Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Indeed joemamas, the injury list is very worrying from a Mayo point of view. As you said it's hard to just come back with the click of a finger. I think Galway will give Mayo the fill of it in this game. Any more injuries and an upset is on the cards.

It's a shame Barrett and Parsons seem to get injured almost every year at some stage. They have both plenty to offer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 02:02:27 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 31, 2016, 01:21:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 11:24:43 AM
2013 beaten by 17 points
Galway: M Breathnach; J Duane, C Forde, G Sweeney; G Bradshaw (capt.), K Kelly, G Sice; N Coleman, F O Curraoin; T Flynn, P Conroy (0-1), C Doherty; S Armstrong (0-3, frees), M Meehan (0-5, four frees, 45), D Cummins (0-1).

2014 beaten by 7 points
Galway: M Breathnach; A Tierney, F Hanley, D O'Neill; G Bradshaw (0-01), G O'Donnell, P Varley; F O'Curraoin, T Flynn; M Lundy (0-01), S Walsh (0-07, 5fs), D Comer; P Conroy (0-04), E Hoare, D Cummins (0-01).

2015 beaten by 4 points
Galway: M Breathnach; J Duane, F Hanley (1-00, own goal), C Sweeney; L Silke, G O'Donnell, S Denvir; F Ó Curraoin, P Conroy (0-03, 0-02 frees); G Sice (1-03, 0-02 frees), P Sweeney, T Flynn; D Cummins (1-01), D Comer (0-01), M Lundy.

the trend is your friend
a few  of these would do the job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxnYdka1XIo

I think they should run all day at them . They should have the fitness

It's a sign of the times when Galway football feels it's best shot at Mayo is through fitness.....
I think we have more scoring forwards...
That's more like it!

Blowitupref

Andy Moran said on Midwest radio Sunday evening that none of the Mayo injuries are serious and he expects Mayo to be picking from a full strength panel against Galway. Fintan Ó Curraoin returned to action with his club at the weekend having him back will be a boost to Galway.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

If Mayo want to they could win this by between 15-20 points. Galway don't have the players and Walsh does not help matters either. Mind you Mayo would trample on most teams if in the form.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rudi on May 31, 2016, 04:26:23 PM
If Mayo want to they could win this by between 15-20 points. Galway don't have the players and Walsh does not help matters either. Mind you Mayo would trample on most teams if in the form.

I don't know Rudi. Even if 'in the form' as you put it, there'd probably be a bucket load of wides to keep the other team in the game. At least that's what I've seen all league campaign and I believe not much has changed in that department in London. We'll see how the training week goes anyway for them. Hopefully the injured players get to take part in something over there.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 31, 2016, 04:16:33 PM
Andy Moran said on Midwest radio Sunday evening that none of the Mayo injuries are serious and he expects Mayo to be picking from a full strength panel against Galway. Fintan Ó Curraoin returned to action with his club at the weekend having him back will be a boost to Galway.

Fiontán isn't physical enough, he's grand in a free flowing, open game but he tends to get lost when things get physical. Ronan Steede or Michael Daly would be a better option in here I think but both are gone to USA for the summer/not on the panel anyway so that's a bit of a non starter. It'll be interesting to see who is named at full back, Declan Kyne spent most of the league there but he wasn't too convincing, Eoghan Kerin and David Wynne will most likely be in the corners unless Cathal Sweeney recovers in time but that seems unlikely. Liam Silke will probably be given the job of tracking Diarmuid O'Connor. I'd love to see him bringing the form he had during Corofin's All Ireland run into this game, he did a great job on Diarmuid Connolly when they played Vincent's, that's over a year ago now and he hasn't played anywhere near that level since. Shane Walsh was missed when we played Mayo last year so let's hope he's firing on all cylinders this time round. I really can't see us beating Mayo but who knows!

weareros

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 31, 2016, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2016, 11:24:43 AM
2013 beaten by 17 points
Galway: M Breathnach; J Duane, C Forde, G Sweeney; G Bradshaw (capt.), K Kelly, G Sice; N Coleman, F O Curraoin; T Flynn, P Conroy (0-1), C Doherty; S Armstrong (0-3, frees), M Meehan (0-5, four frees, 45), D Cummins (0-1).

2014 beaten by 7 points
Galway: M Breathnach; A Tierney, F Hanley, D O'Neill; G Bradshaw (0-01), G O'Donnell, P Varley; F O'Curraoin, T Flynn; M Lundy (0-01), S Walsh (0-07, 5fs), D Comer; P Conroy (0-04), E Hoare, D Cummins (0-01).

2015 beaten by 4 points
Galway: M Breathnach; J Duane, F Hanley (1-00, own goal), C Sweeney; L Silke, G O'Donnell, S Denvir; F Ó Curraoin, P Conroy (0-03, 0-02 frees); G Sice (1-03, 0-02 frees), P Sweeney, T Flynn; D Cummins (1-01), D Comer (0-01), M Lundy.

the trend is your friend
a few  of these would do the job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxnYdka1XIo

I think they should run all day at them . They should have the fitness

When it comes to fitness and conditioning Mayo are on a different level to Galway. Five years that Galway have been away from div one football now and this spring they only won 2 games in div 2 if Mayo were in div 2 they would win all 7 games. I think this game on June 18th Mayo will match their winning margin of 2014 v Galway.

There's no doubt that Mayo are far ahead in strength and conditioning in Connacht and I left Hyde Park after the league game pretty disillusioned with the way they physically bossed Roscommon around. Technically they should ate any Connacht team alive. That said they have a lot of players that are not very mobile and don't mean just COC and when Dublin ran the arses off them they were gone with 15 minutes to go and you saw Philly McMahon a full back doing more damage on the scoreboard than any of the Mayo players. Now maybe only Dublin have the athletes to do that and the bench to back it up.
But you never know - a blistering hot day and the big Mayo lads may run out of steam. But that's the type of game Galway would need to execute to have any chance.

larryin89

Nothing whatsoever to suggest Galway have improved by league performances . Drawing against the likes of Armagh is poor when you're lookin to push for promotion.I expect our bucks to devour the fancy dans TBH , Mayo are really up for it by all accounts and will toss all Connacht challengers to one side to make history on their way to HQ . #sixinarow
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Winning 5 in a row and not winning  the All Ireland is very unusual.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

FOC gone to the states for the summer?

ballinaman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 10, 2016, 03:03:01 PM
Could have told you that weeks ago  8), actually I think I did

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 01, 2016, 05:38:07 AM
Winning 5 in a row and not winning  the All Ireland is very unusual.

Not really! The main reason Mayo have been winning these titles is the collapse of Galway football for the last 15 years. Mayo are a just above average team, while to call Galway average at this stage is an overstatement. Still ye have good forwards and play nice football, so that must be a consolation!  ;)

Galway won Connacht titles in 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976 - No All Ireland!
Galway won Connacht titles in 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987 - No All Ireland!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ballinaman on June 10, 2016, 03:27:45 PM

Technically you didn't  ;D

ballinaman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 10, 2016, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 10, 2016, 03:27:45 PM

Technically you didn't  ;D
True but the story of him getting a month off to get an injury cleared up, only to play MOM the following weekend for his club should have raised suspicion of that story.