Meath vs Dublin - 26/06/16

Started by thejuice, June 12, 2016, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Also we need to put some perspective on Dublin's decade of dominance in Leinster

2005 Dublin and Laois both beaten in AI QFs
2006 Laois and Westmeath both AI Qfinalists - Dublin beaten in SF
2007 Meath and Dublin both beaten SFinalists
2008 Kildare and Dublin both beaten in AI QFs
2009 Kildare beaten by Meath in AI QF, Dublin by Kerry, Meath beaten in AI SF
2010 Meath beaten in AI QF, Dublin and Kildare beaten AI SFinalists
2011 Kildare beaten after extra time by Donegal in QF, Dublin AI winners
2012 Kildare beaten in AI QF, Dublin beat Laois in QF (by a goal and hanging on), Dublin beaten by Mayo in SF
2013 Dublin AI winners - no other Leinster teams in AI series
2014 Dublin beaten in AI SF - no other Leinster team in AI series
2015 Dublin AI winners - Kildare beaten in QFs by Kerry (by 27 points)

Seem to me that for this decade of dominance in Leinster, the other teams were able to match or surpass Dublin's achievements in the AI series on given years. The last three years has seen a huge drop in performance by Leinster teams against teams from outside the province. I'd say that is more about standards in those counties rather than a huge improvement by Dublin.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 30, 2016, 07:47:50 PM
2009 Kildare beaten by Meath in AI QF, Dublin by Kerry, Meath beaten in AI SF

Tyrone. Meath beat Mayo in the 1/4 Final.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Beffs on June 30, 2016, 07:32:25 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on June 30, 2016, 07:17:31 PM
If Dub players don't work, why is Jack McCaffrey taking a year off to further his career? Why did Bernard Brogan launch a promotions company? Why is Philly Mac running a health food company? Why is Dennis Bastick working in financial services? Why do I see Paddy Andrews getting off the Arrow every evening at 6 dressed in a suit? Why is Stephen Cluxton a teacher? Why did Rory O'Carroll take time off before this year to concentrate on studying abroad?

Some of the stuff put up here is pure fantasy.

+1

My nephew works in the financial services sector in the IFSC. He has often come across Dennis Bastick, Cian O'Sullivan and Paddy Andrews while at work. The 'none of the Dubs have proper jobs, that is why they are so successful' line is just more sticking your head in the sand nonsense.

http://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/senior-football

Beffs

You are going to have to point out to me how/where/why that link backs up your assertion (quoted below) that none of the Dublin players work.

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 30, 2016, 06:32:37 PM
Dub Players don't work. They are the only 100% professional set up in the GAA. Others are no where close to this.

Do you really think that none of them have proper jobs & that the Dublin Co Board pays the rent or mortgage of every single member of the squad? That they pay for their groceries? They pay their motor tax and insurance bills? They pay for all their clothes? They pay for their mammies, wives and girl friends birthday and Xmas prezzies? Seriously like....  :o

From the Bunker

As for ticket prices and venues. GAA used to be for the people. Little thought is given to the regular supporter. Venues are chosen to suit TV and Corporate boxes, or the Dubs! This is not an anti Dub rant. It's just the way it is. Kildare v Westmeath, what the hell was that game doing in Croker? There was no thought of supporters from either county. It was also a two fingers to recession ravaged rural Ireland where businesses in Mullingar or Newbridge could get a twist.

The Dublin posters won't/don't understand the expense (and time) come summer. Every game is on their doorstep.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Beffs on June 30, 2016, 08:57:35 PM
You are going to have to point out to me how/where/why that link backs up your assertion (quoted below) that none of the Dublin players work.

Dub Players don't work. They are the only 100% professional set up in the GAA. Others are no where close to this.

Do you really think that none of them have proper jobs & that the Dublin Co Board pays the rent or mortgage of every single member of the squad? That they pay for their groceries? They pay their motor tax and insurance bills? They pay for all their clothes? They pay for their mammies, wives and girl friends birthday and Xmas prezzies? Seriously like....  :o

http://www.lehanemotors.ie/pages/hybrid/world-of-toyota/sponsorships/dublin-gaa.json

http://www.mcnallymotors.ie/pages/news/toyota-article/world-of-toyota/articles-news-events/2015/Toyota-Long-Mile-unveils-two-ambassadors-Rhys-Ruddock-and-Dean-Rock-for-the-dealership.json

Rossfan

And increasing Qualifiers prices from €10 to €20 and kids from free to €5 won't help attendance's.
Johnny, Mary and little Sēamie and Sìle was  €20 last year now €50.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 30, 2016, 09:28:29 PM

http://www.lehanemotors.ie/pages/hybrid/world-of-toyota/sponsorships/dublin-gaa.json

http://www.mcnallymotors.ie/pages/news/toyota-article/world-of-toyota/articles-news-events/2015/Toyota-Long-Mile-unveils-two-ambassadors-Rhys-Ruddock-and-Dean-Rock-for-the-dealership.json

High profile athletes in all the high profile sports, in the country get freebie cars from car dealerships, all the time. Go have a look at Aidan O'Shea, Paul Galvin, Joe Canning, Jackie Tyrell or Kieran Donaghy's Twitter accounts. You'll frequently see them pimping out their free wheels & the local dealership. Non Dublin players are no different to Dublin players there. Access to a free car is a long, long way from having your entire life and life style and every single bill that you have, paid for by your county board, because you don't have a "proper" job.  ::)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Beffs on June 30, 2016, 09:39:43 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 30, 2016, 09:28:29 PM

High profile athletes in all the high profile sports, in the country get freebie cars from car dealerships, all the time. Go have a look at Aidan O'Shea, Paul Galvin, Joe Canning, Jackie Tyrell or Kieran Donaghy's Twitter accounts. You'll see them pimping out their free wheels & the local dealership, all the time. Non Dublin players are no different to Dublin players there. Access to a free car is a long, long way from having your entire life and life style and every single bill that you have, paid for by your county board, because you don't have a "proper" job.  ::)

There are a lot of 20 something students, Leisure Centre Executives, Bank Reps etc
http://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/senior-football

Zulu

I thought you were just winding up the Dubs a bit but if you think that occupation list is very different from any other team then you're mad! Students make up a significant portion of most IC squads and 20 something students would be the norm now.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on June 30, 2016, 10:00:55 PM
I thought you were just winding up the Dubs a bit but if you think that occupation list is very different from any other team then you're mad! Students make up a significant portion of most IC squads and 20 something students would be the norm now.

Absolutely! You basically have to stay a student as long as possible to survive in Intercounty football. This is no windup! Dublin players are looked after!

easytiger95

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 30, 2016, 10:07:44 PM
Quote from: Zulu on June 30, 2016, 10:00:55 PM

Absolutely! You basically have to stay a student as long as possible to survive in Intercounty football. This is no windup! Dublin players are looked after!
Truthiness!! It's like truth, only...not.

I've given you the name of two students on the Dublin panel who left the panel to pursue/further their studies. Both are all stars and all Ireland winners. How does that fit your theory that students are being paid to play football in Dublin?
This board has gone to the dogs

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Canalman on June 30, 2016, 02:41:58 PM
In fairness, I seem to recollect figures released some years ago showing Mayo spent a huge amount on their teams. Not just Mayo, but other counties as well.

Convenient myth out there that Dublin are the only county spending money on their teams and that all others are penniless.
Mayo must be spending more on its team than they can afford. In this, they have no choice because to compete with the best costs money. 
Add in the cost of meeting loan repayments on McHale Park and Mayo have to be penniless or somewhere damn close it.
It's the same with any county in serious contention for the Sam Maguire.

I believe that there is a total of 34 involved with the Mayo team'.Doctors, physios and s&c coaches like Barry Solan don't come cheap.

Yet if we are to stay in touch with the Dubs, a huge chunk of the annual budget will be spent on the team and the backroom staff. A far higher percentage of the total annual income is being spent on the senior team than is the case with Dublin.

I can't see the situation being any better in Kerry or Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal or anyone else who take the AI championship seriously. Many don't and you get counties like Longford, Tipp and Galway where county players won't make themselves available for selection. What's the point if the team is going to get nowhere?
The GAA is not in a good place at the moment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mac2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 01, 2016, 01:21:26 PM
Quote from: Canalman on June 30, 2016, 02:41:58 PM
In fairness, I seem to recollect figures released some years ago showing Mayo spent a huge amount on their teams. Not just Mayo, but other counties as well.

Convenient myth out there that Dublin are the only county spending money on their teams and that all others are penniless.
Mayo must be spending more on its team than they can afford. In this, they have no choice because to compete with the best costs money. 
Add in the cost of meeting loan repayments on McHale Park and Mayo have to be penniless or somewhere damn close it.
It's the same with any county in serious contention for the Sam Maguire.

I believe that there is a total of 34 involved with the Mayo team'.Doctors, physios and s&c coaches like Barry Solan don't come cheap.

Yet if we are to stay in touch with the Dubs, a huge chunk of the annual budget will be spent on the team and the backroom staff. A far higher percentage of the total annual income is being spent on the senior team than is the case with Dublin.

I can't see the situation being any better in Kerry or Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal or anyone else who take the AI championship seriously. Many don't and you get counties like Longford, Tipp and Galway where county players won't make themselves available for selection. What's the point if the team is going to get nowhere?
The GAA is not in a good place at the moment.
Was it in a better place in the 70s and early 80s where bar the odd interruption Kerry won all before them dishing out major hammerings on the way?

Jinxy

1987 - 1999 was a golden age for the GAA.
Think of all the swashbuckling, manly teams that won All-Irelands in that time.
Brave newcomers like Derry and Donegal.
Solid old reliables like Dublin & Cork.
And the pure aristocrats like Kerry, Down, Galway and particularly Meath.
Will we ever see that level of competition again?
Maybe we need to go back to a straight knock-out championship.
This back door craic never suited us anyway.  :o
If you were any use you'd be playing.