Connacht senior football final Galway v Roscommon July 10th

Started by giveballaghback, June 18, 2016, 09:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2016, 03:18:52 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 15, 2016, 03:11:35 PM
All about winning and couldn't care less how the team goes about doing it given the lack of success in recent years.

If that Roscommon team starts I don't see much difference to the last day apart from going a bit more direct to Kilbride although by the time they've worked the ball from the goalie to the corner back up the pitch Kilbride will be well covered. Roscommon would need to start winning kickouts around the middle to make use of him which is going to be difficult if both teams are letting the goalies go short.

Don't forget working the ball to the wing back, then back to the full back, then over to the other corner back then out to the centre back then on to the other wing back.
#transition
How's Meaths transition going?

seafoid

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 15, 2016, 04:50:44 PM
All about winning and couldn't care less how the team goes about doing it given the lack of success in recent years.

If that Roscommon team starts I don't see much difference to the last day apart from going a bit more direct to Kilbride although by the time they've worked the ball from the goalie to the corner back up the pitch Kilbride will be well covered. Roscommon would need to start winning kickouts around the middle to make use of him which is going to be difficult if both teams are letting the goalies go short.

Don't forget working the ball to the wing back, then back to the full back, then over to the other corner back then out to the centre back then on to the other wing back.
#transition
Meath has almost finished the surgery and is living as a woman near Bettystown .

Rossfan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 15, 2016, 04:50:44 PM

#transition
From Senior to Junior I presume?!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2016, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2016, 10:02:10 PM
The time to judge some of these Roscommon forwards is after the championship, I really don't know how anyone can say Roscommon have one of the best forward lines in the country as hitting some big scores early on in the league doesn't count.

I've seen no evidence this year or in the last few years to suggest Roscommon have a better forward line than Galway; Now a few months down the line I'll certainly give Roscommon more credit should they take off in the next few games.

When the Galway forward line regularly consists of a single player it's fair enough to say we've the better forward line..

Roscommon forwards generally let play their positions with obvious concessions to the modern game.  Galway's simply are not. It's a pity as these players have played against each other in some of the most memorable matches I've ever witnessed. Roscommon at least trying to be positive but Galway have zero intentions of being expansive and will ride the blanket boat until it's evitable sinking. How times how changed when it's Galway of all counties that's afraid to play football.

We'll see if Galway are in a hole at some point on Sunday and have to pour forward if that fear is well founded or not.

Hah, laughable stuff. Let you be the only contrarian in the country, with the vast majority of the media reaction admonishing Ros only for their tactics. Ros turned the game into a clownshow with the ridiculous lateral passing, meaning Galway had to funnel everyone back to even have a chance at regaining possession. Relying on a pox lucky goal and a bit of defensive indiscipline to snatch an ill deserved draw. Wont take you too seriously though. To a man every Ros lad I chatted to Sunday night was depressed with the display and referenced their luck. Wasn't exactly delighted with Galway display but at least there was an effort to get themselves into a position to win it. Inexperience and luck cost them

Rossfan

And only scoring 2 points in the last 20 odd minutes with a far stronger wind and rain than Ros had in the first half.

Syferus

You must have been talking to some very c**k-eyed Ros men. Took some balls to work those final two points after so much mediocrity and it's something most Ros teams would not have done. I fully believe last Sunday will stand to us more than it will Galway.

Weather looking a lot better for this Sunday than last. We'll see full well who has the best forwards on Sunday.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 15, 2016, 08:23:23 PM
You must have been talking to some very c**k-eyed Ros men. Took some balls to work those final two points after so much mediocrity and it's something most Ros teams would not have done. I fully believe last Sunday will stand to us more than it will Galway.

Weather looking a lot better for this Sunday than last. We'll see full well who has the best forwards on Sunday.
We will. We will also see who has the psych stuff sorted out. Can Ros beat Galway in the sun or will the old anxieties return .

Maroon Manc

weareros

If memory server me correct, you were the one saying we had the best forwards in Connacht in advance of the Galway game in 2012 when we ended up getting a 14 point drubbing. I don't know what all the big talk serves for a team where I think 11 who played last Sunday were under 23 years of age. Evans was at the same nonsense last year bigging them up. Do you realise that supporters like you only heap pressure on these young lads. Anyone who knows anything about Roscommon football knows the best course of action is to dampen expectations. There used to an editor of the Herald once who refused to cover the county team lest they get a big head. Absolutely no need for us to shout from the rooftops. Galway supporters believe it's 1998 all over again, the sleeping giant has risen, the Mayo beast has been slain, the press are saying Galway were the only ones who played good football last Sunday, Brolly we hear is saying we are useless, the Tyrone bucks are saying we are responsible for the ruination of the game, the Meath bucks are aghast that we could have made so many handpasses in a game and forgot to use our foot. There's absolutely no need for us to loo out mouths off. Take a turn at Crennane Bridge, drive through Kilmovee, beep horn at Larry's house, head to Knock and say a few prayers instead of all this Ballagh Braggadocio that will only bring us bad luck.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on July 15, 2016, 10:51:48 PM

If memory server me correct, you were the one saying we had the best forwards in Connacht in advance of the Galway game in 2012 when we ended up getting a 14 point drubbing. I don't know what all the big talk serves for a team where I think 11 who played last Sunday were under 23 years of age. Evans was at the same nonsense last year bigging them up. Do you realise that supporters like you only heap pressure on these young lads. Anyone who knows anything about Roscommon football knows the best course of action is to dampen expectations. There used to an editor of the Herald once who refused to cover the county team lest they get a big head. Absolutely no need for us to shout from the rooftops. Galway supporters believe it's 1998 all over again, the sleeping giant has risen, the Mayo beast has been slain, the press are saying Galway were the only ones who played good football last Sunday, Brolly we hear is saying we are useless, the Tyrone bucks are saying we are responsible for the ruination of the game, the Meath bucks are aghast that we could have made so many handpasses in a game and forgot to use our foot. There's absolutely no need for us to loo out mouths off. Take a turn at Crennane Bridge, drive through Kilmovee, beep horn at Larry's house, head to Knock and say a few prayers instead of all this Ballagh Braggadocio that will only bring us bad luck.

Nonsense. Luck, are you serious? You make your own luck on the field.

Never engaged in the mealy-mouthedness that infects a lot of posters on this forum who think they're the the PRO of their county board and better not say or do anything controversial.  Not about to start now.

barking mad

Bullshit u make ur own luck.
If u sit back and wait for luck to kick in yer at f**k all.
Good day promised as long as the rhubarbs have pitch in reasonable condition there will be
Only 1 winner and it won't be the maroon wall who may wait on the 45 in castlebar to play there managers x county next week there..

Rossfan

Must be a full moon over parts of Ros tonight. ::)
Think I'll stir out for a pint.

maigheo

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
tis a pity you could not take Syferus with you but I am sure you do not want to be promoting underage drinking

seafoid

Quote from: maigheo on July 16, 2016, 02:16:18 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
tis a pity you could not take Syferus with you but I am sure you do not want to be promoting underage drinking
He offered to stand a round with his communion money.

seafoid

Quote from: barking mad on July 15, 2016, 11:00:56 PM
Bullshit u make ur own luck.
If u sit back and wait for luck to kick in yer at f**k all.
Good day promised as long as the rhubarbs have pitch in reasonable condition there will be
Only 1 winner and it won't be the maroon wall who may wait on the 45 in castlebar to play there managers x county next week there..

Galway were shite in 2012 . But still. Roscommon is personal. They beat them in Shangri La. I don't think it was called THE Hyde at that stage.
Then they lost to Sligo . Walsh was the manager who took them down.  They were knocked out by antrim in the qualifiers. So they were really shite.

Cregg and Kilbride were playing. In the forwards.
Only half rampant would do on Sunday .

Irish Times - Monday, May 21, 2012
Rampant Galway put Rossies to the sword

KEITH DUGGAN at Dr Hyde Park
CONNACHT SFC FIRST ROUND: Galway 3-15 Roscommon 0-10: IN the 33rd minute of this match, Joe Bergin didn't so much catch as wolf a ball down from the sky to set in motion another Galway attack. The sight must have had Galway football people licking their chops.

The big Mountbellew man has made plenty of spectacular catches in his decade of service to the maroon cause, but he has rarely been as intense and central to the Galway game plan as he was here in Hyde Park.
It says something that on a day when Galway Paul Conroy gave a revelatory performance at full-forward and Gareth Bradshaw maintained the excellent form he has demonstrated all league that Bergin was still probably the pick of the bunch.
Alan Mulholland's could not have designed a more perfect championship debut than the way it panned out here. Suffice to say it was the biggest win Galway have ever posted in Roscommon town.

The afternoon even felt vaguely summery and if the choc-ices weren't enough, the visitors were treated to the sight of Messrs Meehan and Joyce entering the theatre to resume the most tantalising double act in Gaelic games. Meehan has been a beacon for all that is good in Galway football for so long it is hard to credit he is only yet 27.

He has had a nightmarish couple of years with his ankle injury, and his first act on the field was to follow Sean McDermott on a three-quarter length sprint as the Roscommon corner back sought clarification that Meehan's ankle was, in fact, up to the job.
He played an excellent 20 minutes, albeit in undemanding circumstances, and his rehabilitation towards full fitness is an ongoing project.

The decision to cast Paul Conroy as a traditional full forward during the league paid dividends here. The St James's man advertised his mindset with a smart turn-and-shoot point in the 10th minute and proceeded to cause terror among the Roscommon rearguard thereafter.

His lay-off to Mark Hehir for Galway's first goal came about when the home team were in disarray: a moment of distraction appeared to afflict the team after Michael Finneran departed with an injury, and when Conroy took possession, he looked up to see his team-mate blazing a trail to the Roscommon goal with no primrose shirt in pursuit.

That score seemed to shake Roscommon and Galway reeled off four smooth points, with a sublime pick-up and flick by Conroy for Sice the highlight of that spell. The contest was effectively ended in the 23rd minute. Johnny Duane, looking tidy and comfortable at centre back, plucked a ball from the sky and, after taking a return pass from Kieran McGrath, lobbed a perfectly weighted ball downfield for his full forward.

Conroy dominated the tussle for possession and had goal on his mind before his feet hit the turf. His finish was low and decisive. Trailing by 2-6 to 0-3, Roscommon's day was in tatters.

Their first two points, brilliant efforts from Senan Kilbride and Karol Mannion in the 4th and 5th minutes, seemed to suggest that Roscommon confidence was high and that they were in the mood to make life awkward for their neighbours. But they had no answer to a blistering period of maroon dominance.
Encouraging spells either side of half-time gave the home support in the crowd of 12,962 something to shout about, but it was a brief rebellion. Cathal Cregg was bright and menacing every time he got the ball and he set Donal Shine up for Roscommon's best goal chance in the 33rd minute.

Shine has been the talisman for the recent revival in Primrose football but he had an underwhelming day here, struggling to get much change out of Keith Kelly and also in his place-kicking duties.

However, he did put David O'Gara through in the 38th minute and had the substitute goaled – his shot blazed over the crossbar – Roscommon might have engineered some sort of revival.
Instead, Conroy thumped another fine point into the graveyard goal and Galway were back in business. Meehan clearly enjoyed his return, firing two points and collecting a long ball from Joyce and tap-dancing through the Roscommon defence before flicking a pass from Sice to goal from close range.

By then, all of the anticipated championship intensity had left Hyde Park and suddenly the heady days of Roscommon's provincial title coup of two years ago seemed very far away. It might have gotten worse too as Danny Cummins, loitering around the Roscommon square, palmed a ball against the crossbar only to have it rebound off him and fly inches wide.

The whistle must have come as a relief for Roscommon, who face a long wait after this dispiriting exit. Galway have just under weeks for a Saturday fixture in Salthill which will see Mulholland and Kevin Walsh, minor and senior team-mates from a fair few moons ago, patrolling the sidelines.

GALWAY : A Faherty; K McGrath (0-1); F Hanley; K Kelly; G Bradshaw (0-2); J Duane; G O'Donnell; J Bergin (0-2); G Higgins; G Sice (1-3, 0-2 frees); D Burke; T Flynn; S Armstrong (0-1); P Conroy (1-4); M Hehir (1-0). Subs: M Meehan (0-2, 0-1 free) for S Armstrong (45 mins); Pádraic Joyce for D Burke (51 mins); T Fahy for G O'Donnell (54 mins); D Cummins for M Hehir (65 mins). Yellow cards: Burke (28 mins); Hehir (36 mins); Bradshaw (55 mins).

ROSCOMMON: G Claffey; S McDermott; N Carty; S Purcell; C Dineen; P Domican; I Kilbride; M Finneran; K Mannion (0-1); D Keenan; C Cregg (0-1); J Rogers; S Kilbride (0-3, 0-2 frees); D McDermott; D Shine (0-2, frees). Subs: N Daly for M Finneran (inj: 11 mins); D O'Gara (0-2) for J Rogers (23 mins); G Heneghan (0-1) for D Keenan (47 mins); K Higgins for D McDermott (57 mins); C Shine for I Kilbride (65 mins). Yellow card: I Kilbride (53 mins).
Referee: J McQuillan (Cavan).