Author Topic: Computer Help  (Read 189179 times)

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
Re: Computer Help
« Reply #1470 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »
Ok lads, maybe someone alot more informed with technology can help me here.

I have a PC with a DVI-I (Dual Link) output, so it's relatively new.

What other slots you have in the graphics card? (Or is it onboard graphics and that is it?)

DVI isn't new, its quite old now. HDMI and display port are the main two now.

I've a broken monitor in the middle of this mess so I'm limited in my options, in my wisdom I did not know the output at some point changed so my only other monitor has a VGA input (the wee screws to the side and tighten job). It's a flat screen but it's fairly old I suppose.

My options seem to be...

Do you still have a VGA cable? In which case just get one of these:

Plug that into the back of your PC, plug your cable between that and the monitor.

That'd be the usual way its done.

Since your monitor is old, I'm assuming its not bigger than 1920x1200 resolution? In which case you don't need the dual link.

3) Buy a new Monitor online from Curries (assuming all new modern monitors will have the appropriate cable to connect to DVI-D by default ?)

You need to be very careful about that. Many cheaper monitors will now be HDMI and Displayport only.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »
Ok lads, maybe someone alot more informed with technology can help me here.

I have a PC with a DVI-I (Dual Link) output, so it's relatively new.

What other slots you have in the graphics card? (Or is it onboard graphics and that is it?)

DVI isn't new, its quite old now. HDMI and display port are the main two now.

I've a broken monitor in the middle of this mess so I'm limited in my options, in my wisdom I did not know the output at some point changed so my only other monitor has a VGA input (the wee screws to the side and tighten job). It's a flat screen but it's fairly old I suppose.

My options seem to be...

Do you still have a VGA cable? In which case just get one of these:

Plug that into the back of your PC, plug your cable between that and the monitor.

That'd be the usual way its done.

Since your monitor is old, I'm assuming its not bigger than 1920x1200 resolution? In which case you don't need the dual link so the single link cheaper adaptor would do.

3) Buy a new Monitor online from Curries (assuming all new modern monitors will have the appropriate cable to connect to DVI-D by default ?)

You need to be very careful about that. Many cheaper monitors will now be HDMI and Displayport only.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 02, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »
I have the HDMI port and then just the DVI-D (Dual Link) port sorry - I got that from the wiki pic here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#/media/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Yes I have a VGA cable on the old monitor - I've ordered something similar to what you recommended from Amazon, this to be precise - I take it that'll be me - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D3XZ9SD/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item_image

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 02, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »
Yeah, that should do the trick.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 02, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
Cheers thanks!