Meath vs Antrim - Christy Ring Final

Started by thejuice, May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

As with time keeping, the referee is the sole arbiter of score keeping in a game. Most refs at any decent level and certainly inter county would normally have one of their umpires keep note of the score for reassurance. It would appear to me that the Ref in this instance has recorded the score correctly but tallied it incorrectly and in doing so failed to correct the result as shown on the score board. The scoreboard though is irrelevant it is what he recorded that counts. I feel for him as in a game where there were so many scores and Meath catching up at the end it is easy to count incorrectly. Fair play to him for admitting his error, that took guts. That said I find it difficult to fathom why he didn't take time to check his score (and that of his umpire if he was counting). It appears he accepted the scoreboard as correct. As I have said before the result as reported by the ref is the correct score, awarding the trophy on the basis of the score board was the GAA's fault. How many times at the end of close run club games have any of you waited till the ref tallied up, I know I've done it loads, so why did he not tally up and check. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2016, 02:48:40 PM
I feel sorry for Meath on this one. How often are we told it is a game of inches, fastest game in the world, etc. The last few minutes of a tight game can be a complete blur and, when the whistle goes, if you get the cup then that should be that.

And to be fair to Antrim, anyone would feel aggrieved if they were awarded a loss when they definitely drew.

A replay is a farce at this stage.

What should be happening here is Croke Park needs to give a thorough explanation of what happened with the scoreboard. The players on both teams deserve that as a minimum, not to mention mentors and supporters. Sometimes things feel less like a terrible injustice when you can see an honest mistake and a hand held up apologising for it.
I find it hard to believe the Meath stats man had it wrong.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2016, 02:53:22 PM
As with time keeping, the referee is the sole arbiter of score keeping in a game. Most refs at any decent level and certainly inter county would normally have one of their umpires keep note of the score for reassurance. It would appear to me that the Ref in this instance has recorded the score correctly but tallied it incorrectly and in doing so failed to correct the result as shown on the score board. The scoreboard though is irrelevant it is what he recorded that counts. I feel for him as in a game where there were so many scores and Meath catching up at the end it is easy to count incorrectly. Fair play to him for admitting his error, that took guts. That said I find it difficult to fathom why he didn't take time to check his score (and that of his umpire if he was counting). It appears he accepted the scoreboard as correct. As I have said before the result as reported by the ref is the correct score, awarding the trophy on the basis of the score board was the GAA's fault. How many times at the end of close run club games have any of you waited till the ref tallied up, I know I've done it loads, so why did he not tally up and check.

We are all human. I suspect he saw the scoreboard and thought that he himself (the ref) had made a mistake. That is why we need a statement clearing it all up, starting with the first error on the scoreboard and ending with the ref's score at full time.

Both sidelines apparently were aware of the error at the time. But we are all told to play the ref and if he says you won/lost there is rarely any point in arguing.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2016, 02:57:44 PM

We are all human. I suspect he saw the scoreboard and thought that he himself (the ref) had made a mistake. That is why we need a statement clearing it all up, starting with the first error on the scoreboard and ending with the ref's score at full time.

Both sidelines apparently were aware of the error at the time. But we are all told to play the ref and if he says you won/lost there is rarely any point in arguing.
We are where we are because the score board is irrelevant.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 08, 2016, 02:59:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2016, 02:57:44 PM

We are where we are because the score board is irrelevant.

You keep saying that. But if the scoreboard is what caused the ref to make his mistake, then it needs to be addressed.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

The scoreboard didn't 'cause' anything. The scoreboard is only there as an aid for spectators. That is it's role. The referee is the man, and if he used the scoreboard, or trusted the scoreboard, then that is HIS error, not something 'caused' by the scoreboard.

I find it incredible, in the literal sense, that the relevant stat men, nor the refs umpires, had the correct score on the field.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 03:06:55 PM
The scoreboard didn't 'cause' anything. The scoreboard is only there as an aid for spectators. That is it's role. The referee is the man, and if he used the scoreboard, or trusted the scoreboard, then that is HIS error, not something 'caused' by the scoreboard.

I find it incredible, in the literal sense, that the relevant stat men, nor the refs umpires, had the correct score on the field.

Both teams had the correct score. The ref confirmed the score on the scoreboard.

I understand that the buck stops with the ref, but it is daft to ignore what might have caused his error.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2016, 03:13:31 PM

Both teams had the correct score. The ref confirmed the score on the scoreboard.

I understand that the buck stops with the ref, but it is daft to ignore what might have caused his error.

It didn't "cause" it, unless he allowed it to cause it. Why do you keep saying that? The referee is *not* supposed to rely on an external scoreboard to keep his tally. The absolute best you could say for the ref is that the incorrect scoreboard confused and made him doubt himself. That's where his umpires should have come in to help him.

What would he do on a club pitch in Ballingarry?

AZOffaly

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 03:15:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2016, 03:13:31 PM

It didn't "cause" it, unless he allowed it to cause it. Why do you keep saying that? The referee is *not* supposed to rely on an external scoreboard to keep his tally. The absolute best you could say for the ref is that the incorrect scoreboard confused and made him doubt himself. That's where his umpires should have come in to help him.

What would he do on a club pitch in Ballingarry?

He wasn't on a club pitch in Ballingarry.

He was in Croke Park, in front of the cameras. I never said he relied on anything and I never said the scoreboard 'caused' it.

What I asked for was a statement from Croke Park regarding the scoreboard error.

All I have said is that the ref, like the rest of us, is human and can easily be led into doubting himself. The power of suggestion and/or Confirmation Bias are extremely powerful influences and people are trained in many industries to watch out for traps in these areas. The first step of dealing with that type of error, is moving on from the 'it was your job not to make a mistake' mentality and to try to understand the problem thoroughly.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Ara stop with the pseudo intellectual psycho babble links :) The ref keeps the score. He has an umpire to keep a second tally. At the end they compare notes and confirm they are accurate. That is what this ref has been doing since he took up the whistle.

The scoreboard obviously didn't help, but the ref at least knew there was some sort of element of doubt and should have said so.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 03:27:03 PM
Ara stop with the pseudo intellectual psycho babble links :) The ref keeps the score. He has an umpire to keep a second tally. At the end they compare notes and confirm they are accurate. That is what this ref has been doing since he took up the whistle.

The scoreboard obviously didn't help, but the ref at least knew there was some sort of element of doubt and should have said so.

I am guessing that he saw the scoreboard and <insert/delete a la carte intellectual psycho babble> caused him to believe it must be right. It happens all the time everywhere.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

100%

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2016, 03:32:19 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 03:27:03 PM

I am guessing that he saw the scoreboard and <insert/delete a la carte intellectual psycho babble> caused him to believe it must be right. It happens all the time everywhere.

And that's why he has his mate, aka the umpire, to give him his positive reinforcement or what ever you want to call it. Either way, there has to have been some doubt.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 02:02:46 PM
Apparently there was a score for Antrim which was incorrectly awarded to Meath on the scoreboard. Then when they 'corrected' it by giving it to Antrim, they never removed it from Meath.

Who are the they?

If the referee made the mistake then his tally would be wrong, but the stadium operator and the fourth official would have been right.
If the scoreboard operator made the mistake then the other two would have been right and so forth.

I find it staggering that all three made the same mistake

How is the scoreboard operator synced up with the match officials in Croke Park?