Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Armagh won 6 Ulster titles in their peak years,1999 to 2006,Tyrone couldn't handle the intensity in Ulster,as evidenced by their defeats in early rounds to Donegal (04),Derry (06),Down (08),not to mention their catostrophic failure to hold on to commanding leads against Armagh in the final and replay in 2005.

They will wilt again in the White Heat of Clones tomorrow

sensethetone

Quote from: T Fearon on July 16, 2016, 07:46:19 AM
Armagh won 6 Ulster titles in their peak years,1999 to 2006,Tyrone couldn't handle the intensity in Ulster,as evidenced by their defeats in early rounds to Donegal (04),Derry (06),Down (08),not to mention their catostrophic failure to hold on to commanding leads against Armagh in the final and replay in 2005.

It is unfortunate we only won 1 less Ulster title in our glory years.

T Fearon

Remarkable all the same,Armagh only lost twice in 8 Ulster championship (when it really was a tough province to get out of) campaigns from 1999 to 2006.Tyrone's flakiness was exposed in Ulster,and two fluke All Ireland wins via the backdoor cannot gloss over this

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Interesting theory. Could Armagh not cope with the intensity of the All Ireland series? Ultimately irrelevant to this year's Ulster Final anyway, just like Armagh.

sensethetone

Quote from: T Fearon on July 16, 2016, 08:17:19 AM
Remarkable all the same,Armagh only lost twice in 8 Ulster championship (when it really was a tough province to get out of) campaigns from 1999 to 2006.Tyrone's flakiness was exposed in Ulster,and two fluke All Ireland wins via the backdoor cannot gloss over this
It's Armagh's fault we were put in position where we had to go on and win those two flukey AI's. Armagh could  have beat us 05 semi final but bottled it, Armagh failed to beat Wexford 08 what were we to do?

BennyHarp

😂 You really are scraping the barrel here Tony. In THE most intensive game of all, 2005 AI semi, it was Armagh that blinked first. When push came to shove your manager shit his pants and your players wilted. No game in Ulster has ever matched the intensity of that day and your lot just came up short.

With regards to tomorrow. I think I'll stick my neck out and say that this is the most important game Tyrone have played since the 2008 final. The two semi finals in 2013 and last year always felt like stepping stones, part of a rebuilding process and we could comfort ourselves with the thought that improvements were being made and we were working towards something again. The U21 win added to that sense. If we lose tomorrow there will be a sense that nothing really has changed, we are once again dumped out by Donegal, a team who are good but a team who we now should be beating, like Mayo and Monaghan did last year. This isn't a great Donegal team but they are a great measure of where you stand. You need to display qualities of heart, desire and will to win to get over the line against them which ultimately tell a lot about a teams potential. I personally think we have a team to win an all Ireland, I'm happy with the building blocks put in place over the past few years leading to this tomorrow but there still is a niggling doubt about our ability to do it when the real, real pressure is on. Tomorrow will answer those questions. Tyrone by 5.
That was never a square ball!!

Gaffer

Lmao!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Mayoffs

Really looking forward to this one, so many what if's, how, who........

Talking to the Donegal fellas at work, they are more hopeful than confident. We all agree Tyrone look like a team that are improving with each game and they're pace might be too much for Donegal in the end. But then again Donegal might succeed in slowing and disrupting enough to frustrate Tyrone, with experience on their side they could out-wit them. Are Tyrone far enough along development wise ? I think so.
My feeling is that Tyrone will have too much for Donegal with them using the sweeper system well and running at Donegal on the break, Tyrone by 5 for me.
Will be close for the first 50 mins or so I think.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

T Fearon

How can this Tyrone team,after conceding five goals in two games against Cavan be considered to be in contention against Donegal? They have not met a first division team since last year and showed they have no bottle during the latter stages of the first game against Cavan,conceding easy goals and missing easy frees at the death.

Donegal by at least three, or more if they throw of the shackles and let big Murphy into the square where he should have a field day

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on July 16, 2016, 12:07:22 PM
How can this Tyrone team,after conceding five goals in two games against Cavan be considered to be in contention against Donegal? They have not met a first division team since last year and showed they have no bottle during the latter stages of the first game against Cavan,conceding easy goals and missing easy frees at the death.

Donegal by at least three, or more if they throw of the shackles and let big Murphy into the square where he should have a field day

Remortgage the house and put it on Donegal then Tony but beware, your analysis of form regarding Tyrone having not beaten a div 1 team. Donegal only beat Down (beaten by Longford - div 3 team) Mayo (beaten by Galway - div 2 team) and Cork (beaten by Tipp - div 3 team). How did these div 1 teams lose to lower division teams in the championship? Donegal lost to the better div 1 teams. Good luck with the bet!
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

Quote from: rrhf on July 16, 2016, 05:30:24 AM
Donegal can talk big all they want, but in Gaelic Football theres a stage where the old guys get caught out and on first glance that could be tomorrow.  However the carrot is a real opportunity for the winner is to have a chance to get to an all ireland final so the ageing stock will have added motivation. If they werent good enough to win the last 2 ulsters I wonder what has changed to make them so confident now.  Perhaps they think they see a team they can bully out the gate. Perhaps they can.  Tomorrow we will learn more about Tyrone than Donegal regardless of the result.  The stakes couldnt be higher.  Roll on the sun.  Draw!
Donegal were good enough to win the Ulster title in 2014 and going by your own criteria for a team earning the right to be confident, Donegal can at least be half confident.

Anyway, may the best rascal win on Sunday, It might even be an exciting close game seeing as both teams have come into good form reaching  their traditional standards and will both be well prepared.

GJL

Quote from: T Fearon on July 16, 2016, 07:46:19 AM

Willy Frazer of the GAA board.

StGallsGAA

Even Willie Frazer would manage to book the CityWest for the correct weekend for the AI final!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Keep 'er lit Tony, I'll be reminding you of your peerless wisdom this time tomorrow :D ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SouthDublinBro

1 All Ireland win is worth 50 Ulster titles.