High achieving teams that didn't win the all Ireland

Started by seafoid, June 04, 2016, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Apart from Mayo and Cork  :o
Kildare had a decent team in 1998 to 2000 who didn't manage it. Galway mid 80s.  Who else ?

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2016, 01:03:34 PM
Apart from Mayo and Cork  :o
Kildare had a decent team in 1998 to 2000 who didn't manage it. Galway mid 80s.  Who else ?

Cork won an All Ireland in 2010. Galway in the early 70's were quality and didn't win an All Ireland. Galway lost 3 finals in a row in the 1940's , the Galway hurlers since 88 have racked up the All Ireland final losses .
God I don't know why I have given oxygen to this shite talk but look Seafoid if Mayo do win an All Ireland which we all know is yours and a small minority of Galway fans biggest fear just go pontificate about the middle East or keep pretending you have read Ulysses or whatever else you can fill your days with!!!

Mods as a nice summertime present could you please merge all shitman's Mayo will never win the All Ireland before Galway will threads please , just so the rest of us can steer clear??

Itchy

Cavan in the 60s, split ulster titles with Down. Down won 3 all Ireland's and that last great Cavan team won none.

T Fearon

If teams didn't win All Irelands how could they be described as "high achieving teams?"

waterfordlad

Waterford hurlers with 4 Munster titles between 2002 and 2010 and a National League in 2007 but only made it to one All Ireland final where we were hammered by Kilkenny. Hopefully the new team which are showing promise and already have a League title can do it as 1959 is a long time ago!

Schkite

If we're going by the teams in the first post then Monaghan of the mid-80s would be similar. Many of that group won 3 Ulsters and a National League.

ashman

Quote from: waterfordlad on June 04, 2016, 02:13:36 PM
Waterford hurlers with 4 Munster titles between 2002 and 2010 and a National League in 2007 but only made it to one All Ireland final where we were hammered by Kilkenny. Hopefully the new team which are showing promise and already have a League title can do it as 1959 is a long time ago!

Probably the best ever hurling team to watch but the defence was an Achilles heel.

The current team has a better defence in both personnel & structure . 

seafoid

Quote from: waterfordlad on June 04, 2016, 02:13:36 PM
Good call

trentoneill15

Mayo of 1990s and 2000s, Derry won one and I would view Mayo as a far stronger footballing county than Derry however I recall Derry beating a strong Mayo side in a rainy Celtic Park in 2007.

BennyCake

seafoid

Roscommon late 70s. 4 in a row Connacht champions. Had some class players.  Got to the 1980 final but lost. Unlucky to have been around in an era when Connacht teams didn't win big.

didlyi

The Waterford hurlers! Maybe their luck will change soon

ONeill

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2016, 04:50:12 PM
Roscommon late 70s. 4 in a row Connacht champions. Had some class players.  Got to the 1980 final but lost. Unlucky to have been around in an era when Connacht teams didn't win big.

Wasn't there a Roscommon club team around that time which kept falling at the final hurdle or close to it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2016, 11:21:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2016, 04:50:12 PM

Wasn't there a Roscommon club team around that time which kept falling at the final hurdle or close to it?
Clann na nGael. Awful mi adh