Tír Eoghain vs An Cabhán Ulster Semi Replay 4pm 03/07/2016 @Clones

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Outside of Petey Harte, who was our stand out player, Cathal McShane was superb. He finally has shown what he is capable off and I really hope he can keep that form going in a fortnight. Great performance by the lads.

On a separate note, there were some mighty hits dished out this afternoon! Moynagh landed a few beauts and Ronan McNamee put some boy on his arse with cracker. The main thing was men got up and got on with it, most un-Tyrone like ;)

ONeill

Hard to believe Harte was given the run of the field today.

Also, why was McKiernan tracking McCrory when Aidan moved forward? Tyrone rarely give McCrory the ball. If McKiernan had stayed where he was and Cavan broke then they'd have made a bit better hay.

Cavan sideline was suspect today. Some poor decisions.

Harte will be targeted early on v Donegal. Also, Colm will be bypassed. Rory left after 60 mins - he'll know rightly who to tell Murphy to cynically maim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Give and Go

Couldn't fathom some of Cavan decisions.
Thought they were very slow to make changes. Argue did very well when he came on but it was far too late. Why wasn't he on the pitch earlier? Likewise how has Johnston gone to not even getting a minute of the pitch?
Was Giveny hurt - I hope it wasn't a tactical substitution or Hyland has lost the plot...
McVeety looked to pull up before being taken off. Injured?
Galliigan was poor on his short kick outs - even though Tyrone gave them up!! Couldn't believe how poor some of them were.
Mackey worked hard all through and 1-3 was a goof contribution. Clarke scored a cracking point with the outside of the boot but it was a one off and had two wides.
McKiernan 0-7, 3 from play yet looked sluggish.

Tyrone though were unreal and no one could live with them today.

Carlow game coming at the right time to get back on track.

omagh_gael

Tomas and Ciaran blowing some smoke up Tyrone's hole on the Sunday Game. The game reminded me of Donegal's ambush against Dublin three (?) Years back. When Dublin left oceans of space between their midfield and full back line. Haven't seen a goal like McAliskey's since I was u-14! Donegal's dwfensive wall will be a much tighter examination. Will be interesting to see how we face up against it, I think the major difference is the speed of our play and searing pace of some of the new guys. Our Ulster nightmares against Donegal's to be avenged in a fortnight.

Hon the red hands!!

ONeill

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 03, 2016, 11:30:41 PM
Tomas and Ciaran blowing some smoke up Tyrone's hole on the Sunday Game. The game reminded me of Donegal's ambush against Dublin three (?) Years back. When Dublin left oceans of space between their midfield and full back line. Haven't seen a goal like McAliskey's since I was u-14! Donegal's dwfensive wall will be a much tighter examination. Will be interesting to see how we face up against it, I think the major difference is the speed of our play and searing pace of some of the new guys. Our Ulster nightmares against Donegal's to be avenged in a fortnight.

Hon the red hands!!

Shipping 5 goals in 2 games is a blow to the confidence.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on July 03, 2016, 11:37:49 PM

Hon the red hands!!

I wouldn't be too worried, two out of the three goals the first day out were from silly defensive slip ups and both goals today were scored when the game was over and Colm Cavanagh was off the pitch.

cavanmaniac

Cavan are supposedly five years building/progressing/improving/learning/honing/crafting etc. and yet they've played Tyrone four times since January and didn't look like they belonged in their company on any occasion, drawn game included. Under Hyland, Cavan have failed to even make an Ulster final or win a game against a high-ranked team when the chips are down or the match is tight (maybe v Derry, once). Tyrone were always going to be a little better than us, I said so in the lead up and was realistically looking for a performance in our display, but they're not Dublin and to be still so far away from teams of this calibre is crushingly disappointing and a sharply pointed reality check at this stage. In the cold light of day, that's not exactly an inspiring summation or positive reflection on the Hyland project, so maybe it's time for a new man to take over - we've done absolutely nothing of note in championship where it counts and when it matters, and we can't keep trotting out the 'young lads'  and 'we're only learning' line time and time again. These boys are putting in serious, commendable, admirable effort and can't be expected to retain confidence or even interest/motivation in Hyland's well-intentioned but flawed management, even if reaching Division 1 is a laudable achievement. A top class manager would be getting more out of this Cavan side I feel, how much more we can't be sure because they're so firmly stuck in a state of potentiality for four seasons now that an accurate estimation of what they're capable of is hard to gauge.

I'm not into personal character assassinations or anything like that but I genuinely believe, with all respect and gratitude due, that Hyland has run his course - I thought so after last year's championship and although the league reprieved him a little, he's been somewhat exposed again.

LeoMc

Quote from: ONeill on July 03, 2016, 11:05:57 PM
Hard to believe Harte was given the run of the field today.

Also, why was McKiernan tracking McCrory when Aidan moved forward? Tyrone rarely give McCrory the ball. If McKiernan had stayed where he was and Cavan broke then they'd have made a bit better hay.

Cavan sideline was suspect today. Some poor decisions.

Harte will be targeted early on v Donegal. Also, Colm will be bypassed. Rory left after 60 mins - he'll know rightly who to tell Murphy to cynically maim.
Maybe that is because McKiernan was tracking him :P

nrico2006

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 03, 2016, 11:43:30 PM

Hon the red hands!!

I wouldn't be too worried, two out of the three goals the first day out were from silly defensive slip ups and both goals today were scored when the game was over and Colm Cavanagh was off the pitch.

Exactly my thoughts, plus when you look at the first game two were arguably square balls and one of the goals yesterday was down to fortune after the ball was beating around like a pinball.  But as you said, the game was over by then and Tyrone had emptied the bench.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omagh_gael

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 04, 2016, 08:15:21 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 03, 2016, 11:43:30 PM

Hon the red hands!!

Exactly my thoughts, plus when you look at the first game two were arguably square balls and one of the goals yesterday was down to fortune after the ball was beating around like a pinball.  But as you said, the game was over by then and Tyrone had emptied the bench.

Mackey's goal was also a blatant square ball, some strike by Brady for his goal though.

Mikhailov

square ball rule is finished lads unless it is from a free kick or side line ball - maybe I am wrong.

Mackey goal was ok, yes he maybe in the square but it was in open play so no decision to be made. Same applies for Givney 2nd goal the first game, he was in square to fist ball over ONeill but it was in open play.

Maybe congress changed the rules again but this the way I thought it was....

sambostar

Quote from: Mikhailov on July 04, 2016, 09:08:41 AM
square ball rule is finished lads unless it is from a free kick or side line ball - maybe I am wrong.

Mackey goal was ok, yes he maybe in the square but it was in open play so no decision to be made. Same applies for Givney 2nd goal the first game, he was in square to fist ball over ONeill but it was in open play.

Maybe congress changed the rules again but this the way I thought it was....
I thought the rule was changed so that from open play you can now enter the small square after the pass is made. It's still a square ball from open play if you're standing in the small square & someone passes to you. Rule used to be you couldn't be inside the small square before the ball - and this still applies from dead-ball situations

comeysfield

Square Ball rule Set Play (Free Kick) Old Rule applies, from Play new rule you can be in square once ball played but cannot stand in the square like a gobshite, Exception below means Mackey goal was Ok as he moved into square as ball was played then was there for rebound 

4.9 For an attacking player to enter opponents'
small rectangle:
(a) During Play (excluding Set Play), before the
final play of the ball into the small rectangle.
(b) In Set Play, before the ball enters the small
rectangle.
Exceptions
(i) If an attacking player legally enters the
small rectangle, and the ball is played
from that area but is returned before the
attacking player has time to leave the
area, provided he does not play the ball
or interfere with the defence, a foul is not
committed.
(ii) When a point is scored from outside the
small rectangle and the ball is sufficiently
high to be out of reach of all players, the
score shall be allowed even though an
attacking player may have been otherwise
illegally within the small rectangle before
the ball - provided that the player in
question does not interfere with the
defence.

CC1

Cavan completely lost the game tactically. The gap between the full back line and the half back line has not been addressed. It was evident from the league final in Croke park and the Armagh game that we leave our full backs exposed to one on ones. Tyrone targeted this and it is where we ended up leaking soft goals.

Management have to foot some of the blame for this. We have gone from a defensive style to a gung ho attacking styled team this year, the warning signs were there in the last few games and we will go nowhere quickly unless a balance is found.

That said, some of the tackles yesterday were very poor and several lads on the team should take a long hard look at themselves and ask themselves do they want to put their body on the line to win trophies. On yesterday's evidence, they don't.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Fuzzman

I think the reason for some of the big score lines now is that the teams who play this "on the break" style of game are now attacking much faster with players running ahead of the ball into space.
A few years ago it used to take Tyrone ages to crab their way up the pitch playing the ball a lot more laterally.

As Cavan and Derry found out to their cost, they suck you into their 40, strip the ball from you and then kick it a lot more than they used to into the space between your exposed full back line and where the move has just broken down from. The third goal yesterday was a prime example of that where Cavan had to press numbers forward but when they lost it Cavanagh knocks the ball forward to McAliskey and he has a clear run through to goal with 2 players supporting him if he needed them.

Donegal will probably not leave the same gaps as they will try to keep it tight for the whole game.