Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: aontroim abu on July 18, 2016, 11:36:38 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 18, 2016, 11:26:33 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 18, 2016, 11:23:12 AM
Quote from: aontroim abu on July 18, 2016, 11:15:51 AM
Quote from: red hander on July 17, 2016, 05:22:36 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 17, 2016, 04:32:13 PM
Tyrone hard done by by ref. How was there no red card for kick on Cavanagh?

That clown Coldrick actually gave a yellow card for it, which defies logic, and then couple of seconds later Thompson committed a rugby tackle and he ignored it completely  >:(

100% right, it happened right in front of me, ref seen it as did linesman.

Both black cards were legit, Brennans wasn't a penalty, thought Donegal had a shout for one when McCann ran into someone from behind. I also thought Kavanagh should've had a black for his tackle just before half time. Murphy treads a very fine line, pretty soon some ref has to stand up to him. Thought both Harte's and Cavanaghs points were pure class, as was Murphys free from distance.
You think Donnelly intentionally charged into McHugh?

What's worse than that is McHugh runs straight at him and jumps into him.

in this day and age Donnelly should've known what to expect, in my opinion he deliberately hit McHugh, had no intention of pulling out, and should've knew McHugh would've run on into him and milked it (though in fairness he actually didn't, he was injured)

on another matter what the hell is with this Donegal keeper???? He leapt about yesterday like he was shot, lay down curled up like he was crying for his mommy?? ffs its a contact sport, a mans game, grow a pair

Donnelly clearly looked for the contact. Clear black card. It was surprising because Peter Donnelly seems to have got Tyrone much more disciplined in their tackling.

dublin7

Quote from: lenny on July 18, 2016, 11:42:21 AM

That clown Coldrick actually gave a yellow card for it, which defies logic, and then couple of seconds later Thompson committed a rugby tackle and he ignored it completely  >:(

Both black cards were legit, Brennans wasn't a penalty, thought Donegal had a shout for one when McCann ran into someone from behind. I also thought Kavanagh should've had a black for his tackle just before half time. Murphy treads a very fine line, pretty soon some ref has to stand up to him. Thought both Harte's and Cavanaghs points were pure class, as was Murphys free from distance.

in this day and age Donnelly should've known what to expect, in my opinion he deliberately hit McHugh, had no intention of pulling out, and should've knew McHugh would've run on into him and milked it (though in fairness he actually didn't, he was injured)

on another matter what the hell is with this Donegal keeper???? He leapt about yesterday like he was shot, lay down curled up like he was crying for his mommy?? ffs its a contact sport, a mans game, grow a pair

Donnelly clearly looked for the contact. Clear black card. It was surprising because Peter Donnelly seems to have got Tyrone much more disciplined in their tackling.

Donnelly was a stone wall black card. McHugh had given the pass and taken 2/3 steps before ho got taken out. Stupid and he could easily have avoided him.

under the bar

QuoteExactly.Two teams with the same crap sterile style.Brutal to watch

Rich coming from an Armagh man most whose 'fans' won't even pay the entrance fee to watch the turgid spectacle McGeeney serves up.  Jump onto the Tyrone bandwagon Tony,  this team will be around for a while!!  ;)

Il Bomber Destro

He ran straight towards Donnelly and jumped into him. If you watch the incident again then you can see this quite clearly.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: dublin7 on July 18, 2016, 11:44:48 AM
Quote from: lenny on July 18, 2016, 11:42:21 AM

Donnelly was a stone wall black card. McHugh had given the pass and taken 2/3 steps before ho got taken out. Stupid and he could easily have avoided him.

Two to three steps and a jump into Donnelly. Should Donnelly have jumped out of the way?

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 18, 2016, 11:40:43 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2016, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 18, 2016, 11:35:06 AM
Donnelly definitely could have avoided contact lads. He took at least one extra step into McHugh. The hands went out to make it look as though it wasn't nasty - though he isn't that kinda player in fairness. More a letting him know he was there.

I still cant get my head around why a proper sin bin isn't in place for something like that.

I agree about the sin bin. A lad shouldn't be having to leave the play for the rest of the match. for an incident like that. Refs might be more inclined to be more consistent with the black card if it only incurred a 10min cooling off period for the player. After two black cards a ref doesn't want to give anymore in fear of destroying the game. The cop out yellow could then be avoided. As it stands the black card is not fit for purpose and is a controversial point in nearly every big game!

Why have we not introduced a sin bin?? Fear of copying rugby and doing it our way mentality??

It was brought in years ago (maybe early noughties) for the league in Hurling and Football and resulted in teams playing 12 v 13, 10 v 12 at times.

Cody, Harte, Boylan and a host of managers were against it and then it got dropped in favour of the player getting substituted or the black card as we now know it... the irony is that a sin bin would work really well in todays game and actually improve it from what I can see it would increase the space available and hopefully make things more open rather than the dross we witnessed yesterday.

I don't for the life of me know how Donegal are getting slated for their approach to the game yesterday when Tyrone's was every bit as reprehensible!

Ethan Tremblay

Thought the ref was inconsistent with the black cards but Donnellys was deserved. 

The most frustrating thing was Donegal style, they kept trying to draw the Tyrone players out and at one stage at the 60min mark they had the ball at the 21 and it was again returned to the halfway line but then Tyrone's zonal marking and counter attacking style led to this.  It would have been some game if they went man to man, shackles off attacking football, not to be tho!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Olly

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 18, 2016, 12:01:08 PM
Thought the ref was inconsistent with the black cards but Donnellys was deserved. 

The most frustrating thing was Donegal style, they kept trying to draw the Tyrone players

like their French women
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Esmarelda

The sin bin was the way to go in my opinion, I don't understand why they strayed from something that has worked well elsewhere.

I can't make sense of those comments that say Donnelly tried to make contact. Donnelly approached a man in possession of the ball to tackle him. Can someone explain how, exactly, he could have avoided contact? If he jumped to one side (if possible at the speed he was going) then McHugh may have tried to go around him on that side and it would have looked like an intentional foul.

McHugh is the one that knew he was going to release the ball and was therefore in control of avoiding a collision. He decided not to, probably to win the free and probably to get his opponent black carded.

westbound

Quote from: screenexile on July 18, 2016, 11:55:31 AM
Donnelly definitely could have avoided contact lads. He took at least one extra step into McHugh. The hands went out to make it look as though it wasn't nasty - though he isn't that kinda player in fairness. More a letting him know he was there.

I still cant get my head around why a proper sin bin isn't in place for something like that.

I agree about the sin bin. A lad shouldn't be having to leave the play for the rest of the match. for an incident like that. Refs might be more inclined to be more consistent with the black card if it only incurred a 10min cooling off period for the player. After two black cards a ref doesn't want to give anymore in fear of destroying the game. The cop out yellow could then be avoided. As it stands the black card is not fit for purpose and is a controversial point in nearly every big game!

Why have we not introduced a sin bin?? Fear of copying rugby and doing it our way mentality??

It was brought in years ago (maybe early noughties) for the league in Hurling and Football and resulted in teams playing 12 v 13, 10 v 12 at times.

Cody, Harte, Boylan and a host of managers were against it and then it got dropped in favour of the player getting substituted or the black card as we now know it... the irony is that a sin bin would work really well in todays game and actually improve it from what I can see it would increase the space available and hopefully make things more open rather than the dross we witnessed yesterday.

I don't for the life of me know how Donegal are getting slated for their approach to the game yesterday when Tyrone's was every bit as reprehensible!

The other reason why the sin bin was not brought in at the time the black card as introduced was that it would be next or near impossible to implement in a club match where there is only the one referee.

For example,

Player A sin binned on 15 mins.
Player B sin binned on 19 mins
Player A due back on pitch on 25 mins
Player C sin binned on 27 mins
Player B due back on pitch on 29 mins
Player c due back on pitch 7 mins into the second half

Every club match would require a second official to police the sin binned players!

So HQ felt that it wasn't right to have a different set of rules for club and county.

lenny

Totally agree. When Donegal went 4 up after half time yesterday they actually lost the game from there through impatience. Tyrone were behind but still kept 14 players inside their own 45 metre line. Donegal kept the ball several times outside the 45 for about 2 to 3 minutes patiently probing while tyrone stood their ground. When Donegal eventually took a chance and went inside the 45 they were overturned. The mistake they made was not just continuing to keep possession outside the 45 because Tyrone seem to be so programmed to keep their positions. I honestly think Donegal couldve kept the ball outside the tyrone  for about 10-15 minutes with hardly a tackle on them and they could've run down the clock. It would've been brutal to watch but not much more brutal than what was already on show. Donegal of course set up in exactly the same fashion at the other end. Another thing I felt was significant yesterday was the breeze. Ryan mchugh was able to effortlessly kick 3 long range points first half but in the second Donegal had to try to work the ball inside the 45 which they struggled to do. The team who play with the breeze in the second half get a big advantage as they ususally get 40 to 42 minutes with the breeze while the first half team get 36 or 37 minutes. That was significant yesterday with the long range points in injury time for Tyrone.

BennyHarp

Tyrone went and won the game when the chance came. Donegal were a point or two up and  sat on the 45m line and played left and right and backwards apparently trying to run down the clock without attempting to break down the Tyrone defence. The onus is on the attacking team to break down the defence, Donegal didn't even appear to try in the second half. For me they were defending their lead which cost them the game. I felt Tyrone at least tried to attack in numbers when in possession, which it admittedly hard in the circumstances of a game like that. But obviously with Derry glasses on it will look different than with Tyrone ones on.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2016, 12:22:39 PM

Tyrone went and won the game when the chance came. Donegal were a point or two up and  sat on the 45m line and played left and right and backwards apparently trying to run down the clock without attempting to break down the Tyrone defence. The onus is on the attacking team to break down the defence, Donegal didn't even appear to try in the second half. For me they were defending their lead which cost them the game. I felt Tyrone at least tried to attack in numbers when in possession, which it admittedly hard in the circumstances of a game like that. But obviously with Derry glasses on it will look different than with Tyrone ones on.

Tyrone had 14 men behind the ball for the majority of the game... yes they attack with pace when the Donegal play breaks down (or as we say now they attack the transition) but that doesn't stray from the fact that the majority of the game they sat with 14 players behind the ball.

The craic will be when they do this against Dublin/Kerry should they come up against them. Derry did it a few years ago and got slated for it but it'll be back to the old "they only pick on Tyrone" adage when the Southern Media rightly slate Tyrone for it!

longballin

Quote from: screenexile on July 18, 2016, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2016, 12:22:39 PM

Tyrone had 14 men behind the ball for the majority of the game... yes they attack with pace when the Donegal play breaks down (or as we say now they attack the transition) but that doesn't stray from the fact that the majority of the game they sat with 14 players behind the ball.

The craic will be when they do this against Dublin/Kerry should they come up against them. Derry did it a few years ago and got slated for it but it'll be back to the old "they only pick on Tyrone" adage when the Southern Media rightly slate Tyrone for it!

Derry was a damaged limitation exercise against Dublin whereas Tyrone would use it to try and win...

WT4E

For me Tyrone deserved the victory - Both teams retreated when not in possession but Tyrone showed some great direct attacking play when in possession whereas Donegal bored themselves to tears with sideways passing.

On another note did anyone else get caught in the crowd after the game behind the O'Duffy terrace - disgraceful that the Garda let that situation arise which could have been alot alot worse for them had someone collapsed in the squeeze and heat!