Mayo v Fermanagh, Saturday July 09, 2016 McHale Park

Started by From the Bunker, June 19, 2016, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Can someone list all of the natural scoring forwards in Ireland for me please?
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on July 02, 2016, 06:56:12 PM

Denial isn't a state you can really remain in anymore.

joemamas

Muppet,

Lets be honest, any team that has All-Ireland aspirations needs two or three forwards that can regularly score.
For whatever reason, we have done a poor job, this needs to be done between ages of 17 and 21.

Do not want to turn this into a pissing contest,

Monaghan have 3 or 4 including one or two debutants over past year or so.
Donegal ditto
Dublin 6 or 9 :)
Kerry 3-4
Tyrone 3-4
Mayo 1-2
Roscommon even have 2-3

ZeitChrist

Mayo should win this and use it as a platform to build a proper season. They are still very capable of making it to the latter stages of the summer if they use this unexpected detour as a motivator.

Farrandeelin

Agree with Iolar on this one. This is game 10 this year and to be brutally honest Mayo haven't put in a full 70 minute performance in any of them. Whether this is down to injuries, management, fatigue or something else I don't know, but this has got to change. This is not the time for trying out players in new positions either. Hopefully Fermanagh are worse travellers than Mayo are at home. I think it will be in the melting pot until the end.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on July 02, 2016, 07:23:45 PM

Muppet,

Lets be honest, any team that has All-Ireland aspirations needs two or three forwards that can regularly score.
For whatever reason, we have done a poor job, this needs to be done between ages of 17 and 21.

Do not want to turn this into a pissing contest,

Monaghan have 3 or 4 including one or two debutants over past year or so.
Donegal ditto
Dublin 6 or 9 :)
Kerry 3-4
Tyrone 3-4
Mayo 1-2
Roscommon even have 2-3

Well if Monaghan, Tyrone and even Roscommon have that many natural forwards more than us, we have massively overachieved and they have massively underachieved in recent years.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Wouldn't agree with Joemamas ranking of scoring forwards but there is no doubt Mayo lack the quality of forward to be really potent. The reason they've been so competitive is that from 1-9 they are as good if not better than anyone but from 10-15 they are not and they particularly lack a Brogan, Connolly, McManus, Murphy etc. Those guys aren't ten a penny but they often are the difference between winning and losing narrowly.

Mayoffs

we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 02, 2016, 08:01:18 PM
Agree with Iolar on this one. This is game 10 this year and to be brutally honest Mayo haven't put in a full 70 minute performance in any of them. Whether this is down to injuries, management, fatigue or something else I don't know, but this has got to change. This is not the time for trying out players in new positions either. Hopefully Fermanagh are worse travellers than Mayo are at home. I think it will be in the melting pot until the end.
I agree with all that.  Mayo really need to blitz Fermanagh off the pitch if they plan to go anywhere this season. No time or place for being nice to anyone at anytime if Mayo are to have a realistic chance of going the whole way this year.
It's almost a cliché at this stage to say Mayo lack the ruthless streak needed to compete with the best. It's been a problem for years that they can run up big leads and do in style only to lose concentration and let the opposition back into the game- something Dublin, Kerry or Tyrone would never do.
The problem with the forwards finding scores to come by has been a big problem and going by the game v Galway it seems to be as bad as ever.
Against a team that fielded an assload of championship debutants, with the manager saying he had 52 players that didn't make themselves available, our forwards scored just two points from play.
Scores from frees are all very well but, before you can score a free, the opposition must commit an offence. It's hard to win scoreable frees against the likes of Kerry as them cute hoors do most of their fouling well out the field and out the wings too. Dublin are fairly good at this also. (Wasn't always the case with them I know.)
Nothing will come easy this year and without a massive improvement in every department next Saturday, we won't get very far.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

highorlow

positive build up to this. I expect a big back lash.

What time is throw in?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Mayo lads who think they'll be able to railroad Fermanagh are in for a big shock.

highorlow

I don't think that will be the case.

You still gauge teams on the basis of how Roscommon do against them, you do realise that there is a real world out here?

In other words piss off!

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on July 03, 2016, 02:12:01 PM
I don't think that will be the case.

You still gauge teams on the basis of how Roscommon do against them, you do realise that there is a real world out here?

In other words piss off!

Fermanagh have played well against a lot more teams than Roscommon. Lest you forget a mid-table D2 side in Galway beat ye well at home. Fermanagh are also a D2 team.

highorlow

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on July 03, 2016, 02:23:55 PM
We beat ourselves

That's what all good/great teams tell themselves when the run ends. It's rarely that simple, though. I think Mayo may be in for another hard slog because Fermanagh are better at defending than Galway and in Corrigan and Quigley they have better forwards too.