Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 18, 2016, 07:34:35 AM
Quote from: Beffs on June 18, 2016, 01:14:15 AM
That's as well as may be, but this current crop of Mayo players have been winning Connaught titles and consistently getting to All Ireland semi finas and finals, every year this decade. Galways players have not. Mayo will have too much for them.
I predicted earlier that Mayo should win comfortably. My point was Galway do have the players however they are not exposed to the professional preparation that the Mayo players are. I wouldnt go back a decade either. The majority of this panel of Mayo players arrived in 2011 with a win against the defending All Ireland champions Cork against the odds.

Mayo won Connaught last year, got to the AI semi finals and pushed the Dubs harder than any other county. They did all that, even though they had a sub par management set up too. They had the players to see them through the lack of professionalism -  a phrase often used during their own mgt heave last year - in their own preparations. Galway don't.

We can debate all day long whether the Galway players just lack the basic raw talent, or whether they lack managers who could bring the best out of them, or whether they lack a more professional coaching  and preparation set up. It's six of one, half a dozen of another, really. You can ask the same questions about half the teams in the country. Mayo just operate at a much, much higher level than they do, which is why they will win imo.

Syferus

Quote from: Beffs on June 18, 2016, 01:10:20 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 18, 2016, 07:34:35 AM
Quote from: Beffs on June 18, 2016, 01:14:15 AM
That's as well as may be, but this current crop of Mayo players have been winning Connaught titles and consistently getting to All Ireland semi finas and finals, every year this decade. Galways players have not. Mayo will have too much for them.
I predicted earlier that Mayo should win comfortably. My point was Galway do have the players however they are not exposed to the professional preparation that the Mayo players are. I wouldnt go back a decade either. The majority of this panel of Mayo players arrived in 2011 with a win against the defending All Ireland champions Cork against the odds.

Mayo won Connaught last year, got to the AI semi finals and pushed the Dubs harder than any other county. They did all that, even though they had a sub par management set up too. They had the players to see them through the lack of professionalism -  a phrase often used during their own mgt heave last year - in their own preparations. Galway don't.

We can debate all day long whether the Galway players just lack the basic raw talent, or whether they lack managers who could bring the best out of them, or whether they lack a more professional coaching  and preparation set up. It's six of one, half a dozen of another, really. You can ask the same questions about half the teams in the country. Mayo just operate at a much, much higher level than they do, which is why they will win imo.

Sub-par to a bunch of perennial nearly men. Jesus wept. It wasn't C&H that got in Lee Keegan's head and forced a weak effort when unmarked to go six up against Dublin last year.

Cunny Funt

The joint managers from last year won 4 in a row U21s and All Ireland in 2006 they weren't as bad as portrayed now and even if they were this group of Mayo players still had four solid years under Horans management where they weren't going to drop much in one year after he left. Donie Buckley never left by the way a type of coach Galway could do with now.

IolarCoisCuain

Sligonian of this parish has always been a stern critic of the "most respected football man in Galway" Kevin Walsh. Maybe he was onto something?

Beffs

Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
Sub-par to a bunch of perennial nearly men. Jesus wept. It wasn't C&H that got in Lee Keegan's head and forced a weak effort when unmarked to go six up against Dublin last year.

At least they were actually THERE in the AI semi final. For the 5th year in a row. Galway and Roscommon players were away off on their summer holidays and, been for over a month. Take all the shots you want at the Mayo players, but they have achieved a heckuva lot more than the players from any other county in the province. Ergo they are miles better than any other team in the province. Therefore they will win today, fairly easily imo.

mayo.mick

Weather not playing ball....

Latest radar

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Captain Obvious

Mayo will win easily tonight and should be concerned if they don't.

I see the Galway football team like a locomotive laying idle rusting away. You could get one decent man to paint that locomotive and start the engine to keep it ticking over however you will need a team of qualified men to get it moving and to its destination. Cork are similar to Galway but their locomotive is stuck in reverse.

Mayo Club 51

Anyone ever hear of the "Connacht Conference" before? Have to admit, it's a new one on us  ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 18, 2016, 02:36:53 PM
Mayo will win easily tonight and should be concerned if they don't.

I see the Galway football team like a locomotive laying idle rusting away. You could get one decent man to paint that locomotive and start the engine to keep it ticking over however you will need a team of qualified men to get it moving and to its destination. Cork are similar to Galway but their locomotive is stuck in reverse.
Can't make it to the game so I'll have to depend on Mad West to keep me in touch with what's happening in Castlebar. First championship derby I've missed  (I'm nearly sure) since John Morley chased Pateen Donnellan half the length of McHale Park and he wasn't looking for his autograph either! ;D
Anyone know of there will be deferred coverage of the match this evening or tomorrow?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Beffs

Any decent, laptop friendly, streams around for this? Had to take Modbro off my phone.

manfromdelmonte

Lar Naparka

Holy fiddlesticks!
Mayo are scoring wides like they were going out of fashion. Seven after 24 minutes. Awful, bleddy awful!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mayoffs

Quote from: Mayoffs on June 11, 2016, 03:18:41 AM
Don't mean to sound negative here but our forwards need to have a good day to boost confidence. Another high wide tally will sow the seeds of doubt again and even if we scrape through, questions about the ability of this team to score enough points from play will remain. Some fellas need to step up and not be relying on the usual suspects to bail them out by popping over a handy free or show them how it's done off the bench.

We have no forwards. Forget about it.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

joemamas

Comer just took ten steps before pass that led to 5th point
Ref is doing Mayo no favors
Btw Paul Earley is very happy as he does not like Mayo

cicfada

Very poor fare and Mayo would want to improve on this display if they're to challenge for all Ireland honours . They'll probably step it up in the second half but shocking shooting from them .