Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 19, 2016, 12:50:31 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 19, 2016, 10:11:25 AM
Anyone know what the final wide tally was for both sides?

I know Mayo had 10 wides at the half-way mark and Galway had a fairly high number as well.
Mayo 12 Galway 9 I think it was. Galway created 2 or 3 other goal chances I can't recall Mayo creating any goal chance.

Boyler was in on goal in the first half and was taken down outside the box. No black, No yellow? The same happened in the second half to a Galway player - No black, No yellow?

Duine Eile

What an evening! Delighted for those lads yesterday, they've had some stick all week about not being good enough and how Mayo only had to show up to win, well that was some answer! Every one of them, including the famous five debutants gave their all for as long as they could, you couldn't fault them for commitment. Plenty to improve on but this will have brought on their confidence in leaps and bounds. A lot has been said about the lads that turned down the chance to join the panel (from myself included!) but you couldn't question the desire and commitment from the lads that were out there yesterday, they went out, did what they were asked and got the job done. Mayo didn't get going at all yesterday, right up til the end I was waiting for a long ball into Aidan O'Shea or for COC throw over a couple of points but they never came. They haven't become a bad team overnight and I'd expect them to get through the qualifiers without too much bother even though some of the tactics were a bit strange I thought, Lee Keegan at full back at one stage?

oliverkelly

Will Mayo players now get rid of Rochford? He has been terrible with them and after way the players treated last years management the should be ashamed of themselves.
I am not one bit surprised by yesterday's result. Mayo have no forwards I would say they have one of the worst 5 forward lines in the country. DOC is only forward the have.COC can only hit frees can't score from play simple as. Everyone was on about regan but he has done nothing got man of match in few game he didn't deserve it against Roscommon in the league he scored a goal that should been free out for over carrying and then scores few against a shite Down side and London and everyone thinks he's next big thing. Mayo are finished. Well done Galway and look forward to final should be great game

moysider

Well done to Galway posters on here. Their team showed great resolve and hunger. Won comfortably in the end.

I wouldn t mind losing too much but the lack of urgency and game management in last quarter was worrying and unacceptable from a team of this experience. Remember this is the same team that took the fight to Kerry with 14 men 2 years ago.
Against a young team yesterday and playing at home they should have been knocking down the doors yesterday in last 20 mins and Galway should have had their backs to the wall. But they were easily able to keep clear. Similar scenarios developed in league games when even a few points lead against us never looked like being clawed back.

The usual old chestnuts will be thrown out but this game was lost from back to front literally. Yesterday was a system failure and everybody involved needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yesterday I thought our setup for far too 'clever', experimental and complicated. Inevitably it was poorly executed. When players started to play their natural strengths just before half time we looked like we could boss the game.
I m not optimistic about the qualifiers but you never know. If they have any temper left there has to be a backlash. Changes are needed in approach - we need to go back more to running game- and there is at least one glaring change needed in personnel. Individually a good few Mayo lads played quite well.

galwayman

I would agree with you moy - Mayo are at their best when they play a hard running game from deep attacking in waves.
They were exceptional playing this way under Horan & it was very difficult to defend against.
Still reckon ye could do well through the qualifiers.
Nobody will fancy drawing ye

ZeitChrist

Mayo's lack of energy should be cause for concern. Off the pace all over the pitch and actually didn't even look very fit. It's good to see Connaught being injected with something new, but leadership, fighting spirit, and actual will to win was missing with Mayo yesterday. Maybe the qualifiers will force them to shape up if they're serious about salvaging their season, but things are really going to have to improve in their fitness levels and overall attitude. Young O'Connor is the captain now, I see. Now is the time for him to lead by example.

highorlow

It's a generator for the flood lights
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Avondhu star

Are we seeing the end of another group of Mayo players who didnt take the opportunity put on a plate?
No point blaming Rochford or indeed Pat Holmes. No more than Galway hurlers with Cunningham the players are taking the easy option if blaming management
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Syferus

Easy to kick the poor Rhus now they're down but if they didn't have so much success we wouldn't be taking so much enjoyment out of them losing. I cringe at the thoughts of what this board would have been saying about our four-in-a-row team back in 1981 when they finally lost their crown.

History was kind to that team and they are regarded as heroes to this day and not as failures. The Dah saw Harry Keegan out around town today and the hushed tones he talked about Harry tells you how the first thing that comes to mind are the great moments and the times everything seemed possible, not the moments when things fell short.

History will probably be kind to this Mayo team too.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on June 19, 2016, 07:04:34 PM
Easy to kick the poor Rhus now they're down but if they didn't have so much success we wouldn't be taking so much enjoyment out of them losing. I cringe at the thoughts of what this board would have been saying about the Earley 4-in-a-row team back in 1981 when they finally lost their crown. History was kind to that team and it probably will be to this Mayo team too.

From what my dad says that was a very unlucky Ros team. Hard to know how history will judge this Mayo team. Because it's a Mayo team, however - I'm not sure 'kind' will be bandied about.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

giveballaghback

I think its fitting that syf writes the Rhubarb obituary, after all he is their no.1 supporter ;D

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on June 19, 2016, 03:13:44 PM

Well done to Galway posters on here. Their team showed great resolve and hunger. Won comfortably in the end.

I wouldn t mind losing too much but the lack of urgency and game management in last quarter was worrying and unacceptable from a team of this experience. Remember this is the same team that took the fight to Kerry with 14 men 2 years ago.
Against a young team yesterday and playing at home they should have been knocking down the doors yesterday in last 20 mins and Galway should have had their backs to the wall. But they were easily able to keep clear. Similar scenarios developed in league games when even a few points lead against us never looked like being clawed back.

The usual old chestnuts will be thrown out but this game was lost from back to front literally. Yesterday was a system failure and everybody involved needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yesterday I thought our setup for far too 'clever', experimental and complicated. Inevitably it was poorly executed. When players started to play their natural strengths just before half time we looked like we could boss the game.
I m not optimistic about the qualifiers but you never know. If they have any temper left there has to be a backlash. Changes are needed in approach - we need to go back more to running game- and there is at least one glaring change needed in personnel. Individually a good few Mayo lads played quite well.

When you win an AI U21 Title. You need to play them.

Simple as.

seafoid

Mayo could still win Sam.  Some personnel changes and anything could happen. I would love to see mayo, Galway and Ros in the semi finals

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2016, 09:17:56 PM
Mayo could still win Sam.  Some personnel changes and anything could happen. I would love to see mayo, Galway and Ros in the semi finals

Not going to happen so you needn't worry about it

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Syferus on June 19, 2016, 07:04:34 PM
Easy to kick the poor Rhus now they're down but if they didn't have so much success we wouldn't be taking so much enjoyment out of them losing. I cringe at the thoughts of what this board would have been saying about our four-in-a-row team back in 1981 when they finally lost their crown.

History was kind to that team and they are regarded as heroes to this day and not as failures. The Dah saw Harry Keegan out around town today and the hushed tones he talked about Harry tells you how the first thing that comes to mind are the great moments and the times everything seemed possible, not the moments when things fell short.

History will probably be kind to this Mayo team too.

I'd agree with most of this. They will go down as one of the greatest teams never to win an AI and they have provided neutrals with some of the most exciting games in a bad period for gaelic football.
However if they don't get their act together in the qualifiers then they will be finished as a group a year or two earlier than I expected. The good news for them though is that they have good players coming through to rebuild so they shouldn't be down for long. Good for football in Connaught for Roscommon and Galway to have a chance of silverware and the opportunity to step up a level.