Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: heffo on June 20, 2016, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2016, 10:02:21 AM
If Mayo have the right attitude they can win the all Ireland . Galway had a similar experience when Ros beat them in the first round in 2001 but they used it as motivation.  Mayo might pick up a forward or two on the scenic route.

Galway also had a team who'd won the AI three years previously - no comparison imo
Mayo should have won the all Ireland at least once in recent years so it is valid imo

rosnarun

1st thing i d say it was just one of those days for Both Mayo and Galway , some of their windiest players had great days and some of mayos most reliable had stinkers
This Mayo team is old enough and bold enough to Put a bad day behind them.
your not going to win many games shooting 10 wides in the 1st half and that just took the wind out of their sails in the 2nd as Galway improved ,
Lets keep the faith while were in the championship any way , then the back biting and recriminations can commence
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Has anyone mentioned the player coup-d'etat yet? That normally gets an airing fairly quickly after a result like that.

Mayo4Sam

Very poor application on Saturday evening was my viewing of it. Lets call a spade a spade, the game was won with 10 mins gone in the second half, we should have been easing away but didn't steady the ship after the goal.

With the right attitude a run in the qualifiers could do us the world of good but we don't have a great track record in the qualifiers which is why it scares the bejaysus out of most of us. However these lads have NEVER played in the qualifiers, Longford is a distant memory.

The big negatives from Saturday:

• The team as a whole, where were the leaders after the galway goal, just get ur hands on the ball and steady the ship FFS
  • Hennelly - FFS what does he have to do to get dropped. Its at least one major mistake in every big game
  • Regan - great showing and winning of the ball but zero end product. There seems to be so much there but its like he doesn't realise that he needs to stay on his feet and protect the ball. Needs to be taken aside by a good coach because its clear the raw talent is there but we need him to cop on.
  • Cillian - seemed on Saturday to have stopped the lethal passes he used to make in order to take his own shots. Very poor
  • Rochford - It was like he was shell shocked. It was clearly moving away from us after their goal, where was DOC, Andy and Freeman? Why were there two lads dead on their feet in the full back line?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 20, 2016, 09:36:01 AM
A great and very important win for us on Sat evening.  Some immense performances all around the pitch and delighted with how all the new lads performed.  Flynn's goal gave the team that boost of confidence that the game was there for the winning and the last 20 mins was quite impressive with some great scores.  I was honestly surprised that Mayo couldn't / didn't respond during that period and they didn't seem as fit as Galway?  Maybe they have the training tailored for later in the year and I would fully expect them to be around for the quarter finals in Aug and possibly beyond.

I can't imagine that Mayo were not fit or conditioned correctly. They've been way ahead of the rest of Connacht at the very least in terms of physical conditioning over the past 5 or 6 years. I just think in the life cycle of any side there are only so many times they can go back to the well to try and win a game when it's put up to them. Mayo just couldn't seem to summon the reserves the last day and Galway were also probably more organised defensively than they've been for a long time. Once Galway got the goal and a few points after I expected a huge Mayo push but it never really materialised and Galway held on fairly comfortably in the end. Would not write Mayo off though. Hard to see that many sides in the qualifiers who could beat them. Granted nobody thought Galway would either.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on June 19, 2016, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 19, 2016, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 19, 2016, 10:36:55 PM
Totally agree on u21's, bigger issue is lack of forward coaching over last five years to seven years, incredible to think we have maybe one forward who has progress from minor level to senior, truly pathetic. I would love to know who has that detail, as I feel they have failed miserably

This group of seniors owe nothing to Mayo fans they have been incredible.
The BS about H and C from last year is nonsense, Anybody who thinks differently should look at Peter Canavans analysis yesterday on Mayo V Dublin last year.

Having said that Mayo looked listless after ten minutes and it did not change much for hour and ten minutes.

Best to forget it, I also fear for the back door, we may win a game and then mail it in just like a tired Donegal did in 2013
Where did he write that? There's been enough hot air generated by the likes of Eugene McGee and Colm O'Rourke and their ilk about the removal of H&C and the effrontery of the players involved, to power Sellafield for a week. Chancers without a clue of what went on and were too lazy to go and find out.
I'd love find out what Peter the Great had to say on the subject. As an analyst, he's miles in front of the gobdaws I've mentioned.

All goes back to Autumn 2014 when Paddy Mac and a few other officers of the board, who had the responsibility for the future of a damn good senior team in their hands after James Horan left. They acted with a duplicity that would have put medieval cardinals in conclave to shame.
As a result we ve ended up with managers that got the gig by default. It's been damaging. Hopefully Rochford can recover from yesterday's nightmare ( it was a nightmare; I wouldn't like to have to stand over yesterdays effort).
I know moy. I've been able to piece together a good deal of what led to the parting pof the ways and, without wishing Noel and Pateen any harm, I back the players 100%.
What bugs me is the way the likes of McGee and O'Rourke, amongst others, waded into the controversy to give their tuppence worth without having an effin' clue of what went on.
McGee had over half a page in his Indo column that started by saying that details were not available to hand but...
Then the hoor went on to spout a load of bile even though he had professed he knew nothing about what went on. But what really goat my goat was one of the closing paragraphs that began with "In the absence of hard facts, we are entitled to believe..."
Now if the bustard had taken the trouble to read the previous day's Sindo, he'd find a pretty detailed and accurate summary of events...
O'Rourke had a picture of a dejected Keith Higgins sitting on his bum in the aftermath of the loss to Dublin last year with the caption, "Keith Higgins, the best Mayo defender for years. Whose fault was it that he got skinned by Paddy Andrews?"
Any fool could have told him that it was the management's fault that nothing was done to counteract this. (Assuming one would agree with what he said.)
There would have been no public controversy and no guarantee that H&C would have been forced to walk the plank if some frigger on the county board hadn't leaked the contents of the players' letter to the executive.
Dunno what happened on Saturday and I'm too shagged to talk about it but we'll sort things out in our own good time and the fine team hasn't gone away just yet.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

The performances of the 5 Galway debutants was also a big factor in the win. What everyone thought would be a big weakness to be exploited turned into a strength on the day. The keeper and both corner backs making their championship debuts. Kyne at full-back may as well have been also. Think he had played only 2 minutes of championship football before. All played well. Power in goal looks like he wintered well but his kickouts were generally excellent and I'm sure that's the main reason he was promoted from the Galway junior team. It was a big problem area for Galway during the league. Eamon Brannigan up front kicked 0-3 from play on his debut. Heaney scored 0-1 although probably should have scored a goal from that chance he had. Couldn't have asked for much more from the debutants.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 20, 2016, 12:54:27 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 20, 2016, 09:36:01 AM
A great and very important win for us on Sat evening.  Some immense performances all around the pitch and delighted with how all the new lads performed.  Flynn's goal gave the team that boost of confidence that the game was there for the winning and the last 20 mins was quite impressive with some great scores.  I was honestly surprised that Mayo couldn't / didn't respond during that period and they didn't seem as fit as Galway?  Maybe they have the training tailored for later in the year and I would fully expect them to be around for the quarter finals in Aug and possibly beyond.

I can't imagine that Mayo were not fit or conditioned correctly. They've been way ahead of the rest of Connacht at the very least in terms of physical conditioning over the past 5 or 6 years. I just think in the life cycle of any side there are only so many times they can go back to the well to try and win a game when it's put up to them. Mayo just couldn't seem to summon the reserves the last day and Galway were also probably more organised defensively than they've been for a long time. Once Galway got the goal and a few points after I expected a huge Mayo push but it never really materialised and Galway held on fairly comfortably in the end. Would not write Mayo off though. Hard to see that many sides in the qualifiers who could beat them. Granted nobody thought Galway would either.
Yeah, I would normally have the same opinion GBB in terms of Mayo's conditioning as its definitely one area where they have excelled in the past but they just seemed out on their feet for the last quarter.  Maybe it was just a general malaise thru the team on Sat evening or they are tailored towards later in the year and thought they had the reserves already in the tank to get through this one comfortably enough, as did most people.  They will have a big say yet before the year is out though, but still probably lacking the fire-power to grab sam.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 20, 2016, 12:39:11 PM

With the right attitude a run in the qualifiers could do us the world of good but we don't have a great track record in the qualifiers which is why it scares the bejaysus out of most of us. However these lads have NEVER played in the qualifiers, Longford is a distant memory.

D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey; D Vaughan, K Higgins, K McLoughlin; S O'Shea,; A Moran, A O'Shea, A Dillon;, B Moran, A Freeman, T Parsons all played that qualifier against Longford and all will likely play in this years qualifiers.

joemamas

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2016, 12:38:18 PM
Has anyone mentioned the player coup-d'etat yet? That normally gets an airing fairly quickly after a result like that.

Not really, as I would say based on a lot reports from last year, the co- managers seemed to be in over their skis.
In addition, this is not a fly by night group of footballers, they have been on the road for six years and have dedicated a ton of time and effort to reach the summit, unfortunately it seems as far away as ever now.

joemamas

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 19, 2016, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 19, 2016, 10:36:55 PM
Totally agree on u21's, bigger issue is lack of forward coaching over last five years to seven years, incredible to think we have maybe one forward who has progress from minor level to senior, truly pathetic. I would love to know who has that detail, as I feel they have failed miserably

This group of seniors owe nothing to Mayo fans they have been incredible.
The BS about H and C from last year is nonsense, Anybody who thinks differently should look at Peter Canavans analysis yesterday on Mayo V Dublin last year.

Having said that Mayo looked listless after ten minutes and it did not change much for hour and ten minutes.

Best to forget it, I also fear for the back door, we may win a game and then mail it in just like a tired Donegal did in 2013
Where did he write that? There's been enough hot air generated by the likes of Eugene McGee and Colm O'Rourke and their ilk about the removal of H&C and the effrontery of the players involved, to power Sellafield for a week. Chancers without a clue of what went on and were too lazy to go and find out.
I'd love find out what Peter the Great had to say on the subject. As an analyst, he's miles in front of the gobdaws I've mentioned.

Peter Canavan gave an in studio analysis on Sky Saturday, on how naive/poorly Mayo were set up last year.

Bigger issue Lar is bigger issue is lack of forward coaching over last five years to seven years, incredible to think we have maybe one forward who has progress from minor level to senior, truly pathetic. I would love to know who has that detail, as I feel they have failed miserably.

This should be a topic for the "county board to address", if it is not addressed, we may be having the same conversation in another ten years. Forward play comes down to good football skills and good coaching at u16 and u 18 level. In Mayo by all accounts the focus appears to be elsewhere. 

rosnarun

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 20, 2016, 01:51:06 PM

D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey; D Vaughan, K Higgins, K McLoughlin; S O'Shea,; A Moran, A O'Shea, A Dillon;, B Moran, A Freeman, T Parsons all played that qualifier against Longford and all will likely play in this years qualifiers.

I cant see  D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey; D Vaughan, ,; A Moran,  A Dillon;, B Moran, or  A Freeman,  having a huge rol the next day for various reasons
but even if they doo they are older and wiser and if complacency had any thing to do with Saturday it will be well gone now.
rochford had a stinker but he one of the newest Guys on the team and played v little intercounty himself so he may have needed a while to adapt to this level.
in the S&C front mayo in Barry solan have one of the countries top coaches he has  worked with Kt taylor, Polish soccer team Laois footballers and now Working for Arsenal
and what ever happened to the saviour from Kiltaine? that was gonna rock the scene a couple of years back
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on June 20, 2016, 02:33:28 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 20, 2016, 01:51:06 PM

I cant see  D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey; D Vaughan, ,; A Moran,  A Dillon;, B Moran, or  A Freeman,  having a huge rol the next day for various reasons
but even if they doo they are older and wiser and if complacency had any thing to do with Saturday it will be well gone now.
rochford had a stinker but he one of the newest Guys on the team and played v little intercounty himself so he may have needed a while to adapt to this level.
in the S&C front mayo in Barry solan have one of the countries top coaches he has  worked with Kt taylor, Polish soccer team Laois footballers and now Working for Arsenal
and what ever happened to the saviour from Kiltaine? that was gonna rock the scene a couple of years back

Time to jettison Moneybags Buckley and save a few quid me thinks.

larryin89

Well done Galway and the best of luck in CF.

We were very poor , slow ,deliberate and heavy legged for the most part.

Boyler stood up , Regan done ok but supply  into him was too slow and obvious . Cillian had a stinker , Aido was muck , neither looked fit or near fired up enough for championship . The mcgloughlin experiment was pure rubbish , why people think it worked to an extent is beyond me , his zonal positioning was off too .

Was the London training camp to close to the game , how does the date compare to other years does anyone know , as in time allowed for recovery from camp to game ?

Parsons didn't do great either , why didn't he chase Flynn like his life depended on it , so many lethargic efforts like that from numerous players . Cillian had a ball coming in to him low down in one play ,he didn't fancy it and let it spill that would not of happend in previous years , is he 100% ?

Clarke is our number one , henelly will make mistakes as well as pull off the greatest saves you'll see but safety is paramount in the last line and he just doesn't command like Clarke does.

Overall it was a poor day at the office for SR and co , they failed their first test . 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

oliverkelly

See on few forums talk about some rumour and discontent in the Mayo camp. Any Mayo posters care to share what supposedly is going on? Not sure if its same rumour I heard about basically AOS trying pick the team and wasn't happy brother was dropped