Tour de France 2016

Started by bennydorano, July 02, 2016, 11:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

That sounds absolutely unreal. What was the elevation?

bennydorano

Saw ur data on Strava, great effort. Something like that in baking summer heat really doesn't interest me. I'd love to do something like Tiede in Feb or March time.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on July 18, 2016, 10:37:42 AM
Saw ur data on Strava, great effort. Something like that in baking summer heat really doesn't interest me. I'd love to do something like Tiede in Feb or March time.

Has a little reminder about the difference in heat yesterday. Had a wee charity event for the BHF yesterday, only 30 miles around warwickshires leafy lanes. Really nice little course. Was 27c though and went through 2 litres of water during it but was still totally dehydrated after it.

Illdecide - that is some going. Well done fella.

illdecide

Thanks lads...actually the heat was okay tbh. Think it was about 19-20 degrees which was bearable, the 3 days previous was just rain but the descents were cool u had to wear an extra layer doing them. The descents were unreal and really were something else weaving in and out of the chicanes at high speeds for over 10k...unreal.

Effort wise it was tough but we did stop quite a lot for coffee breaks and food so that helped, on the 160k run there was a 15k climb at the end which almost cracked me as halfway up the legs started to go and had the bubbly stomach too but got a gel into me and got the last burst home. To climb 30,000 feet in 4 days was amazing.

Would def do something like that again and we have already discussed the Pyrenees mountains for next year but i reckon Jim Stynes will want a new room mate (don't think he was too happy with me :D)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: haranguerer on July 18, 2016, 10:34:53 AM
That sounds absolutely unreal. What was the elevation?

They tend to range from 6% to about 10% but for instance the Col de la Colombiere we done on Friday averaged 8% for 17k. The climbs are no where as steep as what we have here they are just relentless and just go on and on.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

haranguerer

I don't mind the climbs where you've a summit to aim at, its the drags that kill me. Fair play - I'll have to get the details sometime

JimStynes

Some going by illdecide especially as he has only really properly been cycling about a year but we are going to have to listen to him now ffs and yes he was a disaster of a room mate. Some craic with the lads though and Morzine is a cracking location. There are HC climbs a few KMs away in all directions whereas other places in the alps need a little bit more of a cycle to get to each climb. Even though the more famous climbs are further down the alps I definitely prefer Morzine. We were unlucky and lucky with the weather - unlucky that it rained the first 2 days and lucky that it wasn't too hot. I was in the Alps last year in 43 degrees heat. Unbearable at the best of times never mind on a bike. Not a lot going on nightlife wise but it was good craic with the lads anyway and you don't want to be drinking on that sort of holiday anyway as the lads found out on the second day! I need to get my knee sorted if we are going to hit the Pyrennes next year!

screenexile

It's all starting to look a bit familiar . . .

Quote@bendirs1 Looks of utter disbelief as Froome passed the finishing line in that time trial.

bennydorano

I don't think that tweet has the tone you think it has.  I doubt anybody who follows cycling would be surprised at the result today tbh,).  Froome is the best cyclist of this era, wholeheartedly supported by a team with the biggest budget & best support team.

I have been secretly hoping that Quintana has been doing a bit of roping tbh,  he really only needs one big day in the mountains, today's stage further shows he's off form tho. (Or not getting as much EPO into him as last year).

JimStynes

Dull tour overall! That descent in Morzine is hairy enough in that rain!!!

JimStynes

And just over 4 hours for that stage haha ridiculous

bennydorano

Struggling to remember a recent Tour that's been moderately entertaining.

Ah well, La Vuelta is only 5/6 weeks away, never as dull. Should be a few big names, Quintana most likely after his poor Tour (Aru prob in same boat), Contador presumably and I'd imagine Froome might have a go as well, he's done very little actual racing this season so far, though Thomas has quite possibly been promised the N1 slot. Come to think of it the Olympics might have a say in who goes.

JimStynes

Only bit of drama really was Froome taking off up the climb on foot! Some going from Froome and Sky again all the same.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on July 21, 2016, 05:57:28 PM
I don't think that tweet has the tone you think it has.  I doubt anybody who follows cycling would be surprised at the result today tbh,).  Froome is the best cyclist of this era, wholeheartedly supported by a team with the biggest budget & best support team.

I have been secretly hoping that Quintana has been doing a bit of roping tbh,  he really only needs one big day in the mountains, today's stage further shows he's off form tho. (Or not getting as much EPO into him as last year).

You have a pop at me for questioning Froomes transformation from grupetto rider to multiple grand tour winner and then I check in here to see that you have called out Quintana for using EPO. What curious logic, and no I'm not saying Quintana is clean but he has a hell of a better pedigree than Froome has. At Quintanas age Froome had done nothing of note, and had to rely on a team mate falling ill to make the Vuelta line up. Only for that mutant transformation he would have been facing the prospect of no contract the following year.