Author Topic: You're All British in the North Now!!  (Read 2897 times)

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
Re: You're All British in the North Now!!
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »
Fair 'nuff. My point is that trying to legislate on how to accommodate such aspiration or obligation in the spirit of the GFA throws up potential issues concerning international diplomacy and citizenship beyond Irish-British relations, with the 19th Amendment being an example. At best, successive British governments may have felt that amendments to nationality legislation within the UK wasn't needed to meet the aims mentioned in the GFA. At worst, they were being deliberately or even mendaciously neglegent. Given current political shenanigans in Westminster, it would take a brave MP to try and introduce such measures to remedy this at this time, as I can't see the current government and home secretary doing so.

I think we are broadly in agreement then. Although I welcome Simon Conveys comments about raising the issue with the UK

Speaking solely for myself, it's sad that it's somehow refreshing to have a civil, open & informative discussion on an issue like this where the technical and broader issues are also looked upon.
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »
just for clarity, people on here seem to think the GFA stops at saying we can idientofy as British, Irish or both so here is the actual wording

recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to
identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they
may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both
British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would
not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

So, not only can you identify as Irish you are also entitled to Irish citizenship.

Is that not contrary to the De Souza outcomes yesterday?
It is puzzling that people thought the GFA changed anything re a NI person's birthright to be a dual citizen. This matter was discussed ad nauseum in the FIFA eligibility thread.
De Souza did not have even have a just legal basis for a challenge. The GFA did not change British or irish nationality law.

It is the Irish constitution (not British nationality law)  which gives most everybody born on the Island the automatic right to Irish  citizenship. It is the British nationality law which endows most everybody born in the 6 counties the right to be a british citizen. It is a legal babtism of British nationality. As long as a NI born resides in the UK,  that person resides as a British citizen by default unless the person resigns their Brit citizenship.  The GFA never attempted to change that basic legal concept of British nationality. I have commented many times that Nordie nationalist are British nationals  by default  and need to rinse themselves of that stain by following a due process. The GFA did not do that rinsing.

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
just for clarity, people on here seem to think the GFA stops at saying we can idientofy as British, Irish or both so here is the actual wording

recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to
identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they
may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both
British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would
not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

So, not only can you identify as Irish you are also entitled to Irish citizenship.

Is that not contrary to the De Souza outcomes yesterday?
It is puzzling that people thought the GFA changed anything re a NI person's birthright to be a dual citizen. This matter was discussed ad nauseum in the FIFA eligibility thread.
De Souza did not have even have a just legal basis for a challenge. The GFA did not change British or irish nationality law.

It is the Irish constitution (not British nationality law)  which gives most everybody born on the Island the automatic right to Irish  citizenship. It is the British nationality law which endows most everybody born in the 6 counties the right to be a british citizen. It is a legal babtism of British nationality. As long as a NI born resides in the UK,  that person resides as a British citizen by default unless the person resigns their Brit citizenship.  The GFA never attempted to change that basic legal concept of British nationality. I have commented many times that Nordie nationalist are British nationals  by default  and need to rinse themselves of that stain by following a due process. The GFA did not do that rinsing.

Indeed but it still begs the question what was the intention of it?  It was clearly intended to do something but what that is Iíve no idea.