Laois v Armagh

Started by illdecide, June 07, 2016, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: illdecide on June 26, 2016, 09:42:10 AM
Quote from: Give and Go on June 26, 2016, 07:15:32 AM
Looking at Justin McNulty and Paul McGraynor in Cavan last night - they both could still make that Armagh team! In greta shape the pair of them.

Why were they getting put through their paces? They're about 42 - 43 year old ffs, wise up. I believe Armagh had a few tough training sessions last week, nothing better to take away the sorrow of a defeat and get you refocused for next sat.

Not sure what the story is regarding injuries for next weekend? Have any of them cleared up? I believe C McKeever broke his foot last week playing club football and i think i heard J Morgan got his hand operation last week too. The odds have fairly changed from last weekend...You can now get Armagh at 9/4 with Laois at 1/2 on Paddypower this morning...

How's the fella he kicked?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

smelmoth

Quote from: illdecide on June 26, 2016, 09:42:10 AM
Quote from: Give and Go on June 26, 2016, 07:15:32 AM
Looking at Justin McNulty and Paul McGraynor in Cavan last night - they both could still make that Armagh team! In greta shape the pair of them.

Why were they getting put through their paces? They're about 42 - 43 year old ffs, wise up. I believe Armagh had a few tough training sessions last week, nothing better to take away the sorrow of a defeat and get you refocused for next sat.

Not sure what the story is regarding injuries for next weekend? Have any of them cleared up? I believe C McKeever broke his foot last week playing club football and i think i heard J Morgan got his hand operation last week too. The odds have fairly changed from last weekend...You can now get Armagh at 9/4 with Laois at 1/2 on Paddypower this morning...

Not sure McKeever will be a huge miss. The old McKeever battling for loose ball at CHB and linking up play with his kick passing is gone. Hasn't been seen in a long time. Age and injuries. The goal in the first match shows you were he is in terms of pace. He did a fair enough job as the sweeper in front of Kingston picking up ball broken by Donaghy. That is the role that we will need a replacement for an we have players who can do that. Would expect Connell to come in and a fit Shields to switch to that role.

That aside I would expect to see minimal changes.

McParland's confidence looks shot but he is at least a natural full forward. I would like to see him selected rather than yet another utility forward. But crucially Armagh need to spend the full 2 weeks working on a plan on getting quick ball from back to front so that the score takers stand a chance. If McGeeney hasn't worked this out and got on with it then he may forget about the management game and stick to that arm wrestling/rolling around in tight shorts stuff that he bes at.

smelmoth

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2016, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 26, 2016, 10:01:00 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 26, 2016, 09:56:44 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2016, 09:44:13 AM
Nobody away to the USA? Heard 2 starting players from the last day mentioned.

I think these plans were put on hold once the possibility of a rematch was on the table.

Staggering stuff.

So 2 of our starting 15 had planned to the US after the first round of the qualifiers i.e. the earliest stage we go out????????

Then they postpone their plans because we have another game. Shows you that they they are prepared to hang around and play they just don't think we will have many games to play!! The phrase "put on hold" does not inspire much hope.

As a signal from within the camp this looks damming
I'm surprised they are staying. It seems that their thinking is "If we go out of the championship, I'm heading to America". They went out and organised their plans. They got back in and cancelled their plans. Many would have gone anyway.

We are grateful for small mercies.

Larger mercies seem somewhat scarce

Throw ball

I think these plans were put on hold once the possibility of a rematch was on the table.

Staggering stuff.

So 2 of our starting 15 had planned to the US after the first round of the qualifiers i.e. the earliest stage we go out????????

Then they postpone their plans because we have another game. Shows you that they they are prepared to hang around and play they just don't think we will have many games to play!! The phrase "put on hold" does not inspire much hope.

As a signal from within the camfdp this looks damming

I think the plans were only organised after the defeat to Laois and once the rematch was made plans were changed. Not sure how it will effect the players but I would prefer to look on the bright side and say they changed plans because they wanted to play for their county.

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on June 26, 2016, 10:25:53 PM

Staggering stuff.

I think the plans were only organised after the defeat to Laois and once the rematch was made plans were changed. Not sure how it will effect the players but I would prefer to look on the bright side and say they changed plans because they wanted to play for their county.

So the plans were all made on the Sunday, eh? Is that "looking on the bright side" or fact?

Throw ball

Quote from: smelmoth on June 26, 2016, 10:32:20 PM

Staggering stuff.

So the plans were all made on the Sunday, eh? Is that "looking on the bright side" or fact?

Nothing is as simple as that.

Suffice to say that this has given some players a bit of a conundrum. They do want to play for Armagh though.

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on June 26, 2016, 10:38:33 PM

Staggering stuff.

Nothing is as simple as that.

Suffice to say that this has given some players a bit of a conundrum. They do want to play for Armagh though.

I don'y doubt that. But that is not what is being exposed here. You are answering the wrong question

DuffleKing

You obviously don't know much about how the states thing works.

That players reversed their plans for a summer in America after flights, accommodation, jobs etc. We're probably in place is quite a big statement for lads who people like you would have us believe are clinically depressed former footballers frog marched to their punishment in Armagh three times a week.

Is there a chink of light in that Armagh have nothing to lose? Maybe.
It really does confound me that o'loughlin's suspension is deemed served though.

armaghniac

You are making too much of this. They decided to go when they were out, that they have cancelled this when the replay arose suggests that they would not have launched these plans until they were out.

I expect the result may not be much different this time, but Armagh played a bit in the first half of the last day and might be able to build on that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on June 25, 2016, 10:58:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2016, 10:33:59 PM
Have you seen Casement Park? Get yer hands off that feckin cup.

This is one  competition  Antrim can win.

Considering Armagh minors failed to field in an Ulster championship match yesterday, the trimmings Down are taking in both hurling and football, Antrims fall from grace, its a three horse race.

smelmoth

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 26, 2016, 10:55:30 PM
You obviously don't know much about how the states thing works.

That players reversed their plans for a summer in America after flights, accommodation, jobs etc. We're probably in place is quite a big statement
If the flights were booked on the sunday then you are right I don't know much about how the states thing works.

We get another go at Laois this saturday. I wouldn't expect any starting player to enter the field with any thoughts of "lose this and I'll book the flights tomorrow".

for lads who people like you would have us believe are clinically depressed former footballers frog marched to their punishment in Armagh three times a week.
What are you talking about?

Is there a chink of light in that Armagh have nothing to lose? Maybe.
There is more than a chink of light. We should be beating Laois and given two chances at it there is no excuse.

It really does confound me that o'loughlin's suspension is deemed served though.
Even Jarlath couldn't defend that one.

smelmoth

Quote from: johnneycool on June 27, 2016, 09:00:36 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 25, 2016, 10:58:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2016, 10:33:59 PM
Have you seen Casement Park? Get yer hands off that feckin cup.

This is one  competition  Antrim can win.

Considering Armagh minors failed to field in an Ulster championship match yesterday, the trimmings Down are taking in both hurling and football, Antrims fall from grace, its a three horse race.

The Armagh thing is specific to the state of the underage game in the county. It will happen to football too. We will still be able to filed as we are not relying on a small number of clubs as we are in hurling but numbers at clubs in football is falling. A few honorable exceptions.

illdecide

Smelmoth is your surname Fearon by any chance ;D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

smelmoth

Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2016, 09:48:53 AM
Smelmoth is your surname Fearon by any chance ;D

Tony and I are hardly friends. I was sitting 2 yards from him the last day out. As the mood descended at the end of the game I was tempted to introduce myself and tell him just what I thought of him.

DuffleKing

Idiocy must be contactable through vicinity