Mayo v Galway, 18/06/16, McHale Park

Started by Duine Eile, May 29, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Could be tough. I only saw Mayo once in the flesh this year and I left the Hyde fairly disillusioned by the sheer physical strength they had over Roscommon - and yet and despite bossing the hell out of us for 50 mins , they needed a goal that should never have been allowed for overcarrying and some handy frees to win that game. As someone said, they made heavy weather out of beating Ros, Monaghan and Down in the league - and were beaten well by surely the worst Cork team of all time. Have not seen this Galway team and maybe they are as mediocre as everyone is saying. But not without a chance. Could be like 1990, Mayo with their sights firmly set on the All-Ireland, and a sparky Galway team shock them.

rosnarun

Quote from: weareros on June 17, 2016, 02:37:59 PM
Could be tough. I only saw Mayo once in the flesh this year and I left the Hyde fairly disillusioned by the sheer physical strength they had over Roscommon - and yet and despite bossing the hell out of us for 50 mins , they needed a goal that should never have been allowed for overcarrying and some handy frees to win that game. As someone said, they made heavy weather out of beating Ros, Monaghan and Down in the league - and were beaten well by surely the worst Cork team of all time. Have not seen this Galway team and maybe they are as mediocre as everyone is saying. But not without a chance. Could be like 1990, Mayo with their sights firmly set on the All-Ireland, and a sparky Galway team shock them.
the only thing that couldn't handle the heavy weather that day was the hyde park bog
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

I'm sure Kevin Walsh will have Horan's piece nailed to the dressingroom door. If that kind of article doesn't give Galway motivation to do something, then it will be a bad day for Galway.

However, that team Mayo have out should have enough to do it. Any sign of the subs bench?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

The early part of the championship usually throws up a surprise result. We already have had one with Tipp. beating Cork and hopefully that's all there will be.

Beffs

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 17, 2016, 09:41:16 PM
I'm sure Kevin Walsh will have Horan's piece nailed to the dressingroom door. If that kind of article doesn't give Galway motivation to do something, then it will be a bad day for Galway.

However, that team Mayo have out should have enough to do it. Any sign of the subs bench?

He can nail the Koran and the Mona Lisa to the dressing room wall if he wants. It won't make a damm bit of difference if he doesn't have the players, which I don't think he does.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Beffs on June 17, 2016, 11:35:23 PM

He can nail the Koran and the Mona Lisa to the dressing room wall if he wants. It won't make a damm bit of difference if he doesn't have the players, which I don't think he does.
Kevin Walsh has many good players selected tomorrow and numerous more players that are All Ireland club or U21 All Ireland winners that don't want to play for Galway and I think even James Horan knows if he was managing Galway their days of underachieving would probably be over.

Beffs

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 18, 2016, 12:06:29 AM
Kevin Walsh has many good players selected tomorrow and numerous more players that are All Ireland club or U21 All Ireland winners that don't want to play for Galway and I think even James Horan knows if he was managing Galway their days of underachieving would probably be over.

That's as well as may be, but this current crop of Mayo players have been winning Connaught titles and consistently getting to All Ireland semi finas and finals, every year this decade. Galways players have not. Mayo will have too much for them.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 18, 2016, 12:06:29 AM
Quote from: Beffs on June 17, 2016, 11:35:23 PM

Don't get that tbh. Are you suggesting that Galway would be better if James Horan was managing them? I seriously doubt that if that is what you are saying? or are you saying that Galway's underachieving days are over now anyway?
Horan got a Mayo team competing at a level they should have been at for some years previously. Not sure Horan would be able to improve Galway. They've had other outside managers, in recent years, that failed miserably. Most Mayo people would have been happy with Peter Forde in charge of Mayo but he was like Brian Clough - best option but not considerable. I thought he was doin ok in Galway but...... Joe Kernan could not satisfy palates either. He won an AI and could not generate much enthusiasm. Horan would do no better imo. He didn't even win an AI! He'd be ran as well.
Galway have to get their act together from inside out. Surprising that no managr has come through from 98-01 team. Maybe Walsh can do it still. Liam Sammon their best manager in recent years and a top coach. Unfortunately Sammom got the job too late because football had moved on. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with the Johnno teams when football then would have suited him.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Beffs on June 18, 2016, 01:14:15 AM
That's as well as may be, but this current crop of Mayo players have been winning Connaught titles and consistently getting to All Ireland semi finas and finals, every year this decade. Galways players have not. Mayo will have too much for them.
I predicted earlier that Mayo should win comfortably. My point was Galway do have the players however they are not exposed to the professional preparation that the Mayo players are. I wouldnt go back a decade either. The majority of this panel of Mayo players arrived in 2011 with a win against the defending All Ireland champions Cork against the odds.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on June 18, 2016, 01:49:44 AM

Don't get that tbh. Are you suggesting that Galway would be better if James Horan was managing them? I seriously doubt that if that is what you are saying? or are you saying that Galway's underachieving days are over now anyway?
Horan got a Mayo team competing at a level they should have been at for some years previously. Not sure Horan would Galway. They've had other outside managers, in recent years, that failed miserably. Most Mayo people would have been happy with Peter Forde in charge of Mayo but he was like Brian Clough - best option but not considerable. I thought he was doin ok in Galway but...... Joe Kernan could not satisfy palates either. He won an AI and could not generate much enthusiasm. Horan would do no better imo. He didn't even win an AI! He'd be ran as well.
Galway have to get their act together from inside out. Surprising that no managr has come through from 98-01 team. Maybe Walsh can do it still. Liam Sammon their best manager in recent years and a top coach. Unfortunately Sammom got the job too late because football had moved on. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done with the Johnno teams when football then would have suited him.

I think you do get it and have touched on it already by saying Galway have to get their act together from inside out. You see once things click for Galway competing at a level they should have been at for some years previously will be their reply also.

What I am suggesting is Galway need a manager of the mold of Horan who will bring in a management team which will give the required level of professionalism and organisation to their setup and rise them out of their current underachieving state. In the time Mayo have won 5 in a row Connacht titles and established themselves as a top 3 team in Ireland Galway have been relegated from division 1 and failed to get out of division 2. Old school management has knocked Galway back and not moving with the times will keep them there for the foreseeable future.

Farrandeelin

Rossfan

18,000 Rhus, 1,000 Galway, 1,500 Ros checking out our opponents.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cornetto

Galway have as much chance of beating mayo as they have of winning Sam!

From the Bunker

Quote from: cornetto on June 18, 2016, 11:39:52 AM
Galway have as much chance of beating mayo as they have of winning Sam!

Now that is an exaggeration. Mayo look likely to win. But it will be a closer match than many predict.

Farrandeelin

I hope Jason Gibbons plays well in midfield. I'm not overly convinced by him this year. Galway's midfield have been in or around for a while now and they should have a good understanding of each other at this stage. The match-up of Kevin Keane and Comer should be interesting too. I hope Keane is left on him because if anyone else tracks him, the defence will be out of shape a bit. Keegan ca.'t be pyt back in the fullback line as it limits his inuence outfield. I think it will be a tough encounter for most of the match. This thing of Mayo winning comforyably has me worried, because if that mindset seeps into the players, then it'll be a right battle. Mayo will have to keep the wide count down this evening I feel.