Mayo v Fermanagh, Saturday July 09, 2016 McHale Park

Started by From the Bunker, June 19, 2016, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fermanaghandsam

Feel gutted about that, Fermanagh may or may not have held on but to lose to that is awful.

O'Shea is simply a cheat and McQ made a shocking decision.

But lets be honest it will blow over, after all it was only wee Fermanagh and the GAA are delighted Mayo won. In a few weeks O'Shea will be hailed as superstar etc and McQ will be out as ref in a big game, that is the reality. The GAA will just stick its head in the sand, nothing to see here.

Only way to stop it is big bans after TV replays, but that is not going to happen. Two umpires standing next to it too, but as usual no input to decision.

muppet

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on July 09, 2016, 06:01:53 PM
Feel gutted about that, Fermanagh may or may not have held on but to lose to that is awful.

O'Shea is simply a cheat and McQ made a shocking decision.

But lets be honest it will blow over, after all it was only wee Fermanagh and the GAA are delighted Mayo won. In a few weeks O'Shea will be hailed as superstar etc and McQ will be out as ref in a big game, that is the reality. The GAA will just stick its head in the sand, nothing to see here.

Only way to stop it is big bans after TV replays, but that is not going to happen. Two umpires standing next to it too, but as usual no input to decision.

Sure the penalty was a dive, it shouldn't mask that Fermanagh only scored 2 points in the second half.
MWWSI 2017

Cunny Funt

I have seen some soft penalties in my time but none softer than that one today. How can a experienced ref like Joe McQuillan give that penalty and was the other officials blind folded? More questions than answers for Mayo after that win.

Fermanaghandsam

Agree, but we were one up with 6 to go still, so who knows. I am certainly not saying Fermanagh deserved to win and would have won.

We may or may not have held on, its the fact we lost to such obvious cheating that is the issue and it will be ignored by the GAA top brass. The fact it was wee Fermanagh makes it even easier for them to do that. It took them 10 mins on RTE for the pundits to even call it a dive FFS.

GalwayBayBoy

O'Shea actually dived for a free in the first half that was pointed so Mayo scored 1-1 directly from his dives today. Not to mention he probably should have seen the line midway through the second half. Now I know sometimes he doesn't get frees he may have deserved but not sure this type of carry on is going to be good for him or Mayo in the long term. Refs will surely be wary of being conned by him now.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 09, 2016, 06:18:08 PM
O'Shea actually dived for a free in the first half that was pointed so Mayo scored 1-1 directly from his dives today. Not to mention he probably should have seen the line midway through the second half. Now I know sometimes he doesn't get frees he may have deserved but not sure this type of carry on is going to be good for him or Mayo in the long term. Refs will surely be wary of being conned by him now.

I think McQuillan was probably reacting to the complete reverse commentary that we have had for the likes of O'Se and Michael Murphy last year.

MWWSI 2017

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo lads will hardly be complaining about O'Shea not getting frees after this?!

larryin89

And still no mention of Cillians clear cut penalty.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

tintin25

Quote from: larryin89 on July 09, 2016, 06:29:29 PM

Err, because it wasn't a penalty

Wildweasel74

Have we got GAA Version of that portugal man mountain Pepe lol

GalwayBayBoy

Actually didn't think that was a penalty myself. One of those debatable ones. Definitely wouldn't say clear cut anyway.

Jinxy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 09, 2016, 06:28:23 PM
Mayo lads will hardly be complaining about O'Shea not getting frees after this?!

Underestimate them at your peril.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 09, 2016, 06:33:04 PM

Actually didn't think that was a penalty myself. One of those debatable ones. Definitely wouldn't say clear cut anyway.

I thought the defender panicked when he fumbled the ball to O'Connor and wrapped his arms around his waist, grabbing him. Probably a peno but when play continued O'Connor then went to ground again. 2nd one definitely wasn't a pen, but this must have started playing on McQuillan's mind.
MWWSI 2017

SkillfulBill

Cillians not clear cut but the dive was. I suspect Mayo supporters will rue this when they get to Croke Park they may hope Joe and O'Rourke arn't asked to comment on it.

muppet

Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 09, 2016, 06:39:59 PM

Cillians not clear cut but the dive was. I suspect Mayo supporters will rue this when they get to Croke Park they may hope Joe and O'Rourke arn't asked to comment on it.

I'd say Mayo supporters won't sleep a wink for the rest of the summer worrying about what Joe Brolly has to say about things.
MWWSI 2017