U/21 All Ireland Football Final Leix v Rebels

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 02, 2007, 01:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Dempsey hoping for another success story (Leinster Express)

Having already won an All Ireland minor title four years ago Sean Dempsey will be hoping to add even more to his glowing managerial CV this weekend. Now in his third year as manager of the Laois U-21s he has the chance to end 43 years of disappointment for Laois since this competition began back in 1964.
Steven Miller reports
"People forget it was 1986 when Laois last won a national title at senior level," said Dempsey at last week's press night ahead of the All Ireland final. "If we want to be at the table with the big boys, we want to be pushing for national honours at some level every year.
"That (league win) was a great occasion. I had two brothers on that team and around Laois it was just unbelievable. Ten years later we won a minor All Ireland so the league win in '86 had a direct influence on the players on that minor team. Seven years after '96 we had another minor All Ireland. So those lads were influenced as well.
"So if we could win another national title now, the next generation of young lads are going to be influenced and we should start trying to put Leinster senior titles and national titles closer together. We shouldn't have to wait from 1964 to '98 to get to a second All Ireland U-21 final."
All that being for the long term, Dempsey, for the time being anyway, is just focussed on what's in front of him this weekend. While he'll admit freely that Laois winning this U-21 title would be great for football in general in the county, his sole focus at the moment is winning the competition outright as it's there, as a stand-alone competition, to be won.
"We used the fact that we didn't get past the semi-final last year as a motivating factor for the semi-final. We don't need motivation for a final. Laois haven't won one before and obviously these players haven't won one before so if you get an opportunity you may take it because you never know what might be around the corner next year. You could get injured, some lads might have emigrated. The opportunity is there now so we have to take it."
While managing any team is a challenge in its own right this year Dempsey has taken on a riskier approach. In attempting to time his side's run through the championship, he left himself open to the possibility of being caught out. He believed in their ability though and at this stage of the championship, his foresight has paid off.
"I say a little prayer every time we go out," he says of that tactic. "We ran it close a couple of times but right now we're where we want to be. This is what it's all about. There's no point sitting at home looking at it on the television like we did last year wishing we were there. Now that we are there why should we be afraid of it.
"We have to work ourselves into the ground and play as well as we can and I think if Cork come out with the form that they can show it us going to take a bigger performance from us to win."
The criticism of his side en route to this final is something that doesn't bother him but his claim after the Westmeath game that talk of his side being too small was "bullshit" is something he'll back up.
"Being too small on its own is not good enough but being too small and having the heart that some of our lads have is good enough. You are always better off with a small player who will push himself than a big lad who won't push himself.
"We have five of the six backs who are very physically strong. The odd one out is Niall Donoher and who's going to question his ability? Our two midfielders are big men and we have mobility, accuracy and a target man up front and we have a couple of lads coming off the line that have both strength and good athletiscism. I think you cut your cloth to measure and work rate is the thing that makes the difference. We're happy with them."
The fact that they haven't played particularly well over the course of the campaign hasn't unduly bothered him either, nor the fact that the performances haven't pleased the Laois supporters.
"Well people in general are hard to please when it comes to football," he says, "whether they're from Laois or wherever." The thing is we won an All Ireland in 2003 playing fantastic football and people who don't go to matches often always go expecting to see that performance again but that's being unfair on players because when you're playing at a high level you're up there to be knocked down.
"We carried the tag of being favourites through four matches to win a Leinster final and not too many Laois teams in the past have done that. We carried the tag of underdogs into the semi-final against Mayo, last year's champions, and we won as well so we're not overly worried about what people are saying about us because what happens in the dressing room is what's going to count."
What has pleased him over the course of the campaign is his side's refusal to panic in the face of adversity.
"I think when games were tight and tough we kept our heads. We never panicked once this year and we could have panicked this year in Wicklow, we could have panicked here against Louth and we had an exceptional score from Michael Tierney that day against Louth which was coolness personified.
"We came in here to play Offaly and when we needed the point for an insurance score, a16-year-old (Donie Kingston) came off the bench and looked like he was out there for the last 25 years. We have confidence in ourselves and a final can be a different day if you allow the occasion get to you but it's a game of football, that's all it is."
For Dempsey, this year has been busier than any other, his dual mandate with the seniors meaning he's out almost every night of the week with a Laois team.
"I thought if I was going to get my own way with the U-21s I'd have to do it from the inside to avoid what happened last year," he says of his double-jobbing affair.
"It hasn't been tough; it's enjoyable and I'm doing what I like doing. We were training with the seniors last night and they're all wishing us well but they're Laois men and they're fully behind us and they know if we can win an All Ireland and add a few players to the senior panel it would help us push on at senior level.
"But getting over the mental barrier of never having won an U-21 is probably the most important thing.
"I know I'm focussed on U-21 and the players are as well but if we were playing in an All Ireland senior final tomorrow you wouldn't get a ticket. The reality of it is is that Thurles will be a little bit of a ghost town next Saturday evening so that shows the difference in it."
Even if there was nobody there, you reckon it wouldn't bother Dempsey, his selectors and his players should they win.
After two successive Leinster titles, an All Ireland would wrap it all up nicely.
No better time to peak.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jinxy

Laois have the reputation at all age groups of being  "small" but skillful teams. Doesn't make them any less effective at underage level, but I think it will stop them from winning a senior All Ireland.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

darbyo

I tipped Cork from the start and having been at both semis I can't see the Cork lads being beaten. They are a big strong team with a good spine and plenty of good scoring forwards, should be a real good game. Though I'm not from either county I'll be going and can't wait.

AZOffaly

Well done to both teams on a good close game, and congrats to Cork on their 1 point win. Well done to Laois too, I must admit they came closer than I thought they would. I'd have seen them as skillful but very small in the forwards, and I thought Cork's power would demolish them. As it turned out, it needed a scrappy goal when 3 points down to really turn the game Cork's way.

By the way, what was that Cork #11 like? Headbutting, feigning injury etc etc. A right bucko I'd say.

Jinxy

That Cork 11 was a tr**p the way he went rolling around holding his face near the end. After seeing that I really wanted Laois to get an equaliser. That said I thought Donie Brennan was given a fair few soft free's, basically every time he touched the ball. Laois were the better footballers overall I thought but Cork were big and pacy and the goals kept them in it. I'd say the Laois lads will be disgusted with the second goal because without that Cork were dead and buried. Enjoyable game though, well done to both teams.

AZOffaly

True Jinxy. i was hoping one of the Laois lads would bury him when I saw that. Agree re. Donie Brennan and the frees, but i think that's the small man syndrome in the Ref's eyes. Everything looks like a foul when you are tackling someone the size of a subbuteo player.

Jinxy

Donies new floppy hairstyle helps too! Makes him look like he's been thrown all over the place when he gets tackled. I felt a bit sorry for the Cork corner back actually. After the 3rd free in a row, you could almost see him thinking "What the f*ck am I supposed to do with this fella?"

Cloc Mor

All that talk a few years back about the great Craig Rogers - he hasn't really realised his potential.  Perhaps some of you have seen more of him than me.

The Real Laoislad

Just back from Thurles and im totally gutted,really think Laois left it behind them.Was a awful poxy goal Cork got to draw level at the end
Anyways the future is bright and well done to Cork it was a great game
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jinxy

Something occurred to me watching this game. All the scoreable free's were being kicked from the ground. I can't be sure but I think the Mayo free taker in the semi took them off the ground too and I didn't see Armagh so maybe someone else would know if the freetaker kicked off the ground. To my eyes, at minor and u-21 level a far higher % of scoreable free's are taken off the ground. So why is it that all the major powers at senior level have freetakers that take them directly from the hand? And I don't want to hear any of that increased likelihood of groin injury guff. Brian Stafford never had any groin injuries!

Bud Wiser

From where I was watching, four feet from the telly, it seemed we did everything right but one.  We kicked frees off the ground over the bar like it should be done, we ran at their backs, on two occasions the ball went directly from the goalkeeper right to the other end and over the bar. However, as far as tackling is concerned, and before anyone disputes this look at a replay of the game, we simply have not done the business.  A half hearted throw out of an arm and luckily the odd interception and that was it, no keeping goal side of the attacker forcing him wide, not one single block and on several occasions an unwillingness to persist in the tackle other than to make an effort that was never going to have effect.  On one occasion one of our backs hit a Cork player with a perfect shoulder when he was running with the ball, stopped him in his tracks, then stood off to allow him regain composure and I had more chance of putting him off scoring with me waving the poker at the TV.

Donie Brennan diving??  For the love and honour of Jaysus will ye stop, at one stage there were three players on his back and there are a lot of ye waiting in the long grass for to paint this picture.  Is Donie not supposed to get a free at all - because he is small???  Cop on for jesus sake.  If I had a complaint about Donie it would be for him trying to pick off points from bad angles when he should be passing the ball.  In his favour of course with regard to taking a pot shot it is better to do this and even miss that be unsporting and take the dive that ye all seem to see.  Now it has even got to the stage where his haircut is the reason he gets frees, I mean did you ever, ever hear such shite.

Jinxy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 05, 2007, 11:39:25 PM
From where I was watching, four feet from the telly, it seemed we did everything right but one.  We kicked frees off the ground over the bar like it should be done, we ran at their backs, on two occasions the ball went directly from the goalkeeper right to the other end and over the bar. However, as far as tackling is concerned, and before anyone disputes this look at a replay of the game, we simply have not done the business.  A half hearted throw out of an arm and luckily the odd interception and that was it, no keeping goal side of the attacker forcing him wide, not one single block and on several occasions an unwillingness to persist in the tackle other than to make an effort that was never going to have effect.  On one occasion one of our backs hit a Cork player with a perfect shoulder when he was running with the ball, stopped him in his tracks, then stood off to allow him regain composure and I had more chance of putting him off scoring with me waving the poker at the TV.

Donie Brennan diving??  For the love and honour of Jaysus will ye stop, at one stage there were three players on his back and there are a lot of ye waiting in the long grass for to paint this picture.  Is Donie not supposed to get a free at all - because he is small???  Cop on for jesus sake.  If I had a complaint about Donie it would be for him trying to pick off points from bad angles when he should be passing the ball.  In his favour of course with regard to taking a pot shot it is better to do this and even miss that be unsporting and take the dive that ye all seem to see.  Now it has even got to the stage where his haircut is the reason he gets frees, I mean did you ever, ever hear such shite.

It's not for nothing he let it grow! Very cynical if you ask me.

laoisgaa

How in God's name did we manage to lose that game I'll never know. Fair play to Cork though - a draw would have been the ideal scoreline for both teams near the end but it just wasn't to be. If anything last nights game of football shows that their is no need to abolish this grade of championship - that was easily Laois's best game of football all year and they still lost.

Both the U21 Football and hurling championships produce better fare in my opinion that the Minor championships. Any opinions on that?

Cadbury's All-Ireland Under 21 Football Championship Final

Cork 2-10
Laois 0-15
By Cóilín Duffy
At Semple Stadium

An injury-time Daniel Goulding pointed free ensured Cork took the Cadbury's All-Ireland Under 21 Football Championship title for the first time since 1994 following a pulsating game of football at Semple Stadium, Thurles last night.

The sides were level on nine occasions during this game and it took that late Goulding point to seal victory.

Laois rued their 15 wides in this game including a late chance from 16 year-old Donie Kingston to help put them into the lead in injury-time.

Both sides had needed replays to separate them at Minor level three years ago and in the Under 21 championship last year and in the opening half of this game, it looked like another close affair was on the cards with the sides level on five occasions in the opening 24 minutes.

Early nerves were certainly evident in the opening stages of this game with Cork kicking two chances for scores wide of the target while their Midland counterparts had one chance of a score within the opening four minutes.

Remarkably Cork were not to kick wide of the target for the remainder of the half as clinical finishing helped to reap huge dividends.

David Conway opened the scoring after six minutes for Laois and the brother of Senior star Chris; went on to score two further points over the remainder of the opening half with defenders John O'Loughlin and Niall Donoher along with MJ Tierney for the Midlanders.

Points from Colm O'Neill, Daniel Goulding (3) and Fiachra Lynch ensured the sides were level five points apiece, six minutes before the interval but Laois then hit a bright patch and pulled three points clear thanks to scores from David Conway and MJ Tierney (2) as injury-time approached.

However Cork had the final say before the interval with a well taken goal from Daniel Goulding to ensure the top scorer for the championship helped his side draw parity by the interval at 1-5 to 0-8.

Laois scored the first point of the second half from MJ Tierney but Daniel Goulding points from a 45 and a free ensured Cork were back in front.

Goulding could have so easily been Cork's villain as he kicked two scorable chances wide in the second half and as Laois came good once more they held a 0-14 to 1-9 lead with six minutes remaining thanks to points from Craig Rogers, Cadbury's Hero of the Match MJ Tierney (3) and Donie Brennan.

A late Cork goal from Colm O'Neill ensured the sides were level once more but it was Goulding's late kick which helped steal victory at the death.

Scorers:

CORK – Daniel Goulding (4f) (1 45) 1-6; Colm O'Neill 1-1; Fiachra Lynch, Stephen O'Donoghue, Paul Kerrigan 0-1 each.

LAOIS – Michael John Tierney (5f) 0-7; David Conway 0-3; Craig Rogers, Donal Brennan, Niall Donoher, Cathal Óg Greene, John O'Loughlin 0-1 each.

CORK: Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown); Ray Carey (Clyde Rovers), Michael Shields (St. Finbarr's), Kevin Harrington (Bantry Blues); Stephen O'Donoghue (Ballincollig), David Limerick (Castlehaven), Eoin Cadogan (Douglas); Fintan Gould (Macroom), Andrew O'Sullivan (capt) (Castletownbere); Fiachra Lynch (Valley Rovers), Carthach Keane (Newcestown), Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers); Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough), Daniel Goulding (Éire Óg), Seán Cahalane (Castlehaven). Subs: Roy Leahy (St. Finbar's) for Cahalane (41); Shane McCarthy (Douglas) for Lynch (56); Gearóid O'Shea (Nemo Rangers) for Keane (56).

LAOIS: Colm Munnelly (Arles/Kilcruise); Cahir Healy (capt) (Portlaoise), Mark Timmons (Graiguecullen), Brian Meredith (O'Dempsey's); Stephen Lawlor (Stradbally), John O'Loughlin (Mountmellick), Niall Donoher (Courtwood); Brendan Quigley (Timahoe), Cathal Óg Greene (Park/Ratheniska); Donie Brennan (Arles/Killeen), Craig Rogers (Portlaoise), Stephen O'Leary (O'Dempsey's); Michael John Tierney (Ballyroan), Shane O'Neill (Graiguecullen), David Conway (Arles/Kilcruise). Subs: Donie Kingston (Barrowhouse) for O'Neill (38); Ian Fleming (Graiguecullen) for O'Leary (44)

REFEREE: Vincent Neary (Mayo)

Bud Wiser

Well I have heard it all now, a player can grow his hair to get frees!

Maybe Peter McKenna will find use for the extended dugouts that were supposed to be for the intended sin bins by putting barbers chairs in them and if you fail the hair style test you must sit in there and get what Meath are used to getting in the championship in recent years - a trimming.

Yesterday a Cork player headbutted a Laois player in the face and I will be the first to admit that it was more of a gesture than an action that caused serious damage.  However, I have read time after time on this board about the example set for younger lads and absolutely nothing was done about this knackerism.  I found the Cork players conduct during the presentation in front of the President of the GAA to be disgraceful.

Refs need to keep up with the changes required and should be equiped with all modern accessories:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15761&inm=1&N=114049+114067+2032

Jinxy

The hairdressers are going to be swamped with tricky corner forwards asking for "a Donie" for the club championships. I'd wager it will take over from the "Rachel" which was all the rage a few years back after yer wan from Friends.