Muhammad Ali

Started by DrinkingHarp, June 04, 2016, 04:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Lovely tribute from President Higgins.

Many will remember the wit, grace and beauty he brought to boxing and some will recall his visits to Ireland. All over the world people also flocked to hear him offer his view on the achievement of democracy and particularly equal rights when they were so strikingly missing in some of the richest countries of the world. He brought his message of freedom and respect for people of all races to all the continents of the world.

As a sportsman and humanitarian, and as someone who struggled for a very long time with one of the most debilitating illnesses, he offered courage in the face of great difficulties. He was intent on going on communicating right to the very end.

ziggy90

Only right he should have his own thread, well done Dh.
RIP The Greatest.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

"No viet cong ever called me nigger" was one of the finest lines from a sportsperson ever.

maigheo

probably not the place for it today but it always bothered me the way he treated Joe Frazier before there first fight.  RIP

passedit

http://documentaryheaven.com/when-we-were-kings/

George speaking very well on a number of interviews today.
Don't Panic

longballin

Quote from: maigheo on June 04, 2016, 01:28:11 PM
probably not the place for it today but it always bothered me the way he treated Joe Frazier before there first fight.  RIP

he wasn't perfect but he was iconic.

BennyHarp

I know what you mean but I've read quite a few biographies of Ali and he repeated on many occasions of his regret about his treatment of Frazier. I got the impression that at times when Ali felt he was genuinely going to have a war with someone he had to build the fight into more than a boxing fight. He wasn't perfect by any means but he was definitely one of the iconic figures of a generation, who in my opinion was the most influential sportsman of all time. Below is a passage from one of the biographies...

"Ali has said several times that he regretted the way he treated Joe Frazier leading up to the Manilla fight. Right after the fight. He cleared the locker room of reporters and handlers except for his trainer and medical staff because he wanted to speak with Frazier's son, Marvis. Ali told Marvis to tell his father he was sorry for what he said, further stating that Frazier was a great fighter and a great man. Marvis went back to his father's locker room, relayed the apology and Joe Frazier said, "He didn't say it to my face." Ali has since expressed his contrition several times, going so far as to say "Frazier was the roughest and toughest" fighter he ever faced, adding, "I'm sorry Joe's still mad at me for the things I said but if God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe Frazier on my side."
That was never a square ball!!

Cunny Funt

The greatest training in Ireland 1972.

RIP

laoislad

Don't count the days, make the days count.
So simple but so true.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

maigheo

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 04, 2016, 03:16:54 PM

I know what you mean but I've read quite a few biographies of Ali and he repeated on many occasions of his regret about his treatment of Frazier. I got the impression that at times when Ali felt he was genuinely going to have a war with someone he had to build the fight into more than a boxing fight. He wasn't perfect by any means but he was definitely one of the iconic figures of a generation, who in my opinion was the most influential sportsman of all time. Below is a passage from one of the biographies...

"Ali has said several times that he regretted the way he treated Joe Frazier leading up to the Manilla fight. Right after the fight. He cleared the locker room of reporters and handlers except for his trainer and medical staff because he wanted to speak with Frazier's son, Marvis. Ali told Marvis to tell his father he was sorry for what he said, further stating that Frazier was a great fighter and a great man. Marvis went back to his father's locker room, relayed the apology and Joe Frazier said, "He didn't say it to my face." Ali has since expressed his contrition several times, going so far as to say "Frazier was the roughest and toughest" fighter he ever faced, adding, "I'm sorry Joe's still mad at me for the things I said but if God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe Frazier on my side."
Yeah fair enough and no doubt about it he was the most iconic sportsman of our time.Saw him one time in atlantic city after a big fight walking down the boardwalk and every body started walking alongside him.Nobody bothered him or asked for autographs ,it just seemed being in his presence was enough.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2016, 03:40:08 PM
Don't count the days, make the days count.
So simple but so true.

I like it.
MWWSI 2017

mouview

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 04, 2016, 03:16:54 PM

Agree with this. Perhaps the most (and first) influential and iconic sportsman there's been.
But The Greatest? At what? Don't think anyone who really knows boxing regards him as the greatest fighter there has been - this accolade often reserved for either of the Sugar Rays. Some have said his avoidance of the draft was self-serving and his conversion to Islam convenient. As shown above, he didn't always treat his opponents with respect, and was a serially-unfaithful husband.

So, charismatic, yes hugely, but I don't entirely buy into this Greatest malarkey which I think was often a profitable cover.