Munster Championship

Started by tippabu, June 06, 2016, 08:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2016, 08:56:59 PM
I can only go on what I've seen myself with Tipp development squads, and the work they are doing with Rebel Og is way better now than even 4 years ago. Their u14 footballers have been together as a squad since November!

That's not good. Who chooses who is elect at age of 13. Hmmm, I suspect there are hot house flowers, pushy parents and 'impressionable' coaches in there?
I ve seen this. Kids that don't get chosen and think they are as good (often they are) sulk and give the game up.
My club had numbers for 3 teams under 14 and are now scrabbling around for numbers to field one minor team. This elitist shite was a major factor. It stank of nepotism. The hothouse flowers wilted in time. There will be no Mayo minor panellist year from senior clubs like Knockmore or Ballina. It's not the full story but somebody judging kids at 13 years of age is not a good thing.

AZOffaly

Not sure how it works in Mayo but i know we run divisional trials and squads and then move into county. We probably look at 200+ in total. Then the same thing happens again at u15, u16 and u17. There's no closed shop.

Another thing we do is emphasize that club is #1. They are with us for maybe 12-14 sessions in total at u14, including games, and we would never stop them doing anything with their clubs. For example this week there is no activity at all as clubs prepare for the hurling Féile.

I suppose its like anything else and has its downfalls but I believe in its totality it is definitely needed in places like Tipperary.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

First time on here since weekend but just to congratulate Tipp Footballers (and Tipp Abu + any other Tipp heads - AZ do you qualify here?  ;) ) on the historic win on Sunday. It has been coming with a while and I think its good for football in Munster having a result like that. I can imagine it's a huge boost to all Tipp football people aswell I know there a lot of people doing fierce work with underage squads and other teams behind the scenes. Also feels only right seeing the likes of Quinlivan, Acheson, Fox, Hannigan, Sweeney celebrating a big win. They are all top class footballers and would grace a lot of county teams.

Hope Tipp bring a big crowd (including bandwagoners!) to Killarney now on July 3rd. Should be an interesting change of scenery.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

ashman

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 14, 2016, 05:22:23 PM
First time on here since weekend but just to congratulate Tipp Footballers (and Tipp Abu + any other Tipp heads - AZ do you qualify here?  ;) ) on the historic win on Sunday. It has been coming with a while and I think its good for football in Munster having a result like that. I can imagine it's a huge boost to all Tipp football people aswell I know there a lot of people doing fierce work with underage squads and other teams behind the scenes. Also feels only right seeing the likes of Quinlivan, Acheson, Fox, Hannigan, Sweeney celebrating a big win. They are all top class footballers and would grace a lot of county teams.

Hope Tipp bring a big crowd (including bandwagoners!) to Killarney now on July 3rd. Should be an interesting change of scenery.

Think tipp have a good record in munster finals in Killarney , albeit with a small ball !!!!!

tippabu

So are we all expecting tipp to pull off an "iceland" on sunday?!! Unfortunately i dont, i did give us a great chance of catching cork and said it here before the game. Im not completely ruling out a massive shock but im certainly travelling in hope rather than expectation. We definitely seem to be on the right side of the draw and with a bit of luck reaching an all ireland 1/4 final this year would be great progression and and a big set up to build on from next year. Anyway thats for later, roll on sunday first

Zulu

Hope this is a good game. Tipp at full strength would have a real shot at this but can't see them winning without many of their very best players. Hopefully they'll give a good account of themselves though.

Zulu

Great start by Tipp but finding it very difficult to breakdown Kerry's very defensive set up. Tipp 1-03 Kerry 0-04

Cunny Funt

Good game Tipperary holding their own so far.

Syferus

Put a fork in it.

Pity Tipp can't defend as they've already shown they can get at a weak Kerry defence that's relying heavily on numbers rather than talent to survive.

Cunny Funt

Last ten minutes Kerry have moved up the gears.

Zulu

Poor game and a worrying portent for the rest of the year. Looks like even the big teams will play with 15 players in their own half and run it from there.

Zulu

Joe Brolly showing he hasn't a clue, saying Tipp playing too defensively when it's Kerry getting everyone behind the ball when Tipp attack. Tipp haven't enough quality or pace to break Kerry down but it isn't like Kerry are setting up traditionally and Tipp are defensive. What he expects them to do is not clear as he just talks in clichés.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Zulu on July 03, 2016, 02:36:42 PM
Poor game and a worrying portent for the rest of the year. Looks like even the big teams will play with 15 players in their own half and run it from there.
Forcing turnovers up the pitch.is crucial to beating a blanket defence

Fuzzman

I love it.
O'Rourke asked permission to speak.
"Joe can I say something"

Systematic fouling and not an Ulster team in sight.

Tony Baloney

Is it just my tv or is the picture quality on RTE One garbage for these matches (via Sky)?