Laois v Armagh

Started by illdecide, June 07, 2016, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: laoislad on July 04, 2016, 06:24:34 PM
Ah well if the Dubs say it then it must be true.

Yeh, I mean, for it to be true, you'd need evidence! Maybe in the form of a range of bitter posts or something!

armaghniac

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 04, 2016, 06:09:05 PM
Quote from: south Laois on July 04, 2016, 04:55:05 PM
Thanks to Armagh for sneakily hiding behind the CCCC to get the game replayed. The extra game will really stand to us.

I often hear the Dubs refer to Laois as the Lemons, something I could never understand.

Bitter. Not like the pleasant Orange.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Laois 4/5 to beat Clare.Thats a tasty price surely?

The Monument Road

Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2016, 07:27:53 PM
Thanks to Armagh for sneakily hiding behind the CCCC to get the game replayed. The extra game will really stand to us.

I often hear the Dubs refer to Laois as the Lemons, something I could never understand.

That Orange comment sounds very very Bitter

laoislad

Quote from: The Monument Road on July 04, 2016, 08:20:15 PM

What's better than beating Armagh in the Championship?

Beating them twice!

I'm here all week....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

T Fearon

You couldn't beat us when it mattered in 03 and 05.Can still see ould Micko with the programme "row led" up in his hand waiting for us to appear for the second half!😂

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on July 04, 2016, 09:04:48 PM
You couldn't beat us when it mattered in 03 and 05.Can still see ould Micko with the programme "row led" up in his hand waiting for us to appear for the second half!😂

The last two games don't count ll. It only counts when armagh have a good team. Get with the programme ;D

smelmoth

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 04, 2016, 12:44:09 PM
It really is time for Armagh football to take a long hard look at its self. The elephant in the room has been ignored for too long. There is a disconnect between the best Club Team in the county and the rest. Blaming Kieran McGeeney is the easy option, whatever his faults as a manager there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed by the County Board, Cross and the clubs. The denials that will follow this statement will be as believable as Boris' Brexit plan.

A bit of context though. Clarke, K Carragher & Hughes are the only players that said no to the county. Cunningham, McKeown & McKenna said no in the past but 2 of those 3 can't get and stay fit. There is a batch coming through and hopefully they will say yes to the county.

There are elephants in the room in Armagh football.

We have an uncompetitive club game. Some if the solutions to this are unpalatable so we do nothing. The result is most of our players have no track record in winning and no track record in even competing to win. Most compete to get close or compete to be the best of the rest. The impact on the county team is inevitable.

A consequence of this is that the production line of players is not as healthy as it should be. This is comforting to some as it allows expectation to talked down and level of (non)performance justified. Are Longford, Tipperary and Fermanagh telling themselves that they don't have the players?

We have academies, coaches and management teams who don't seem to be performing. The elephant here is performance management. Who measures these people? Against what benchmark? What are the consequences for underperformance or outright failure?

Look at our tackling. Success rates in dispossessions and failure rates in fouling? Is that a "lack of players" or a failure of coaching? (by clubs as well as county and academies).

We have an abject tactical approach in our senior team. It is not only failing in terms of results and performances but it is dire to watch. There is a lot of chat in Armagh about the solutions being years away as we have to go back to the coaching of 8 year olds. No doubt we do but dont underestimate the impact on the performances of the future of a senior team that is crap to watch, of a senior team that is failing and a club scene that it dominated (by volume if not by ultimate success) by negative tactics and dire entertainment. A focus on fitness and position discipline rather than attack, flair and enjoyment.

We have a 5 year plan (ahem). The elephant in the room has eaten it and did so on day 1 of the 5 years for nobody has ever seen it.

At the county convention you won't be able to move for elephants

Rossfan

Mr GAA himself says ye're Co Board is doing everything right  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: The Monument Road on July 04, 2016, 08:20:15 PM

Once, I had a car that was a lemon. The cylinder head had a great crack.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: smelmoth on July 04, 2016, 10:54:49 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 04, 2016, 12:44:09 PM
It really is time for Armagh football to take a long hard look at its self. The elephant in the room has been ignored for too long. There is a disconnect between the best Club Team in the county and the rest. Blaming Kieran McGeeney is the easy option, whatever his faults as a manager there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed by the County Board, Cross and the clubs. The denials that will follow this statement will be as believable as Boris' Brexit plan.

A bit of context though. Clarke, K Carragher & Hughes are the only players that said no to the county. Cunningham, McKeown & McKenna said no in the past but 2 of those 3 can't get and stay fit. There is a batch coming through and hopefully they will say yes to the county.

There are elephants in the room in Armagh football.

We have an uncompetitive club game. Some if the solutions to this are unpalatable so we do nothing. The result is most of our players have no track record in winning and no track record in even competing to win. Most compete to get close or compete to be the best of the rest. The impact on the county team is inevitable.

A consequence of this is that the production line of players is not as healthy as it should be. This is comforting to some as it allows expectation to talked down and level of (non)performance justified. Are Longford, Tipperary and Fermanagh telling themselves that they don't have the players?

We have academies, coaches and management teams who don't seem to be performing. The elephant here is performance management. Who measures these people? Against what benchmark? What are the consequences for underperformance or outright failure?

Look at our tackling. Success rates in dispossessions and failure rates in fouling? Is that a "lack of players" or a failure of coaching? (by clubs as well as county and academies).

We have an abject tactical approach in our senior team. It is not only failing in terms of results and performances but it is dire to watch. There is a lot of chat in Armagh about the solutions being years away as we have to go back to the coaching of 8 year olds. No doubt we do but dont underestimate the impact on the performances of the future of a senior team that is crap to watch, of a senior team that is failing and a club scene that it dominated (by volume if not by ultimate success) by negative tactics and dire entertainment. A focus on fitness and position discipline rather than attack, flair and enjoyment.

We have a 5 year plan (ahem). The elephant in the room has eaten it and did so on day 1 of the 5 years for nobody has ever seen it.

At the county convention you won't be able to move for elephants
I agree with all of this, it is obvious to me from the outside. But the biggest elephant remains the relationship between Cross and the County and I'd guess it will require compromise on both sides.

smelmoth

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 05, 2016, 11:05:37 AM
I agree with all of this, it is obvious to me from the outside. But the biggest elephant remains the relationship between Cross and the County and I'd guess it will require compromise on both sides.

There seems to be a big disconnect between fans/club members and what goes on when delegates get their heads together. The discussions around this started way before Saturday but the consensus seems to be that something need to be done (making the setup a bit more appealing for those with a career/family/life/love of a drink/ride, interest in playing club football, making the club game more competitive, improved coaching in clubs, schools, academies and in county squads including the senior side, robust measurement of coach performances, a county board, a manager and acolytes that talk up the county rather than systematically talk down expectations, improving the performance, tactics and entertainment of the senior team) but are confident that none of this will happen.

Are powerless or just lap dogs?

Applesisapples

Quote from: smelmoth on July 05, 2016, 09:48:15 PM

There seems to be a big disconnect between fans/club members and what goes on when delegates get their heads together. The discussions around this started way before Saturday but the consensus seems to be that something need to be done (making the setup a bit more appealing for those with a career/family/life/love of a drink/ride, interest in playing club football, making the club game more competitive, improved coaching in clubs, schools, academies and in county squads including the senior side, robust measurement of coach performances, a county board, a manager and acolytes that talk up the county rather than systematically talk down expectations, improving the performance, tactics and entertainment of the senior team) but are confident that none of this will happen.

If you are relying on club delegates you can forget about anything happening. From my own experience clubs tend to struggle to get anyone to go to CB meetings and it usually falls to a volunteer(s), who generally but not always thick and or have their own little agendas. CB matters at most club meetings usually take about 2 minutes.

smelmoth

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 06, 2016, 09:02:05 AM

If you are relying on club delegates you can forget about anything happening. From my own experience clubs tend to struggle to get anyone to go to CB meetings and it usually falls to a volunteer(s), who generally but not always thick and or have their own little agendas. CB matters at most club meetings usually take about 2 minutes.

So fans just accept that there is nothing they can do and the ruling clique roll on?

Applesisapples

Quote from: smelmoth on July 06, 2016, 09:04:15 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 06, 2016, 09:02:05 AM

So fans just accept that there is nothing they can do and the ruling clique roll on?
I honestly don't know.