Muineacháin v Dún na nGall - déja vu all over again 26/6

Started by babarino, June 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 20, 2016, 04:54:26 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 20, 2016, 12:42:11 PM
Let's blow the cobwebs off this one..

Will yesterday's game have influenced either or both? I reckon this game will be as intense, and hopefully not cynical, as yesterday's wasn't overly.

Any other oul craic?

I'd imagine both sides are thinking that there could be a relatively handy Ulster title to be won if they win this game.

Sure they are...

J70

Will yesterday's game have influenced either or both? I reckon this game will be as intense, and hopefully not cynical, as yesterday's wasn't overly.

Any other oul craic?

We all know its going to be cynical and dirty and defensive, with a couple of players on either side rising above it.

Whether it is tight or not depends on a couple of things, mostly Donegal weaknesses to date:

If Monaghan exploit our weaknesses on kickouts, they could keep us penned in a bit and score a few points and maybe even a goal off our kickouts. We won't win much in the air in the absence of Neil Gallagher, and McGinley just hasn't had the experience or practise to even come remotely close to what Durcan could do with the short kickouts.

We will miss Neil McGee badly, unless Lacey somehow reverts into a top-class man marker and does a good job on McManus (more likely that Paddy McGrath will get the job).

So basically, you have a Donegal team missing some of its strongest central components (Durcan, McGee, Gallagher) trying to beat a similar Monaghan team to the one they lost to last year, albeit in as tight a fashion as they could have lost a game. But now they're the same, we're a bit weaker.

Monaghan by five or six (obviously I hope I'm wrong), and a grinding run to the quarters via the back door if we avoid Mayo.

babarino

Any other oul craic?

I'd imagine both sides are thinking that there could be a relatively handy Ulster title to be won if they win this game.

Both sides would be very wrong to think there's a handy Ulster title for the winner. Mattie Donnelly is the stand out play maker in this years U.C.

Unlaoised

I think Monaghan will win this one with a bit to spare!
LAOIS ABÚ

skeog

mattie donnelly top player but i think tyrone dont depend on just him

trueblue1234

Quote from: babarino on June 21, 2016, 10:19:04 AM

Any other oul craic?

Both sides would be very wrong to think there's a handy Ulster title for the winner. Mattie Donnelly is the stand out play maker in this years U.C.

I actually didn't think he had hit the heights of some previous performances. I'd actually rate Colm Cavanagh's performances above his this year.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on June 20, 2016, 04:58:18 PM

Any other oul craic?

Sure they are...

I did use "relatively"

It's not like I'm saying it would be a cakewalk, but I can't see either side fearing Tyrone or Cavan all that much after Sunday's game.

GrandMasterFlash

McGee's appeal fails: http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=257069

---------
Neil McGee's appeal against his two-match ban has fallen on deaf ears.

The Central Hearings Committee has ruled against the Donegal defender and that means he will miss Saturday's Ulster SFC semi-final showdown against Monaghan as well as his side's next game in the championship.

The CHC released the following statement:

Hearing 1 of 1: Niall Mac aoidh

Competition: Ulster GAA Football Championship

Fixture: Dún na nGall v Fear Manach

Venue: Ballybofey

Data: 12ú Meitheamh

In relation to the above game, An Lár Choiste Cheannais na gComórtaisí (Central Competitions Control Committee) instituted Disciplinary Action against Niall Mac Aoidh alleging a breach of 7.2 (b) Category III (i) T.O 2016, that is to say "Striking with arm".

The player in question requested a Hearing which took place on 21ú Meitheamh. An Lár Choiste Éisteachta (Central Hearings Committee) found the Infraction proven and as this was a repeat Infraction, imposed a Two Match Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level applicable to the next games in the combination of the National League / Inter-County Senior Championship, even if one or both occur(s) in the following year.
---------

Seriously, why would you even consider a hearing when it was so blatant? Before anyone has a go, I would apply the same logic/reasoning if a Monaghan player was the guilty party here.. It's an affront on people's intelligence, and especially those in the CCCC, that these incidents are even appealed. If he were protesting his innocence based on some technicality or loophole you could argue, yes, go for it as the rules should be tightened up, but such was the nature of the incident there can be no appeal; take your punishment and get on with it. There has been far too much of this craic in today's litigious GAA world..

Rant over.

westbound

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 22, 2016, 02:24:33 PM
McGee's appeal fails: http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=257069

---------

The Central Hearings Committee has ruled against the Donegal defender and that means he will miss Saturday's Ulster SFC semi-final showdown against Monaghan as well as his side's next game in the championship.

In relation to the above game, An Lár Choiste Cheannais na gComórtaisí (Central Competitions Control Committee) instituted Disciplinary Action against Niall Mac Aoidh alleging a breach of 7.2 (b) Category III (i) T.O 2016, that is to say "Striking with arm".

The player in question requested a Hearing which took place on 21ú Meitheamh. An Lár Choiste Éisteachta (Central Hearings Committee) found the Infraction proven and as this was a repeat Infraction, imposed a Two Match Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level applicable to the next games in the combination of the National League / Inter-County Senior Championship, even if one or both occur(s) in the following year.
---------

Seriously, why would you even consider a hearing when it was so blatant? Before anyone has a go, I would apply the same logic/reasoning if a Monaghan player was the guilty party here.. It's an affront on people's intelligence, and especially those in the CCCC, that these incidents are even appealed. If he were protesting his innocence based on some technicality or loophole you could argue, yes, go for it as the rules should be tightened up, but such was the nature of the incident there can be no appeal; take your punishment and get on with it. There has been far too much of this craic in today's litigious GAA world..

Rant over.

I agree that there is way too much of this type of appeal in the GAA. But it's hard to blame Neil McGee personally for it. Several people of the last few years have got appeals upheld when there shouldn't have been a case to be heard at all.

What needs to happen is that the CCCC (or whoever hears these appeals) needs to 1) stop letting people off when the offence is obvious and 2) bring in a rule (like in soccer) that an appeal which has zero grounds for success (frivolous appeal) results in an additional 1 match ban .

in time people will think twice about lodging meaningless appeals.

At the moment, there is absolutely no discouragement to lodge an appeal (regardless of how unlikely it is to succeed)

cluaineois

I suppose the only way of stopping these type of appeals is to have the possibility of having the length of suspension extended in the event of the appeal being unsuccessful. But given the system that exists you cant blame the Donegal board as it is a shot to nothing.
once your a clone your never alone

J70

They knew he wasn't getting off. Rory Gallagher said so himself earlier in the week. And I can only imagine he was laughed out of the room (or should have been!).

The only possible defense I could see would be that he didn't mean to hit him in the face, but instead was trying to muscle his way out, but even that is not a defense. No more than if Michael Murphy clothes-lined Ryan McHugh in a club game due to the height difference. You have to have some duty of care towards your opponent.

But the consensus seems to be to give it a shot anyway and hopefully get the player off on some technicality, no matter what the offense.

AhNowRef

Theres obviously a precedent to appeal and get off .... I still cant figure out how in the name of Jaysus the Mayo lad got off with hitting Murphy a slap in the mouth last year ... I mean, it was so blatant and all captured 100% clear on video .... how the hell did he get off?  :-/

westbound

Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2016, 04:43:55 PM
They knew he wasn't getting off. Rory Gallagher said so himself earlier in the week. And I can only imagine he was laughed out of the room (or should have been!).

The only possible defense I could see would be that he didn't mean to hit him in the face, but instead was trying to muscle his way out, but even that is not a defense. No more than if Michael Murphy clothes-lined Ryan McHugh in a club game due to the height difference. You have to have some duty of care towards your opponent.

But the consensus seems to be to give it a shot anyway and hopefully get the player off on some technicality, no matter what the offense.

Agreed. And that is the problem!

There should be a discouragement for ridiculous appeals!

Jinxy

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 22, 2016, 02:24:33 PM

---------

---------

Rant over.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Donegal team announced:

Mark Anthony McGinley;
Paddy McGrath, Ciaran Gillespie, Eamon McGee;
Ryan McHugh, Frank McGlynn, Karl Lacey;
Rory Kavanagh; Odhran MacNiallais;
Anthony Thompson, Martin McElhinney, Eoin McHugh;
Patrick McBrearty, Michael Murphy, Martin O'Reilly.

Who knows if that team will start? Hopefully the Gillespie selection is for real, as he appears to be very highly rated within the county. Whether he will be tasked with McManus is a different kettle of fish - more likely he'll push out to half-back and Lacey or McGlynn will drop back, assuming, again, that that is the line-up. But then McGlynn could also swap with Anthony Thompson.

At least we have options on the bench with Neil Gallagher possibly fit to play at least a part and the likes of McLoone, Mark McHugh, O'Connor, Toye, McFadden, young McBrearty etc available.