Connacht senior football final Galway v Roscommon July 10th

Started by giveballaghback, June 18, 2016, 09:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2016, 11:31:55 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 14, 2016, 11:26:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2016, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2016, 10:02:10 PM
The time to judge some of these Roscommon forwards is after the championship, I really don't know how anyone can say Roscommon have one of the best forward lines in the country as hitting some big scores early on in the league doesn't count.

I've seen no evidence this year or in the last few years to suggest Roscommon have a better forward line than Galway; Now a few months down the line I'll certainly give Roscommon more credit should they take off in the next few games.

When the Galway forward line regularly consists of a single player it's fair enough to say we've the better forward line..

Yeah but it doesn't though so it's a moot point.

I agree with someone above though that lauding a forward line for putting up good scores against half interested sides in the early rounds of the league is not a valid basis to crown them as world beaters. I don't think our own lads are world beaters either by the way but they can score given the opportunity.

I do think Roscommon have more options off the bench though. This is where the 4 or 5 lads that would be on the Galway panel that are currently in the US are going to be missed from a Galway perspective. Whether it be this weekend or the next.

Walsh is not putting them in a position to score and never will he ever unless he's chasing a game and is desperate.
Tempting fate Syf. It would be awful for your thesis if Galway scored 3 goals in the first 15 mins

Rossfan

Feckers got 2 in the first 5 mins of the FBD Final.
Mind you they only got 2 points in the last 20 or so minutes With a gale and rainstorm last Sunday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2016, 11:45:41 PM
Feckers got 2 in the first 5 mins of the FBD Final.
Mind you they only got 2 points in the last 20 or so minutes With a gale and rainstorm last Sunday.

It might come as a shock to Seafoid but the only Sean Purcell playing on Sunday will be for Roscommon..

seafoid

Kevin Walsh will probably have a few of Syf's posts up on the wall and a bit of rap playing in the dressingroom

Lookit, lads. It's like this for the Rossies

"Bitch ass have you confessin'
Like a D T left in state of depression"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gps6J9SKi6I

Nigga you know what's up
Or don't you?
Word to who made ya
I'm a rude bitch nigga
What are you made up of?
I'm a eat your food up boo
I could bust your 8
I'm a do one too
f**k you gone do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdiggyoQhoc

I feel sorry for Rossfan

seafoid

A few of these would do the job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hhc_Qs2hw

the point here starting at 7.48 is a good example of Galway at their best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4pULVTXcI
I don't buy the notions that the forwards can't score or that Walsh is hopeless. This is a very good young team.
and the Mayo game was very open

barking mad

seafoid

What are the Rossie bringing to this match other than handpassing?

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2016, 02:38:35 PM

Division one experience?

GalwayBayBoy

Galway named as the European capital of culture for 2020.

Can Galway make it a double or will Roscommon be named as the Connacht capital for football in 2016.

See what I did there.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2016, 02:38:35 PM
So how many tossballs did the Capital of Culture's team do last Sunday?
1, 3 5 or.......hundreds :) ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2016, 10:41:00 AM
Quote from: PW Nally on July 13, 2016, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2016, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: PW Nally on July 13, 2016, 10:27:48 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2016, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2016, 09:16:30 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 13, 2016, 07:42:50 AM

Quote from: galwayman on July 13, 2016, 12:32:03 AM
Syferus you are so full of shit and so one eyed it is beyond belief.

Unfortunately this forum lacks the "ignore" function that is common elsewhere to filter out posters whose musings you feel (subjectively of course) are of no value.

There is an ignore function if you want to use it.

It's not surprising that saying something as factual and well known as Galway setting up very defensively has been a theme and their brand under Walsh would illicit the above hand wringing personal stuff here.
False. You're just being called out once more for spouting bullshite and you carry on regardless.

You can "call me out" las much as you want but it doesn't change the basic fact that Galway are a team who set out to play very defensive, conservative football. No one could accuse us of the same this year so it's only right that Galway get most of the stick for what we saw on Sunday. If Galway wanted to play a game of football we'd be happy to oblige..
This is the Roscommon team that played with the whole panel behind the ball while having the strong wind in the first half?
The Roscommon team that was the highest scorers in the league and one of the highest conceders too. Neither being hallmarks of a team trying to play defensive football.

It's also the Roscommon team that packed everyone back in their own half with a gale force wind behind them.

If Galway are a naturally defensive team under Walsh then that's fine. They actually looked like there was method to what they were doing and no doubt about they played the best football last Sunday.

Roscommon on the other hand look like they just went defensive for the sake of it. If they are the ones afraid to play their own game then they should take the brunt of the criticism for last week, they had twice as many handpasses as Galway. A flukey goal kept them in it at the end of the day.

Maroon Manc

All about winning and couldn't care less how the team goes about doing it given the lack of success in recent years.

If that Roscommon team starts I don't see much difference to the last day apart from going a bit more direct to Kilbride although by the time they've worked the ball from the goalie to the corner back up the pitch Kilbride will be well covered. Roscommon would need to start winning kickouts around the middle to make use of him which is going to be difficult if both teams are letting the goalies go short.

Jinxy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 15, 2016, 03:11:35 PM
All about winning and couldn't care less how the team goes about doing it given the lack of success in recent years.

If that Roscommon team starts I don't see much difference to the last day apart from going a bit more direct to Kilbride although by the time they've worked the ball from the goalie to the corner back up the pitch Kilbride will be well covered. Roscommon would need to start winning kickouts around the middle to make use of him which is going to be difficult if both teams are letting the goalies go short.

Don't forget working the ball to the wing back, then back to the full back, then over to the other corner back then out to the centre back then on to the other wing back.
#transition
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 15, 2016, 03:02:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2016, 10:41:00 AM
Quote from: PW Nally on July 13, 2016, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2016, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: PW Nally on July 13, 2016, 10:27:48 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2016, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2016, 09:16:30 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 13, 2016, 07:42:50 AM

Quote from: galwayman on July 13, 2016, 12:32:03 AM
Syferus you are so full of shit and so one eyed it is beyond belief.

Unfortunately this forum lacks the "ignore" function that is common elsewhere to filter out posters whose musings you feel (subjectively of course) are of no value.

There is an ignore function if you want to use it.

It's not surprising that saying something as factual and well known as Galway setting up very defensively has been a theme and their brand under Walsh would illicit the above hand wringing personal stuff here.
False. You're just being called out once more for spouting bullshite and you carry on regardless.

You can "call me out" las much as you want but it doesn't change the basic fact that Galway are a team who set out to play very defensive, conservative football. No one could accuse us of the same this year so it's only right that Galway get most of the stick for what we saw on Sunday. If Galway wanted to play a game of football we'd be happy to oblige..
This is the Roscommon team that played with the whole panel behind the ball while having the strong wind in the first half?
The Roscommon team that was the highest scorers in the league and one of the highest conceders too. Neither being hallmarks of a team trying to play defensive football.

It's also the Roscommon team that packed everyone back in their own half with a gale force wind behind them.

If Galway are a naturally defensive team under Walsh then that's fine. They actually looked like there was method to what they were doing and no doubt about they played the best football last Sunday.

Roscommon on the other hand look like they just went defensive for the sake of it. If they are the ones afraid to play their own game then they should take the brunt of the criticism for last week, they had twice as many handpasses as Galway. A flukey goal kept them in it at the end of the day.

I have seen Galway play a few times the last few years and they weren't as defensive as they were Sunday. Galway due to those defensive tactics ended up scoring less with the gale than Roscommon and the last twenty minutes Galway only scored a point. You don't deserve to win with game stats like that.