Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyCake on June 18, 2016, 12:39:02 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 18, 2016, 12:35:24 AM
Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 12:21:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2016, 12:18:34 AM
278 posts in  :o
It's only taken 628 posts to blow my cover.

Thought I was doing a cracking job as a fifth columnist.

Don't be off joining M15 just yet I had be doubt's after reading only one of your posts.

Here is the question for you why is it that Unionist can feel comfortable supporting the Irish Rugby team in Dublin and nationalist/republicans don't feel the same level of comfort at Windsor Park ?

Because rugby toffs are apolitical.

Far from it

Tonto

Don't be off joining M15 just yet I had be doubt's after reading only one of your posts.

Here is the question for you why is it that Unionist can feel comfortable supporting the Irish Rugby team in Dublin and nationalist/republicans don't feel the same level of comfort at Windsor Park ?
To be honest you'd have to ask a nationalist who doesn't feel comfortable at Windsor Pk or a unionist who goes to rugby that question. I'm neither.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 12:25:09 AM
You fellas are obsessed with religion.

Because in the north of Ireland, religion equals not only political viewpoints, but for the most part dictates conversations. Clearly with your presence on the board, there are some exceptions, but many would be awkward bringing up GAA around anyone who might be a Protestant, Incase they were offended. The OO complaining about the number of Catholics in the civil service and how they have the cheek to talk about the GAA, First Holy Communions and Christenings shows this up.

People can try and say 'religion is irrelevant', but until the unionist and nationalist communities realise they are having their strings pulled by those in power to manipulate the tiny differences in what Jesus said at the Last Supper (incredibly simplistic view but you get the point)  in order to create havoc, someone's religion will always be important. 

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 12:44:21 AM

To be honest you'd have to ask a nationalist who doesn't feel comfortable at Windsor Pk or a unionist who goes to rugby that question. I'm neither.

Fair enough but I was asking you for an opinion.

Tonto

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 18, 2016, 12:46:53 AM

Ok - maybe it's because unionists accept the legitimacy of the southern state even if they have no allegiance to it and are willing to respect the jurisdiction they are in, whilst nationalists have never accepted that NI has a right to exist?

Tonto

Quote from: T Fearon on June 18, 2016, 12:37:32 AM
I for one am amazed by the hypocrisy on this thread.No one lambasts and insults Catholics and catholicism  more nowadays than lapsed Catholics,of whom there are many on this thread and board.To feign some proxy offence and presumably reinstate as temporary Catholics to do so,and be offended by coloured cloths and music is laughable.

The NI football team reflects the state with a unionist majority,and a part of the UK.The Republic team represents nationalists North and South.For football loving neutralists you can now go and watch a game at either side's home  stadium in an atmosphere devoid of sectarianism,and that is progress.
Good post. Never thought I'd say that about one of your posts TRTF but there's a lot of sense in it.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 12:48:27 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 18, 2016, 12:46:53 AM

Ok - maybe it's because unionists accept the legitimacy of the southern state even if they have no allegiance to it and are willing to respect the jurisdiction they are in, whilst nationalists have never accepted that NI has a right to exist?

Any Unionist that I know who support tge Irish Rugby team have massive allegiance to a team which represents the Irish nation.

Tonto

They have allegiance to the team, not to an "Irish nation". Otherwise by definition they wouldn't be unionist.

Quote from: T Fearon on June 18, 2016, 12:37:32 AM
I for one am amazed by the hypocrisy on this thread.No one lambasts and insults Catholics and catholicism  more nowadays than lapsed Catholics,of whom there are many on this thread and board.To feign some proxy offence and presumably reinstate as temporary Catholics to do so,and be offended by coloured cloths and music is laughable.

The NI football team reflects the state with a unionist majority,and a part of the UK.The Republic team represents nationalists North and South.For football loving neutralists you can now go and watch a game at either side's home  stadium in an atmosphere devoid of sectarianism,and that is progress.

Yeah totally meaningless, my suggestions are a red, white and blue fleg with a swastika and the anthem of Fenian Record Player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDDEtbMygI  8)
O'Neills Therapist

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 12:56:19 AM
They have allegiance to the team, not to an "Irish nation". Otherwise by definition they wouldn't be unionist.

Not just as simple as that...Unionism and Irishness are never polar opposits. Edward Carson was both Unionist and committed to his Irish identity.

Tonto

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 18, 2016, 01:08:31 AM

Not just as simple as that...Unionism and Irishness are never polar opposits. Edward Carson was both Unionist and committed to his Irish identity.
Yes but obviously not the idea of an Irish nation!

Just like you can be Scottish and British, for Carson he was Irish and British.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 01:11:00 AM

Ok so it works like this then.

Unionists from the North feel comfortable to travel to Dublin to support their country Ireland .
but have no allegiance to the Irish Nation which the team represents.

Nationalists on the other hand have no allegiance to the Northern State and have serious reservations about supporting the team that represents that state ?

Its a little confusing. On the other hand Lansdown Rd and the 26 countries have never been a cold house to unionists. Windsor and the Northern State  have very much been a cold house to Nationalists and for 40 - 50 years this was institionalised.

As I said I do sense a change in attitudes of the NI supporters which is great to see better late than never.

The case of identity I think Unionist are a little more Irish than you think and nationalist have always been Irish with little or no Britishness attached and will always find it difficult to have an allegiance to an Irish (northern) side which does not represent the Irish nation.

BennyCake

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 18, 2016, 01:40:03 AM
Quote from: Tonto on June 18, 2016, 01:11:00 AM

Ok so it works like this then.

Unionists from the North feel comfortable to travel to Dublin to support their country Ireland .
but have no allegiance to the Irish Nation which the team represents.

Nationalists on the other hand have no allegiance to the Northern State and have serious reservations about supporting the team that represents that state ?

Its a little confusing. On the other hand Lansdown Rd and the 26 countries have never been a cold house to unionists. Windsor and the Northern State  have been very much been a cold house to Nationalists and for 40 - 50 years this was institionalised.

As I said I do sense a change in attitudes of the NI supporters which is great to see better late than never.

The case of identity I think Unionist are a little more Irish than you think and nationalist have always been Irish with little or no Britishness attached and will always find it difficult to have an allegiance to an Irish (northern) side which does not represent the Irish nation.

There's your basis for a United Ireland. Problem solved. Give that man a statue.

Milltown Row2

Rugby is watched by different people, end of.... Been to Ravenhill/kingspan many times and its a great spot, families groups of men plenty women, all supporting Ulster.... Fire in the no segregation of the away supporters and it gives you a sense that this place has some cracking people.....

I've very close friends , people who have been brought up if you want to say as prods, in all my time (and its a lot of drinks/nights out and nights in) there has never been any shit, I even brought a lad to do umpire for me at a championship match.... I'm never done talking about gaa or being asked about it.....

If you're looking to find trouble or dickheads you'll get you're fill of them on both sides, people on here trying to take the moral high ground because of the political situation here are fooling themselves.... There are as many bigots on both sides keeping this place as it is, divided
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Is the Irish Tricolour not one of the most inclusive flags in the world....Orange for the followers of William of Orange and all that....white for the hope of peace between the communities...do any Unionists know that?

I've said before here somewhere....I went to NI v Albania in 1996 as a young enough secondary school pupil given free tickets from my soccer team. The Sectarianism that day scared me to death. Was a Saturday afternoon meaningless enough game but the venom in some men frightened me to an extent that I was in fear for my safety if I was 'found out.'
I accept it has changed for the better but I won't be back...I would love the chance to go and watch Spain etc on my doorstep but won't.  I don't agree with NI as a state so will never support them but I was happy they did well the other day and wouldn't wish them beaten.
The anthem is toe curlingly embarrassing.  Look at Kompany's tweet the other day...yes he's ignorant but it is totally embarrassing. ..

Flag is awful, unofficial and a stain on all our eyes...festooned on every lamppost at the entrance to my new build estate by bald headed, tattooEd,  squinty eyed neanderthals.  They made it their business to come out of their nearby Rathole estate and 'mark out' this estate that I work my bollox  off to live in, lowering my house price as they do so...challenge these NI top wearing ladder holders and I may have my house burnt down never mind my house price lowered. "Excuse me kind sirs would you mind not putting up 15 flags at the entrance to this new build middle (I would say working but apparently you're now middle class if you have a job and pay for your own house) class development /estate...it's lowering the value of my house and prompting my friends who visit to ask if it's safe to live here....not to mention it's a complete f**king eyesore?"...you could only imagine the response from the Hills have Eyes boys from the estate 1 mile away if I said that

I went to near every ROI game when I lived in Dublin...totally different atmosphere and experience.  Everyone knows who they are and there is a feeling of identity not experienced up here. Make their own laws and don't have to constantly look to a country across the Irish Sea for everything. Why unionists  want to basically be England and love a 90 year old lady monarch and sing about her baffles me

As stated before somewhere also...I told ones in work in Dublin that I would remove my Antrim tassles from my rear view mirror and not wear GAA gear in town when I return to belfast for fear of attack or whatever..they laughed like we were demented up here. By attack i mean i wouldn't leave my car in town,say edge of Sandy row with antrim paraphernalia in it or the window could be potentially smashed...something that you wouldn't have to think about in a normal society

I've went off tangent here but despite being born in Belfast I support the ROI with every bit of me...beating Romania in1990 on penalties sent me on a journey that won't end until death or a united irish team.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."