Donegal v Fermanagh - Sunday 12th June 2016

Started by FermPundit, May 31, 2016, 12:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Fermanagh know this is going to be a tough game fuzzman.
No doubt about that and that's the reason we are 4/1.
I just don't think we have the baggage that Tyrone would have in playing Domegal.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

cluaineois

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 07, 2016, 02:51:33 PM
I think Fermanagh will find this game a lot tougher than they imagine. Donegal might not have the youth and energy of 3 or 4 years ago but they still have a very well oiled system which if you remember last year beat Tyrone with a bit to spare. In their own back yard they are still a formidable side with some new young lads coming through from U21s. I think that they had no interest in doing well in the national league as they didn't want the extra matches against Dublin and Kerry.
I think we are seeing more and more this year that the teams who have been playing this brand of defensive football were they suck you in and then break at pace is beating teams who would normally put up a decent showing. Donegal have been at this since McGuinness's days and so they are much further down the line at it than Fermanagh are. I think Fermanagh v Cavan would be a much more close affair but Donegal will have too many scoring threats who are used to beating a defensive system.

I would imagine with the miles they have on the clock they were happy to lie in the long grass waiting for June & July to come along but should they lose they might even prefer a run in the qualifiers as a semi final v Monaghan and a final v Tyrone will be tough matches before an AI quarterfinal.
Hadn't realised that Tyrone had already qualified for ulster final Fuzzman
once your a clone your never alone

macdanger2

Quote from: Emmett on June 07, 2016, 12:20:48 PM
Donegal will obviously be a force in Ballybofey but I feel this will be the first Championship match of the year to be in the melting pot with 10 minutes to go.

NY vs Roscommon was tight enough right to the end!

T Fearon

Fermanagh won't get within 6 points of Donegal.Last year's flash in the pan is irrelvant

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 08, 2016, 11:15:41 PM
Quote from: Emmett on June 07, 2016, 12:20:48 PM
Donegal will obviously be a force in Ballybofey but I feel this will be the first Championship match of the year to be in the melting pot with 10 minutes to go.

NY vs Roscommon was tight enough right to the end!
We were 6 up with 10 to go
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Anyone heard any talk Michael Murphy isn't 100%?

If he doesn't feature or is a good way off fitness, it increases Fermanagh's chances substantially imo.

No Durcan in goal and a lack of decent options midfield could mean Donegal might be in a bit of bother as regards kickouts.

Donegal's have lost the last 5 games in a row, albeit against Division 1 opposition. Fermanagh have drawn their last 2 games (against Tyrone and Galway) and were mixed enough in their other league games 2 wins over Meath and Laois and loses to Derry, Armagh and Cavan so their form isn't exactly anything to write home about.

I think Donegal will win but it will be a fair bit tighter than folk are expecting.

J70

I think most Donegal people ARE expecting a tight game.

There have been rumours all right about Murphy, but I think Rory Gallagher said he was looking all right and it was just a minor ankle strain. But maybe he had a setback.

babarino

If there's going to be a surprise in Ulster, this game will most likely give it.

Donegal come through and there'll all narrow favourites/underdogs.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2016, 09:26:49 PM
I think most Donegal people ARE expecting a tight game.

There have been rumours all right about Murphy, but I think Rory Gallagher said he was looking all right and it was just a minor ankle strain. But maybe he had a setback.

Yeah I think Donegal folk are realistic about this but I think that a lot outside Donegal are taking Fermanagh a bit for granted.

StephenC

Donegal Team

1. McGinley
2. Paddy McGrath
3. Neil McGee
4. Karl Lacey
5. Ryan McHugh
6. Frank McGlynn
7. Tony Thompson
8. Rory Kavanagh
9. Hugh McFadden
10. Leo McLoone
11. Martin McElhinney
12. Odhran MacNiallais
13. Paddy McBrearty
14. Michael Murphy
15. Marty O'Reilly

J70

Fermanagh team:

1 Christopher Snow (St Joseph's)
2 Mickey Jones (Derrygonnelly)   
3 Che Cullen (Belnaleck)   
4 Marty O'Brien (Devenish)
5 Declan McCusker (St Joseph's)   
6 James McMahon (Roslea)
7 Barry Mulrone (Devenish)
8 Eoin Donnelly (Coa)   
9 Aidan Breen (Tempo)
10 Paul McCusker (St Joseph's)   
11 Ryan Jones (Derrygonnelly)   
12 Richard O'Callaghan (Enniskillen Gaels)
13 Ruairí Corrigan (Kinawley)   
14 Sean Quigley (Roslea)   
15 Tomás Corrigan (Kinawley)

J70

Quote from: StephenC on June 10, 2016, 03:49:01 PM
Donegal Team

1. McGinley
2. Paddy McGrath
3. Neil McGee
4. Karl Lacey
5. Ryan McHugh
6. Frank McGlynn
7. Tony Thompson
8. Rory Kavanagh
9. Hugh McFadden
10. Leo McLoone
11. Martin McElhinney
12. Odhran MacNiallais
13. Paddy McBrearty
14. Michael Murphy
15. Marty O'Reilly

With the exception of Eamon McGee missing out and McElhinney starting, predictable enough. Hugh McFadden was widely expected to replace Neil Gallagher.

Doubt if Lacey will start corner back on a man-marking job though at his age. And its been six years since he played that role at intercounty level. Perhaps Eamon will be drafted in after all?

StephenC

Quote from: J70 on June 10, 2016, 08:14:10 PM
Quote from: StephenC on June 10, 2016, 03:49:01 PM
Donegal Team

1. McGinley
2. Paddy McGrath
3. Neil McGee
4. Karl Lacey
5. Ryan McHugh
6. Frank McGlynn
7. Tony Thompson
8. Rory Kavanagh
9. Hugh McFadden
10. Leo McLoone
11. Martin McElhinney
12. Odhran MacNiallais
13. Paddy McBrearty
14. Michael Murphy
15. Marty O'Reilly

With the exception of Eamon McGee missing out and McElhinney starting, predictable enough. Hugh McFadden was widely expected to replace Neil Gallagher.

Doubt if Lacey will start corner back on a man-marking job though at his age. And its been six years since he played that role at intercounty level. Perhaps Eamon will be drafted in after all?

Predictable enough all right. Has an air of Paddy at FF on his own.
Wonder has Eamon a knock or just dropped? If Karl isn't fit for a HB role I'm not sure he should be in the 15 at all.

FermGael

Quote from: J70 on June 10, 2016, 08:11:22 PM
Fermanagh team:

1 Christopher Snow (St Joseph's)
2 Mickey Jones (Derrygonnelly)   
3 Che Cullen (Belnaleck)   
4 Marty O'Brien (Devenish)
5 Declan McCusker (St Joseph's)   
6 James McMahon (Roslea)
7 Barry Mulrone (Devenish)
8 Eoin Donnelly (Coa)   
9 Aidan Breen (Tempo)
10 Paul McCusker (St Joseph's)   
11 Ryan Jones (Derrygonnelly)   
12 Richard O'Callaghan (Enniskillen Gaels)
13 Ruairí Corrigan (Kinawley)   
14 Sean Quigley (Roslea)   
15 Tomás Corrigan (Kinawley)

Fermanagh are probably lining out as expected.
Should have a bit more physicality around the middle and another good option for kickouts.
Feel it is vital that we put pressure on the Donegal kickout
Good range of options on the bench as well.
4 forwards named so I would say the Fermanagh tactics are fairly obvious.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Mayoffs

Fermanagh 5/1 on PP worth a few quid, 12/1 for the draw
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)