan

Laythrums have a new management team - Benny Guckian, Sèamus Quinn, Michael Miles plus John O' Mahony in an advisory role.

The Bomber is back to his Roscommon obsession I see :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rudi on September 08, 2016, 09:30:30 PM
On a genuine note, why are the players beyond reproach with Roscommon? Year on year excuses are proferred and management is made the sacrificial lamb. When will people look at the one constant in this? The players.

On a separate note, I can't understand why our last management team deviated from our beautiful fast flowing football that we displayed against Cork and Donegal,to the complete foreign muck we played verses an average Galway side.

Sure the Connacht final replay was full of open attacking football and looked what happened?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 08, 2016, 09:58:20 PM
Out of interest and off the top of your head how many Roscommon players can you name?

Muppet posted this picture on another thread, 4 Roscommon players can you name them? http://img.rasset.ie/000c8bac-800.jpg (no help from Roscommon posters now)

This current Roscommon team have had a negligent impact at Championship level over the past 4/5 years despite being highly tipped to make waves, their players seem to be absoloved from blame again and again despite being the one constant in their failings.

I'm just wondering genuinely interested as to why this is the case. Scapegoating managers and other factors is an easy option.

Rudi

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 08, 2016, 10:46:30 PM

On a separate note, I can't understand why our last management team deviated from our beautiful fast flowing football that we displayed against Cork and Donegal,to the complete foreign muck we played verses an average Galway side.

Sure the Connacht final replay was full of open attacking football and looked what happened?
For one team it was. We played defensive but we're complete and utter rubbish at it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's where it all went wrong, you read poetry against Galway, apparently! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rudi

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 08, 2016, 11:06:58 PM

That's where it all went wrong, you read poetry against Galway, apparently! ;)

That's it nail on head :)

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 08, 2016, 08:16:46 PM
Kevin McStay said this last October.

I had made up my mind that if I ever did this job in Roscommon that I would have to have a very strong Roscommon voice with me and I decided a long, long time ago, even going back a few years, that if I was ever asked to do the Roscommon job then Fergal O'Donnell would have to be the man with me – and if he didn't agree then I would not have done it.

"It was probably a bit unfair on Fergal because it put pressure on him, but I told him that I would not do this job without him and we teased it out over a number of meetings and thankfully he agreed to join me and that's where we are now

And now McStay is expected to go it alone after the manner of Fergal O Donnells departure?

He doesn't have much choice, does he?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 08, 2016, 10:52:02 PM

This current Roscommon team have had a negligent impact at Championship level over the past 4/5 years despite being highly tipped to make waves, their players seem to be absoloved from blame again and again despite being the one constant in their failings.

I'm just wondering genuinely interested as to why this is the case. Scapegoating managers and other factors is an easy option.

A Tyrone political answer meaning you haven't a clue of the name of any of their players but you read somewhere those players where talked up and that annoyed you.

Maybe it's just me but I would never be interested in a case I know very little or nothing about it.

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2016, 10:16:32 PM
Laythrums have a new management team - Benny Guckian, Sèamus Quinn, Michael Miles plus John O' Mahony in an advisory role.

Imagine if this had happened up in Tyrone?
The southern media would be all over it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on September 09, 2016, 12:10:55 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2016, 10:16:32 PM

Imagine if this had happened up in Tyrone?
The southern media would be all over it.
I can't imagine Tyrone appointing them lads now seeing as Laythrum already have ;D
Still the Free State media would..........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 08, 2016, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 08, 2016, 12:51:12 AM

It's September and Roscommon is still the biggest story. Ye have to admire it.

That set up in Ros. was always going to end in grief. Expensive lesson as well I suspect because it was financial demands that scuttled McStay's bid for Mayo gig after Horan. Extravagant to fork out for a guy, to buy out his media earnings, only for him to sit in the stands

Roscommon aside and this is a manager merry-go- round thread; why are counties not going after Holmes and Connelly?
Ran Dubs to an AI semi replay last year and had some success with underage teams?

Nonsense. McStay was always in the stands as a manager.

I suppose it does give Mayo a chance to distract themselves from the impending extension to the House of Pain next week..

Nonsense is right. He might not have the luxury of sitting in the stands next year.

Don't concern yourself with us. I've no doubts where McStay would prefer to be next week. Preparing for an AI final that will probably be lost or going through this humiliation in Roscommon and probability of more to come.

moysider

In a statement issued last night by three members of the management, it was claimed a "concerted effort has been made (outside of management and players) to undermine and disparage us."

Who is 'us'?
Where was the concerted effort to undermine and disparage them coming from it if was from outside other members of management and players?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 08, 2016, 11:41:26 PM

A Tyrone political answer meaning you haven't a clue of the name of any of their players but you read somewhere those players where talked up and that annoyed you.

Maybe it's just me but I would never be interested in a case I know very little or nothing about it.

I think you just need to look here as a backdrop for your answer. The players never seem to be questioned, it never seems to be an acceptance that the players just might be a pretty average group, that they might have an attitude problem and don't work as hard as other counties pr have the same spirit.

It's always other factors like management, injuries, tactics and selection etc that are proffered up. The players never seem to be questioned or put under the spotlight, it's like they are golden children and it can can never be their fault. If other counties had the same amount of resources and time extended to them that this Roscommom team have - they had one of the biggest spends of gaelic football county teams in 2015 - and flopped like Roscommom did then the players would be catching a lot more flak.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 09, 2016, 06:56:22 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 08, 2016, 11:41:26 PM

I think you just need to look here as a backdrop for your answer. The players never seem to be questioned, it never seems to be an acceptance that the players just might be a pretty average group, that they might have an attitude problem and don't work as hard as other counties pr have the same spirit.

It's always other factors like management, injuries, tactics and selection etc that are proffered up. The players never seem to be questioned or put under the spotlight, it's like they are golden children and it can can never be their fault. If other counties had the same amount of resources and time extended to them that this Roscommom team have - they had one of the biggest spends of gaelic football county teams in 2015 - and flopped like Roscommom did then the players would be catching a lot more flak.

Where was the money spent so Il Bomber. There was no over sea's training camp last year. In fact the most they got away was one night in Limerick. There was a trip to London that is expensive but even at that all panel members not included in 26 had to fund their own way over to London. Unlike Tyrone we don't have the Queen to fund us down here and cant afford a highly expensive training centre. We spent a fortune renting out St Lomans in Mullingar's and Ait's facilities last year to train . We also spent a lot on mini buses and taxi's to bring lads down from Dublin with nearly 20 of panel based up there.